"Slacking layer" after changing vat

B9Creator - Ideas and Discussions
qnzhou
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#1 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:28 am

Dear all,

I was able to get some great prints last week until the PDMS became cloudy. However, after I switched to a new vat (I have 2 vats for non-stop printing), I am having trouble printing some models that used to print fine before. In particular, I have noticed some type of "slacking layer/residue" (see image below) floating around and interfering with my model. The same model used to print fine with the previous vat. Any one has a clue about what could have caused it? Thanks a lot!

p.s. The new vat is has not been used before, so I assume the initial PDMS layer is good. I have done both built platform calibration and projector calibration multiple times.

behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#2 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:45 am

did you re-calibrate your build table and focus?

qnzhou
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:34 pm

Yes, I have calibrated build table and projector multiple times. Is there a way to check if build table is correctly calibrated? My understanding is that if the build table is not correctly calibrated the cured layer would just sit on PDMS instead of attaching to build table. This loose layer would be swept out by the swiper, and in the end you got an empty build table and a lot of floating layer/residue (and maybe a damaged PDMS).

But as shown in the image above, the first couple layers are good and they stick to the build table without problem. It is the intermediate layers that become slack. Could this also be due to incorrectly calibrated build table?

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#4 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:42 pm

Post print data.
Dance like nobody's watching!

qnzhou
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#5 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:52 pm

Code: Select all

Software Version:  Version 1.7.3    Copyright 2014  B9Creations, LLC     www.b9creator.com

Last Comm Port: COM3
   Display Index: 1
   Last Print Attempt Status: Completed
   Configuration: B9Creator v1.2.0, XY at 50 microns
   Job Name: C:/Users/B9Creator/Desktop/To Print/Dec_9_2014_B9/plate_test.b9j
   Job Data
   Name: plate_test
   XY Pixel Size: 30 µm
   Slice Thickness: 30 µm
   Total Layers: 344
   Material Volume: 0.46 ml

Material Settings
     ID: B9R-1-Red, Description: General purpose, lost wax suitable.
     Calc Base: 1.548, Used Base: 1.548
     Calc Over: 0.077, Used Over: 0.077
     Calc Attach Layers: 2, Used Attach Layers: 2
     Calc ABase: 3.56, Used ABase: 3.56
     Calc AOver: 0.177, Used AOver: 0.177

Cycle Settings
     Unsupported Pixel Multiplier: 0.8
     Shutter Open Speed : 70
     Shutter Close Speed : 60
     Pre Exposure Delay (Settle) : 2.5
     Post Exposure Delay (Kick) : 0.2
     Post Release Delay (Breathe) : 1.5
     Overlift Cutoff (mm) : 0.5
     Initial Overlift (mm) : 3
     Subsequent Overlift (mm) : 1
     Dip (mm) : 0

Job Position
     X Offset: 0
     Y Offset: 0
     Mirrored: false
     Show Grid: true

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#6 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:49 pm

The red is not meant for the thin slices like 30 z. You should be using cherry or 1:1 mix.

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#7 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:17 am

This is a support issue, the unsupported long horizontal layers are breaking when first formed.
You might be able to get away with those large gaps between supports if you increase the settle time and slow the shutter open and close speeds down further.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

KNSCi
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#8 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:26 am

It also looks like configuration is for 50µm xy but the pixel size shows 30µm. You might try angling the pieces about 40 degrees to avoid these droopy parts. It will take longer to prints, but any flat surface like that you try to print that is parallel to the build platform is likely to be a support issue. It's a surprise to hear it has printed well in the past. If you're using a 1:1 mix, try using Mikej's new default Materials settings, they worked well for me on the first try.
ZLab3d, printing with B9Creator 1.1 & 1.2 since 2013

qnzhou
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#9 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:35 am

@robert I have put in an order to cherry resin. With 1:1 mix, I should use the default setting for cherry, right?

@mike Do you have recommendation about what value should I set shutter speeds? The shutter speed felt difference after I swapped vat, but I have not measured it. Could it be possible that shutter speed depends on build platform calibration? I.e. if the build platform is pressing the PDMS harder than previously, the friction could slow down the shutter speed?

As always, thanks a lot for the input!

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#10 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:39 am

Shutter speed is set in the Print dialog and defaults to 70% for "Shutter Open Speed" and to 60% for "Shutter Close Speed". You could try setting both to 40%. You could also try setting the "Subsequent Overlift" to 0.5 mm. These changes can help delicate and poorly supported areas to form better, but your best bet is more supports.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#11 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:47 am

Go here and use Mike's test directions and test values.

http://www.b9c.com/support/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=2265

qnzhou
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#12 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:39 am

I have done a brief test on support density:

It seems 2mm support separation is the only case that has no "floating layers." The test is printed using the default setting shown in my early post. Is 2mm the typical support separation distance?

behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#13 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:46 am

I'm not sure there is a "typical"

qnzhou
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#14 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:02 am

It seems different vat does make a big difference:

With my old vat, I am able to space support much wider without problem. Could the height of PDMS cause this difference?

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#15 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:31 am

If your thickness has changed very much (glass thickness, PDMS thickness, vat bottom thickness) then u should recalibrate the projector along with the build table. Remember u are laying the grid pattern on top of the PDMS so the distance from the lens has changed. U should prob check zoom and focus if u want optimal prints.

Robert Howle

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#16 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:46 am

Were both factory coated metal/glass vats?
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#17 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:53 am

regarding calibration, that is what I was saying earlier... Each time you switch vats you must recalibrate the focus and the table to account for discrepancies in pdms thicknesses.

qnzhou
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#18 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:12 am

@robert, @behold3d Yes, I did recalibrate each time I switch vat. However, as a newbie, I am not confident about my calibration skill. :( Is there an easy way to check the quality of the calibration?

@mike Yes, both are factory coated metal vat. The old one is a bit cloudy but still usable. The new vat has more transparent PDMS.

behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#19 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:17 am

Ok, well that is good. The process is outlined pretty well in the steps when you select calibration in the settings dialog. Some people use a magnifying glass to ensure good focus but I have not.

your problem does not make sense to me though because the supports would be drooping the other way since the table is inverted.

It seems that something else is at play

edited: try lowering msm by .1 or .2 Maybe the cloudiness of your old vat is helping your cure depth and surface tension may be adding material

qnzhou
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#20 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:33 am

@behold3d How does a magnifying glass help in calibration?

I have two hypothesis for explaining the difference:
1. The PDMS of the new vat is not as level as the old vat. This could introduce a suction force pulling down the print when sliding it off the PDMS coating. Since the "slacking layer" are the first layer printed of the horizontal bars, it is actually quite fragile, and the suction force would easily damage this layer, thus this layer is "slacking."

Here is my primitive levelness measurement:

2. The PDMS of the new vat is slightly thinner than the PDMS of the old vat. Since at 30 micron XY and 30 micron Z the projector is already at its limit in focal length. So a thinner PDMS coating could move the printing plane outside of the possible focus range of the projector.

Return to “General Discussion”