old vista computer to run grower

B9Creator - Ideas and Discussions
mikedajewla
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

old vista computer to run grower

Post#1 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:30 pm

Hello All: I am trying to use an older windows computer that runs vista to run my grower. I plan on slicing on my design laptop and put the b9layout file on a jump drive to plug into this older computer just to run the grower. I thought I hooked it up correctly and had it recognize both monitors. I set up for it to never turn off when the lid is closed on the laptop but something happend and now I cannot see the laptop screen unless I unplug the cable connecting the grower. Should I just go purchase a cheep laptop to run this grower or is there any hope for using old tech? Thanks

mikedajewla
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Re: old vista computer to run grower

Post#2 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:15 pm

Sorry I found this article that helped me resolve at least this problem

"IT WORKS!!

It's the F problem!!! (Function Key) ;) Read on to fix it..

Had the same problem with adding a monitor to my xps.

1.) Attach the connector lead of the monitor to your laptop
2.) So you don't see the display? :D
3.) The laptop has an Function key (Fn key next to the windows start key) on the keyboard. Press and hold the key, and hit the F5 or F8 key or that F key which has the monitor icon on it (it is F5 on toshiba and F8 on dell).
4.) This should fix it.
5.) Sometimes a high resolution to an extended screen can also be a cause of non-display. Just reduce the resolution of your new (additional) monitor to 800X600 and that must fix it.
6.) If these two still don't fix, then your next bet is re-installing your display device drivers. "

mikedajewla
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:23 am

Well after a few grows this old vista computer is not working. The problems it has my be just this laptop or the problem could be between the keyboard and the chair :D I am going to go get a cheap laptop at walmart. Is anyone using a cheap chromebook?

mwm
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#4 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:11 am

Hi Mike,

Good to see you here.

I don't guess a Chromebook will work for you- but I am guessing.

I just pulled up "Refurbished: I3 Windows computers on newegg.com. Windows 7 or Windows 10 will work for you. I have a first generation i3 desktop with Windows 7 running my B9.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductL ... 0601286796

Microcenter also sells refurbished Windows machines.

i3 or i5 Windows machine is all you need as long as you can output 1080 vertical feed to your printer.
Mark Morrell
MWM Jewelers Services

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#5 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:49 pm

can you tell us what model the laptop is?

the obvious answer is don't close the laptop.
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

Return to “General Discussion”