Can the arduino be used for fan control?

B9Creator - Ideas and Discussions
mt300883
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Can the arduino be used for fan control?

Post#1 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:02 pm

So to help reduce pdms fogging, I was looking into mounting a usb fan which will blow directly over the pdms. I would just need it to switch off when the vat is in the open position so there's no ripple and disturbance on the surface of the resin.

Is it possible to use the arduino to switch the fan on when in the 'breathe' position and off when not?

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Re: Can the arduino be used for fan control?

Post#2 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:47 pm

You don't need to worry about ripples on the resin. Just mount the fan on the outside and let it pull hot air away from the projector. The air flow is under the vat so no problem. I use to use a small ac powered fan blowing under the unit, but still under the vat.

Fan and mounting.JPG
Dance like nobody's watching!

Capn
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:49 am

I recently added a fan/duct to my B9 and noticed quite a few benefits. I am routing the hot air out of the room now through a pipe in the wall, pulling air from the right side/top of the projector. Prior to my fan setup the aluminum above the projector had an average temperature of 117f peaking in one small area at 130f. While printing the room would get quite warm and smell like chemicals to the point of being unpleasant. After the fan/duct install the same area above the projector averages 87f and I have one spot near the arduino that reaches about 114. The room is no longer hot and there is almost no smell at all from the projector.

behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#4 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:05 am

Capn... do you have images of your setup?

Capn
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#5 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:36 pm

Here is the duct pipe hooked up to the printer. For now I am using a piece of card for a fan guide to get the hot air into the pipe, a more permanent and proper solution will be to make a sturdier shroud out of a different material that I don't have to worry about getting too hot. The bottom side of that card averages about 140f and reaches 170f in one spot. The air leaving the projector through the pipe is about 120f and will heat the black pipe itself to around 95f. It is nice having the pipe duct as a separate unit as it transfers no vibration to the printer. I was pretty amazed at how it pretty much completely eliminated the resin smell, even during a 10 hour print.

1.jpg

Capn
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#6 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:47 pm

And here is the work in progress fan setup. I am trying to find the optimal adapters to get the most out of the setup, I originally had a long vent hose attached to the top that I was going to vent outside thinking there were chemical fumes but that just was not the case. It seems that as far as I can tell the only reason there were fumes was because that projector was heating everything up. Now I just have 120f air coming out the top of this unit. The 6" 250cfm inline fan is rated at 140f so only time will tell if this hot of air will cause it to fail but for now it seems to be holding. I will most likely remove the top metal reducer and just place a cap over the unit when not in use.

2.jpg
inline

mt300883
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:58 am

Wow what a brilliant setup!

Return to “General Discussion”