PDMS replacements

B9Creator - Ideas and Discussions
Aaron RMW
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

PDMS replacements

Post#1 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:46 pm

I'm looking for a permanent or at least significantly less high maintenance replacement for the PDMS coating. I simply don't have the time to recoat a vat every 2 or 3 prints (running 10-12 hours prints) plus it's expensive and the PDMS coating has been giving me other issues. So I'm looking for any and all replacements for the PDMS coating method and info on how they compare to PDMS in terms of coating life, ease of application, and cost. Any info is appreciated.

panastation
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Re: PDMS replacements

Post#2 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:06 pm

let us know when u find it..

mrmatrix

Post#3 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:05 pm

Me too.

Aaron RMW
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#4 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:11 am

it's not a complete replacement but I have tried adding the FEP film on top of the PDMS, it prevents clouding, so far so good, I think this will be a bit of a game changer.

franirs@hotmail.com
Lurker
Lurker

Post#5 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:08 am

Hello how do you hit the FEP sheets in the vat?

Aaron RMW
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#6 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:22 am

I ordered the FEP from a link provided by someone else in the forums. As for applying the FEP I simply cut a piece that would cover a bit more than my build area, pulled off the plastic protective layer and laid the FEP onto a fresh coat of PDMS. I used the side of a Bic lighter to help me smoothly apply the film without bubbles (I still got 1 bubble but it wasn't in the build area so I gently punctured the bubble and squeegeed it down flat with the lighter so I won't disturb the sweeper). I then calibrated the projector and began printing. this was after a thorough calibration with calibration prints on a similarly poured PDMS coat only, my understanding is that the FEP makes large surface area contacts like the first few layers of the calibration print very difficult. so you should have your machine as close to perfect calibration possible. and a really dependable PDMS recoating regimen that gives close to the exact same results every time.

rubendariocba
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#7 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:31 pm

Hello, where do I get the FEP and how many microns does it have? will it serve for the VAT of the core 530? Thanks

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#8 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:57 pm

Users are using FEP for the poly and metal vats only (used with the v1.1 and v1.2).

If u do anything to the DuraVat u will void the warranty and there goes a 1k vat, why would u want to mess with the core vat?

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

Aaron RMW
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#9 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:17 am

rubendariocba wrote:Hello, where do I get the FEP and how many microns does it have? will it serve for the VAT of the core 530? Thanks

I'm pretty sure there's absolutely no reason to do that. From what I understand the core series don't have the same issue of clouding PDMS, or having to recalibrate after recoating (since the calibration is automatic in the core and the recoating/resurfacing is done by B9 or whoever they contract the vats from whenever they need to be replaced from what I understand/assume)

danfurlano
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#10 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:30 pm

I did the FEP over the PDMS and it worked well. Printed 20 of these little guys and not a mark on the surface of the vat.

Although I did disconnect the springs from the sweeper because it was rubbing hard in one spot and leaving a line. Luckily it is on the far side were I do not print.

IMG_7298.jpg

Aaron RMW
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#11 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:21 am

yes I've been having a lot of success with the FEP I'm going to recoat my vats just to put larger pieces of FEP so I can use the 100 xy resolution to print some tabletop terrains and other big stuff that i can live with lower resolution on.

cedricwinterwolf
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#12 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:42 pm

Not seeing a link to where you folks ordered the FEP, original post must be deleted?

Want to make sure I am buying the right stuff.

Thanks!

Return to “General Discussion”