Red Door Distributions
www.reddoordistributions.com
619-564-6698

brumbaer
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Sylgard 184 availability & replacements

Post#42 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:06 am

Looks like the days of "sliced bread" being the "greatest thing" are numbered.

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#43 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:28 am

I think you all might be right it has been for me and others here as well.
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

Arno-Millenaar
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#44 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:46 pm

I hope and think that Tim (akgold) has found a way to apply nano surface coating to glass for our application in the SLA/3D printer world. I have lately been looking at this technology myself, however it would take a lot of time and testing to find the right supplier/compound and time is something I currently running short on.

MIT and Harvard University among others have in the recent year developed some amazing 'stuff' that could very well be applied to our field and needs.

Take a look at some of the articles below and just imagine if this would work for our application:

Slippery Liquid-Infused Porous Surfaces (SLIPS) - http://wyss.harvard.edu/viewpressrelease/120/

http://mitei.mit.edu/news/novel-slippery-surfaces-improving-steam-turbines-and-ketchup-bottles

This is a video of the spin-off company from the MIT development: [embed]www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPM8OR6W6WE[/embed]

Problem with the above Ultra Ever-Dry coating is that it is not transparent but slightly white/translucent. So its not the solution for us, but demonstrates what this 'stuff' can do.

Nissan just announced a 'self cleaning' car using this 'stuff'. http://www.gizmag.com/nissan-ultra-ever-dry-self-cleaning-car/31784/pictures

In fact I believe that some of these coatings are so 'repelling' that in fact they create a layer of air/oxygen in between the fluid and the coating itself. Hence there you have your oxygen inhibitor. Having said that, if the coating is so slippery, we may not even need the use of Oxygen inhibitor any more. Something Tim already indicates, stating he doesn't need the scraper anymore.

I for sure will become one of 'Tim's' customers if he has been able to apply such a technology in solving our needs for having vat's that no longer need PDMS to function and no longer fog's. Even if we need to re-apply the coating after some weeks (i.e. many prints), however not having any fogging, this would be acceptable to me.

I keep my fingers crossed and already a big thanks toward Tim for spending the time and effort in trying get something better than PDMS to work. Can't wait to place my first order.

tim.yoshi
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#45 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:26 am

Regarding last post about nanocoatings - I'm sure it is not it.
It was discussed here a lot, but likely it will not work. At least just because principles here are different. It is repellent to WATER, not resin. Also I tend to think that if even some nanocoating will work as it should, it anyway will not last long. I guess one-two prints not any longer.
My bet here is that it is (what my namesake is testing) is some kind of film. There is much of them on the market, literally thousands. And most likely some of them are able to inhibit cure, maybe in even different way than PDMS, but still effectively.
I guess we'll know soon. I hope so at least :)

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#46 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:50 am

I've been printing without PDMS, using the material furnished to Tim, since June. No failure of material, no fogging. I've been printing 1-3 prints per day, most days. Most prints are 3-9 hours. I've printed B9 Red, MadeSolid Black and FireCast. With the last two resins, no blade is necessary. The surface of the build layer looks like glass (except where it shows scratches from the blade). I print at 50 XYZ.
I love not waking up in the middle of the night, when a print is going on, and wondering if my PDMS just failed and the vat is ruined.
When I first started printing with Black, I overexposed and the resin was bonded to the coating. I had to chip it off with a credit card. Amazingly, the coating was undamaged. PDMS would have been toast.

TAJS
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#47 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:00 am

You guys are killing us! No more teasers from beta users....just notify us here on the forum when all is ready.... :)

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#48 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:27 am

That should be soon. Its taken a while to get testing done by folks here with credibility. That seems to have moved off dead center.
I've had three vats converted (one for each resin) and all work perfectly.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#49 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:06 am

Great new Larry should have my vat for testing in couple of days. I can't wait.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

Centaur
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#50 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:39 am

Quote from akgold on November 10, 2014, 14:48
oh I forgot to mention I have removed the wiper as well. There is no need for it.

Whilst I understand that coating doesn't need oxygenating, like PDMS, isn't a good idea to retain the sweeper to clear any loose bits from the build area?

I'm looking forward to finding out more about this new coating.

Anyone want to buy some PDMS? ;)

Arno-Millenaar
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#51 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:03 am

Quote from Centaur on November 11, 2014, 12:39
oh I forgot to mention I have removed the wiper as well. There is no need for it.

Whilst I understand that coating doesn't need oxygenating, like PDMS, isn't a good idea to retain the sweeper to clear any loose bits from the build area?

Just ordered 4 pounds (4 x Sylgard 184) . Maybe I can re-direct the shipment ;)

BTW: on average i re-cote a vat every day. So every 9 days I use one standard pot (450gr) of Sylgard 184. Dow Corning is going to loose some volume (Business) .. :D

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#52 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:33 am

The other reason to use the sweeper is to keep the resin mixed (pigment will settle over time).

Robert

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#53 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:03 am

Robert is right. The sweeper is necessary for B9 Red. MadeSolid Black and FireCast do not require the sweeper blade.
For those resins, the blade only serves to scratch or wear down the coating.
Where can I get a new rubber edge for my blade? I polished it with diamond compound, but it had prior imperfections that can not
be polished out.

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#54 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:08 am

Quote from Arno-Millenaar on November 11, 2014, 13:03
Quote from Centaur on November 11, 2014, 12:39

Just ordered 4 pounds (4 x Sylgard 184) . Maybe I can re-direct the shipment ;)

BTW: on average i re-cote a vat every day. So every 9 days I use one standard pot (450gr) of Sylgard 184. Dow Corning is going to loose some volume (Business) .. :D

That's about $10/day for PDMS?
How many hours a day do you print on one vat? June-August I was printing 6-20 hours a day and never needed to change the coating. This stuff is like clear steel. I wouldn't abuse it, but in normal use, it just goes and goes.

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#55 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:22 am

By the way, I have no financial stake in sales or rolling this stuff out. Nothing to win except help my friend and help other B9 users. I don't even know what this stuff is. I just happen to have a friend that asked me to test out a material that could potentially replace PDMS for B9 users. I've tested it, and can't imagine using PDMS again.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#56 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:26 am

@lswatson should be on the parts list. Available from McMaster Carr I think. Go to Home page banner and "Resources" > "Project Files" > "Hardware" > "Download Here". It may be the BOM for 1.1 but still has the rubber strip there.

Robert Howle

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#57 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:36 am

Thank you, Robert.
L

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#58 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:38 am

U'r wecome.

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#59 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:26 pm

Not today but soon

One thing about this NuVat to say is this, so far as I know, has only been tested for small resolution printing for jewelry only.
As of yet we have no data on anything other than the a build area of 50 xy 31.75 Slc. standard 1:1 red/cherry mix standard settings.

We need to get more data for 70 and 100 large print settings so there will be a delay
I spoke too soon guys I am sorry.

more later.
Tim
akgold

P.S. Again let it be clear I am just the messenger. the Rah Rah guy the real development and distribution of this product is all Evert's Hard work. I had nothing to do with it other than testing and shouting to the roof top too soon.
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

Fabbers
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#60 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:27 pm

A few B9 users we know have used this and have no complaints. If anyone wants some I can arrange it.
http://realsolar.ru/1665.html

Return to “General”