Lens modification

B9Creator - Ideas and Discussions
vchmiele
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Lens modification

Post#1 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:00 pm

What kind of spacer is used for the lens modification with the Vivitek D912HD?

Also, has anyone tried installing a new lens? I know that there are some very nice machine vision lenses that would probably yield a better image.

Thanks

marios.jewelry.service@gmail.com
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Re: Lens modification

Post#2 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:54 pm

We will have to wait for Mike, or a distributor to chime in, but I don't think projector was modified for the B9.

travisjohnson81
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:37 pm

Spacer is 4mm

tim.yoshi
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#4 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:45 am

travisjohnson81 wrote:Spacer is 4mm

And don't forget rubber (silicone) dust gasket as in v1.1. I believe when one will extend lenses there will be gap as in v1.0. And that should be closed in similar fashion to v1.0-v1.1 with rubber gasket to prevent dust make it's way inside.

Burnsjt
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#5 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:46 am

Is it the same gasket that is in the v1.1 projector? if not where can you get one that will fit the HD projector.

Anvils Hammer

Post#6 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:31 am

Hello,

figured I would try posting in this thread as the topic is similar -

I have a question for Mike about the projector in the V1.2 kit.

Its modified for 30 microns minimum pixel size.

I also have Titan 1 from Kudo 3D, which has a "standard" resolution of 37um, but I dismantled it, inserted some extra spacers to move the lens out, and now it can focus at 25um xy, which is great for the really fine detail prints we do.
The downside is that the projector suffers from quite bad spherical aberration so the useable build area is tiny.

I am wondering - is it possible to modify the B9's Vivtek projector further to take the pixel size down to 25um? Has any one tried this already? Mike - when you designed the modification originally did you experiment with different minimum pixel sizes?

I assume the software cannot be changed, so the machine would need to be run in 30um mode, and the STL scaled appropriately so that its the right size on the smaller build area?

Thanks a lot for your time!

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#7 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:27 pm

Yes, you could modify the project with a bit thicker spacers to get down to probably 20 microns (smaller build area, of course). At some point, you physically will not be able to get the projector close enough for this to focus. And of course, the modified projector will not be able to achieve 70 microns for larger prints.

Our software reads a configuration file to understand the projector, so it could handle whatever you changed it to.

This would be a total DIY, we don't have time to support those types of experiments. :D
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

Anvils Hammer

Post#8 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:19 pm

Thanks a lot Mike!

We don't plan to mod the projector just yet, but its useful to know its possible, and if we do it, we will put up a full "project quide" for others.

Its pretty unlikely we will want to print anything larger than 50 micron xy.

Return to “General Discussion”