Auto support

B9Creator - Ideas and Discussions
hnphan
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Auto support

Post#1 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:40 pm

I know Mike is working on an auto support generation but I just saw the Form 1 software and it's simplicity of use is really nice:
http://formlabs.com/pages/software

Just wanted to put it out there as an inspiration as I use it now to help me check the best orientation and support where I should place. Too bad it doesnt export to STL....

b26354
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Auto support

Post#2 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:30 pm

Weelllll... it kind of does export STL in that they store the model and support data in binary STL format embedded in their .frm file - so, if you had access to a binary editor, you just need to remove a bunch of bytes from the start of the file (everything before the f in "formlabs"), then save the file with a .stl extension...

This was printed with supports generated in their software - although I deleted some supports in rhino and scaled the thckness of the base to be 0.25mm (the formlabs software has a minimum thickness of 0.5mm)

I expect they'll close that loophole in future versions - although I'd happily pay for a version that did export STL.

having said all that - their support generation isn't totally bulletproof and there's no way to specify that you want to make a support in a specific place.

perpetual_dreamer
B9 Master
B9 Master

Auto support

Post#3 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:14 pm

how easy is it to break off supports using the Form1 software?

b26354
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Auto support

Post#4 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:06 pm

The supports taper down to 0.7mm (which is controllable in the software) and bend to be perpendicular to the surface so it's easy to get small side cutters under them. There's also control for spacing and slope.

You should download the software and play with it :)

kreffell
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Auto support

Post#5 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:18 am

I have just put together a plugin (beta) for Rhino3d to auto generate supports.

Download: http://goo.gl/NYJYD

This beta will expire on the 10th of June - ( Selling for $60 when released )

Keith www.cadwax.com

[embed]http://youtu.be/o2r5lAeMqMw[/embed]

maetti
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Auto support

Post#6 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:30 am

Hi Keith

There comes always a type conflict: box after clicking the box size? No chance to make a support. Can you help? I work in Rhino 5

perpetual_dreamer
B9 Master
B9 Master

Auto support

Post#7 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:04 pm

Quote from b26354 on June 3, 2013, 01:06
The supports taper down to 0.7mm (which is controllable in the software) and bend to be perpendicular to the surface so it's easy to get small side cutters under them. There's also control for spacing and slope.

You should download the software and play with it :)

got a copy ;) updated version v0.8.1 released today xP

hnphan
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Auto support

Post#8 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:10 pm

thanks for the tip b26354!

I didnt even check their file format

kreffell
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Auto support

Post#9 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:55 pm

Hi Maetti,

The Rhino plug-in now works with meshes

[embed]http://youtu.be/aTE1PplcMFY[/embed]

Download: http://goo.gl/NYJYD

Keith

maetti
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Auto support

Post#10 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:21 pm

Keith, I always had to define a box size with your last version. In your video, you don't need to do that. Hope with the new version, it will work. Will try it this evening

Mat

darthviper107
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Auto support

Post#11 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:25 am

Ultimately you might want to stick with doing the supports manually, there's a lot of factors that can go into placement of the supports that are difficult to account for, the main thing I think is that it might place supports on areas you don't want supports. Mostly though you're probably going to end up with more supports than you need for most prints or you could get the risk of it not doing a good job and your print doesn't come out right.

maetti
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Auto support

Post#12 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:05 am

Keith

The problem is the plugin don't work with my Rhino 5.
Is it possible that it don't works because I make it in German? It always brings a failure after that I defined the asked box start and endpoint. In your video, this Start and Endpoint for making a box is not asked from your Plugin at the end of Grid support.

maetti
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Auto support

Post#13 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:11 am

Quote from maetti on June 4, 2013, 12:05
Keith

The problem is the plugin don't work with my Rhino 5.
Is it possible that it don't works because I make it in German? It always brings a failure after that I defined the asked box start and endpoint. In your video, this Start and Endpoint for making a box is not asked from your Plugin at the end of Grid support.

Here are the failures in pictures:

kreffell
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Auto support

Post#14 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:03 pm

Hi Mat,

I tested in German this morning , works fine here - that is a real puzzle.

Also, this morning I have added supports for selected Mesh Faces.

[embed]http://youtu.be/OeG0SZ5Ngsc[/embed]

maetti
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Auto support

Post#15 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:46 am

So bad, it won't work with me, always the same issues. Has anybody the same error messages?

maetti
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Auto support

Post#16 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:47 am

So bad, it won't work with me, always the same issues. Has anybody the same error messages?

Chooch
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Auto support

Post#17 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:01 am

Quote from b26354 on June 2, 2013, 21:30
Weelllll... it kind of does export STL in that they store the model and support data in binary STL format embedded in their .frm file - so, if you had access to a binary editor, you just need to remove a bunch of bytes from the start of the file (everything before the f in "formlabs"), then save the file with a .stl extension...

This was printed with supports generated in their software - although I deleted some supports in rhino and scaled the thckness of the base to be 0.25mm (the formlabs software has a minimum thickness of 0.5mm)

I expect they'll close that loophole in future versions - although I'd happily pay for a version that did export STL.

having said all that - their support generation isn't totally bulletproof and there's no way to specify that you want to make a support in a specific place.

Thanks! That works surprisingly well.

We could probably even write a script to edit the file automatically.

-Brian

Centaur
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Auto support

Post#18 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:53 am

Quote from b26354 on June 2, 2013, 21:30

I tried that but couldn't get it to work, deleting everything in front of the 'f' in form, but when I tried to open the saved STL file in netfabb, it wouldn't load.

I used a hex editor, but if I tried a binary editor I had the same result - if I open the .form file, none of the content is readable, unlike when I open an STL. Can you/anyone else point out where I went wrong, please?

Nice nozzles BTW, what scale/variant of Harrier are they for?

b26354
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Auto support

Post#19 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:34 am

It's binary STL so it's not human readable - try loading the modified file into b9edit and it should look something like this:

And I can import into rhino as well.

The nozzles are for a Trumpeter 1/32 AV-8B

Centaur
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Auto support

Post#20 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:54 am

I tried again, but I can't get it to work - which version of the Preform software did you use? Mine is Build 724 Rev 1352, which I think is the original one they released for download, I haven't applied the update yet.

Am I right in thinking that everything from the start of the file, to before the 'f', starting at 00000000/00 through to 00000854/04 should be deleted? Sorry if I'm coming across as a bit thick here, but delving in and modifying files in this way is something new to me.

I've got a 1/48 Hasegawa GR7 to build one day, when I get round to it, shame to think it's a historic model now.

Edit - It must have been me being a numpty, I've just tried it again and it worked perfectly. Thanks!

Return to “General Discussion”