Sylgard 184 availability & replacements

General materials & resin discussions
akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#61 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:07 am

Just to let you know
Fabbers is NOT in any way referring to any products that are associated to or with the NuVat What so ever.
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#62 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:27 am

This is particularly important as part of the vetting process of how good this product will be for
everyone. http://www.b9c.com/support/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=2238.0#postid-23281

by the way in the future watch that thread for any updates

Fabbers
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#63 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:34 am

No, I didn't want to be misunderstood. The link I gave was to a Russian replacement for sylgard. Thanks the the dive in the ruble it is very cheap right now, but not the no coating option that akgold has been discussing.

ROSITAGIOIELLI
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#64 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:36 pm

The best solution for clouding problem (i'm using from more than100 ours nothing happen!! see at http://www.b9c.com/support/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=2223 there is a tips: spruce on surface before print silicone spry!! the only problem is that you must clean the vat every print

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#65 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:48 pm

Starting tomorrow I will be testing on the 1.2 machine at 30 xy and 25 and 30 z. Keep u posted.

Robert
Dance like nobody's watching!

tim.yoshi
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#66 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:16 pm

Make sure to try some really tall prints ;)
For example just a straight cylinder 1-4 mm in diameter to the full height of your models (should not add any time to print) - this should be almost deadly to PDMS. Let's see how NuVat feels about it.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#67 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:13 am

Ok Tim, I will do it.

Robert

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#68 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:16 am

Quote from tim.yoshi on November 13, 2014, 05:16
Make sure to try some really tall prints ;)
For example just a straight cylinder 1-4 mm in diameter to the full height of your models (should not add any time to print) - this should be almost deadly to PDMS. Let's see how NuVat feels about it.

how tall should the 4 mm cylinder be?

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#69 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:28 am

The taller the better. Ideally we could print a solid cylinder the entire 200mm height without damaging the coating. :)
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#70 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:33 am

currently printing 1m 2mm 3mm 4mm
10 mm high
2 hr print on my ver 1.1 using 1:1 mix resin.
I will let you know the results

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#71 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:32 am

I'm about to start a print of one of my pendants at Z 198.5mm on the NuVat material as per Forum interest.
It will be printed at 50 XYZ.
I wonder how many days it will take with B9 Red. : )

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#72 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:03 am

Eeek

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#73 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:40 am

For your sake hope all goes well. Waiting on resuts (whenever that is).

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#74 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:09 pm

changed the sweeper position.
I notice that after cleaning the vat I can see where the sweeper is making scratches ( couldn't pnoto them) on the NuVat surface.
so I switched the position of the sweeper and changed it to the old one, Shorter, from original vats and reversed it so the resin flows out
I was worried it would splash the resin up behind it so I left the springs off and it slid up on the vat as it moved back as you can see.
Mike couldn't have designed any better as a result it pulls up and the resin flows under it at the last moment.
other thing is I over filled the vat because it didn't come up to the bottom of the table. It would have if I had not filled it before I put I started the print. no biggie no spilling so far.
also as a result the resin levels are staying and settling quicker it is mixing the resin and we will see how it turns out.
little video here

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#75 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:09 pm

ok no video on pictures
here it is on YOU Tube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6jzOdf-LMs&feature=youtu.be

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#76 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:50 pm

with resin in vat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZY24NI3rpY&feature=youtu.be

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#77 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:41 pm

well I have interesting results
not all good
prints did fail but my problem of adhering to the table is back I even tried the card under the table trick
but I am still loosing the prints one or two are stuck to the vat the others are on the table but I quit it with 30 minutes left to go.
I figure the ones stuck to the table would have continued but I didn't want to continue exposing the lost prints just more to filter out.
This time I used 4 cylinders in 4 positions around my table.
something I screwed up on was I forgot to put the screws in to hold the vat. so I did that half way through
I have to admit I have understood that the XY movement the vat seems to have and we have all asked about it, did not affect the print process.
after working on this today I think I might change my mind. I am wondering about vat movement front to back in the X that it could add to the pressure causing the prints to release from the print table. I am probably wrong but still it seems to me that if the vats travel was not allowed to move other than side to side during the release could that actually cause the prints to release from the build table or add to the stress on the adhesion of it to the table?
pictures soon
also the printed cylinders came off the table and measured without curing was
first print
2mm x 10mm= 1.94mm x 9.76mm
3 x10 = 2.92 x9.79 mm
6 x 10mm = 5.96 x 9.76
second print of 4 sets of cylinders

anthid

Post#78 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:39 pm

Quote from akgold on November 14, 2014, 02:41
but I am still loosing the prints one or two are stuck to the vat the others are on the table but I quit it with 30 minutes left to go.

It is very important to know if the pieces that didn't adhere showed this behaviour in the very first layer (or second, or third) or later on in the printing process. With proper calibration it shouldn't happen later on.

With PDMS, if we underexpose the first layers, they simply won't adhere to the build table. If we expose it in a certain range, the will adhere (this is what we want). And finally, if we overexpose, they will adhere to the build table, but also to the PDMS, maybe caused by heat or who knows, but the fact is that overexposure results in prints adhering to PDMS.

Well, maybe this new coating doesn't share that time range where pieces adhere to build table but not to PDMS, so we have to find the optimal exposure values for the first layers.

Quote from akgold on November 14, 2014, 02:41
could that actually cause the prints to release from the build table or add to the stress on the adhesion of it to the table?

If your hardware are well aligned and calibrated and your exposure values are also correct, it shouldn't. At least not at a level to cause print detachment.

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#79 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:20 am

My suspicion, based on my results with several non-pdms coatings I tried early on, is that the release (slide) friction is much greater for non-pdms coatings. This may not be an issue on small, short items like rings, but for larger, taller items, this friction may be too great and result in the part being pulled off the build table before it's completed.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#80 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:36 am

Tim I would try printing with a foundation base on each cylinder.

Robert

Return to “General”