3 delete all the number and letters that come before the "f" of "formlabs"
4 save the file in ".stl"

works perfectly!!!

Rabs1
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Auto support

Post#22 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:59 am

Has anyone got the Preform software + Hex change to work for multiple objects yet? I've tried importing several stl files to preform, generating supports, then exporting to .form and trimming the hex file. When I do this and open the STL in the B9 layout only the first object I loaded into preform appears.
Anyone any ideas?

perpetual_dreamer
B9 Master
B9 Master

Auto support

Post#23 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:19 am

If nothing works, maybe work with one file at a time, convert it to STL using Hex method, open all STL files in a 3D modelling software and save it out as a single STL file.

Centaur
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Auto support

Post#24 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:50 am

I think you can only do it individually - I tried it with multiple models as well and couldn't get it to work. I'll admit I didn't try too hard to get it to work though :)

Rabs1
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Auto support

Post#25 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:41 pm

Yep, one at a time is what I've ended up doing too. The other data must be in the .form file somewhere, I'll try digging a bit deeper when I have time.

thebigconsultant
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Auto support

Post#26 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:57 am

It would not perhaps been to hard to make a "Form 1" import option in the B9 Software??

Centaur
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Auto support

Post#27 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:18 am

Quote from thebigconsultant on June 26, 2013, 09:57

It would not perhaps been to hard to make a "Form 1" import option in the B9 Software??

It would be without access to the .form file specification...

Rabs1
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Auto support

Post#28 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:14 am

Unless you just have it strip the bytes up to 'formlabs' from the file and then treat it as an STL, as we are doing manually. This does limit you to one part per file for now though.

thebigconsultant
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Auto support

Post#29 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:21 pm

Quote from Centaur on June 26, 2013, 12:18
Quote from thebigconsultant on June 26, 2013, 09:57

It would be without access to the .form file specification...

Yes. Thats what I am saying.

Clearly you dont need any info on the .form file specification whatsoever.

All that is needed is to compare the file to an stl, and find out what data needs stripping.

Thus the only work in implementing an Import option in the B9 software is to import .form just like an STL and using the exact same and currently used routine, but to ignore selective streams of data. Say from byte zero to a fixed point, and/or any selective hexidecimal or series of hexidecimal characters that are not part of the STL specification.

Another way around it is to find the STL specification. Then hex the .form file, and find out whats non standard.

Either way. I am saying, that as a programming task, it might be rewarding to make an Import option for .form files. And this would be implemented by using the same routine for reading .STL's but automating the stripping of non STL data from the .form file.

I was about to suggest that someone write a small stand alone program or macro to convert the files automatically. But then it occurred to me that Mikes software is open-source, and so it could be added into the B9 official software as an Import option instead.

It is also possible to compare files in some hex editors I believe. This highlights data that is different and/or the same.

tim.yoshi
B9 Master
B9 Master

Auto support

Post#30 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:21 am

Awesome! Method works like charm! NetFabb really won't import it, but B9 accepts it easily.
However supports sometimes generated stupidly. You really need to double check it, especially on complicated models.

Now I asked my little brother who are training and learning programming to do this simple script/program... whatever it'll be. I can recall that it is something really simple.

perpetual_dreamer
B9 Master
B9 Master

Auto support

Post#31 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:27 am

The best method is to use auto supports, then go in again and remove or add more. Auto supports will never do a perfect job that works really well.

tim.yoshi
B9 Master
B9 Master

Auto support

Post#32 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:51 am

Hm, but how one can manually add or delete automatically generated supports? I never was able to do even something similar like it.

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Auto support

Post#33 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:57 pm

Sounds like the .frm file format is fairly simple, we should be able to figure out how to import those file types. I'll put it on my TODO list.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

b26354
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Auto support

Post#34 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:44 pm

Quote from tim.yoshi on June 27, 2013, 16:51
Hm, but how one can manually add or delete automatically generated supports? I never was able to do even something similar like it.

The hacked STL loads into rhino OK. if it doesn't load into other packages there must be some additional .form specific data after the binary STL data that's confusing them.

@mike - importing the files directly should be easy enough - until the formalbs people decide to change the format - even a simple change to their internal reader/writer will render the files useless to us. And their bases are too thick - I've been setting it to 0.5mm in preform - then scaling down to 0.25 in Rhino.

Rabs1
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Auto support

Post#35 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:03 pm

I also set the base to 0.5mm in preform and then just sank the models 0.4mm into the floor when doing the B9 layout

DennisH
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Auto support

Post#36 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:18 am

I often need very specific and strategic positioning of supports but also wouldnt mind having the option of letting the software lay them out for me.

So an idea Ive thought of would be to add a "paint" feature to tell the software to avoid certain areas?...Face, high detail areas, logos etc...
Im sorry if this has already been brought up...

perpetual_dreamer
B9 Master
B9 Master

Auto support

Post#37 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:17 am

hoping that the next software update Mike had mentioned for this week perhaps will have support generation ^^ can't wait!!

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Auto support

Post#38 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:23 am

It has the ability to place and manipulate supports in layout via point/click/drag. Both object to floor and object to object. Supported objects can be exported (with supports) as a single stl file and upload into other software packages (but overlapping parts are not booleaned so some slicers might not be able to cut it). Haven't tried to import form files yet, but will try to add that soon.
A really nice feature of v1.5.0 is that any future changes I make will not require a new installation. Changes will be hosted on b9creator.com and the software will allow you to update to the current version quickly and painlessly. Makes it easier for me to write updates and distribute them.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

tim.yoshi
B9 Master
B9 Master

Auto support

Post#39 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:56 pm

Awesome news. Can't wait. I think if we will have the nice manual support generator inside B9 program, we will not need the PreForm any more.
Also one question - why to call the program and the printer in the same way? It is confusing sometimes.

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Auto support

Post#40 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:57 am

Good point, what would be a better name for the software? (B9Software, B9Designer, etc???)
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

Return to “General Discussion”