B9 controlled by Webserver

B9Creator - Ideas and Discussions
brumbaer
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#1 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:16 am

I do not need my B9 to earn money, so I'm free to experiment with it and to use it to indulge other interests, namely designing hard and software.

Functionally the B9 Software consist of two parts.
The design part to add supports and slice the model and the printer control part to ... obviously control the printer.
As adding supports and slicing is basically part of the design process, it is done on my "main" computer.
Printer control is run from a computer connected to the B9.

Having a 1.1 and a1.2 machine that's two additional computers - it might be possible to do with just one, but I'm not that confident that this will work out well.
Those control computers can be very simple machines, but instead to look for some cheap netbook, I decided to go the full Monty and to create some "intelligent printer controller".
Each printer controller consist of an RaspberryPI, power supply and if desired a Wireless Dongle. The Hardware costs less than 60€ as a set. Taking an educated guess I'd expect the price in the US to be about 60$.

I used a Raspberry B, you could also use a B+, if you wanted. The Wireless Dongle occupies one USB port (the Raspberry has ethernet on board, so you could forgo the Wireless Dongle), the USB cable from the printer occupies the second USB port.
The HDMI cable from the projector is connected to Raspberry's HDMI port.

The Raspberry mounted at the back of the 1.2. The keyboard and display are only printed on the casing and have no function. When using a Wireless Dongle the "greater Printer" needs only power.

The Raspberry shows a split personality to the world.
A network drive, so you can copy files to it's storage - as this is a standard samba server, you can slice your model directly onto the Raspberry's drive.
It also puts up a webpage, which allows you to control the B9 from any "modern" browser.
The Raspberry supports all the printer, material and calibration commands you're used to from the B9 software.
All file formats including the Material library are compatible and so it the Factor Calculator.
There might be differences in the handling of the exposure regarding hotspot and slope - I can't check, because the sources are not longer available.

The Webpage can be accessed from everywhere, if you setup your network accordingly, you could even control it over the internet.
Multiple computers can access it simultaneously. So you can finish a task on the printer from one device, even if it was started on some other device.
The iMac in the back has two browser windows open, connected to the 1.1 (black bar) and 1.2 (blue bar) B9ers.
The iPhone and iPad are connected to the 1.1. All changes are reflected on all devices at the same time.

It's convenient to have a device for printer control at the printer. In this case I use an iPad mounted on a goose neck. The cable connection is the power supply. Of course, I could use my phone or an "mobile" iPad, but having the iPad mounted spares you to look for a save space to lay it down and keeps it out of harms way.
I use the iPad for both B9s - which are located to each other - I just have to tap to switch between them. I could write a browser that has a split window - there's an idea.

The hardware is an unmodified RaspberryPi B.
The software consists of an special application and some data files.

For using Wireless and the Samba Server, you will have to change some configuration files. I could do a setup script for that. Better would be to have a fully configured disk image, but I will have to check copyright issues for that.

behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#2 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:45 am

I always enjoy your posts brumbear I would like to try this

brumbaer
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:17 pm

Hello Lino,
thank you for your interest.
I'll check on the copyright issues and if they work out, I prepare a "disk image" to be copied to a SD card.
Might take a day or two.

behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#4 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:58 am

Take your time

brumbaer
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Re: B9 controlled by Webserver

Post#5 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:48 am

Ok,
i added some routines to ease installation.
I wanted to create a disk image first, but this is just too large to be feasible. So I added install and update scripts or such. So that installation can be done relatively easily.

I described the general procedure here http://brumbaer.de/index.php/3d-printing/38-daddys-2

There is just one command missing. If you want to try it out mail me (email on the webpage, at the missing command).

If there is any interest I may add some more details.

brumbaer
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#6 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:07 pm

Added two new options.

First is Falloff "Calibration"
It's something like Projector Calibration, but instead of size, it shows you where the software - hotspot is and what the software falloff looks like and allows you to change the values.

The hotspot is marked with a red cross. Brighter areas will be exposed longer. So the cross will always be in the darkest area.
When you change fade and balance the cross and the "dark area" will move accordingly, when you change slope the difference in brightness between darkest and brightest spot will change accordingly.
To make best use of it you have to put a paper or something else into the vat to project the image on. I use a piece of back-projection-foil.
When you set the Slope to 0 the paper the image will have the same output in all places. So you can use this setting to see where the "real" hotspot is and move the cross onto it.
Don't forget to set the value for slope back.
The ratio in brightness is the same as the ratio in exposure time. So in theory you could adjust the values, so that the light distribution of the projection is even and have the perfect calibration.
Reality is less perfect as the projection material absorbs light in a different way and you can't be sure that the distribution of uv light is equal to that of visible light. Also the image is not at full brightness because you couldn't look at it.
Time will tell how close to perfect you can get :)
It is useful anyway as it shows you what the parameters do.

The second addition is a Test Print.

Basically it is just the ordinary print feature, with the print area divided in rows and columns.
Each tile is exposed with a different exposure time.
You define the standard exposure time as usual, but in addition you specify Start- and Endfactor.
The tile in the top left corner is exposed using the standard times multiplied with StartFactor. The tile in the bottom right corner is exposed using the standard times multiplied with EndFactor. The exposure times of the other tiles are spread equally in between.
Let's say you use 2 rows and 2 columns,
Base of 3s, Over of 1s, ABase of 12s and AOver of 4s.
Start of .5 and End of 1.5.

The tiles will be exposed starting at the top left tile
1.5s, .5s, 6s and 2s. Factor .5
2.5s, .83s, 10s and 3.33s. Factor .8333
3.5s, 1.16s, 14s, 4,67s Factor 1.1666
4.5s 1.5s, 18s and 6s. Factor 1.5

This is useful to find the correct exposure time for resins, because you just have to do one print to test different exposure times.
Of course the falloff calibration must be at least ok for that to work.
If you know which factor is the right one, you can adjust the values of your material or just copy the factor to MSM.

The image shows the tiles shaded with the relative strength of their factors and the division lines between tiles. You can move the slice around to align parts and tiles.

tobyramp@hotmail.com
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#7 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:25 pm

This is very interesting.

Yianni-VJ
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#8 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:02 pm

Kudos !
Keep up the good work !

RobertH
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#9 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:51 pm

This really is interesting. The past couple days I was actually interested in asking a question whether I could use a windows tablet to run the machine with. Not only it will save me a space on my desk as I run with laptop, but it could be a nice style addition hanging next to the machine 8-) any thoughts on this? It is a windows 8 64gb core i5? How about anything lower then i5?

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#10 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:38 pm

U don't need processing power to print. Do need video out and usb connection and screen resolution to match the version of B9 u are printing on and the ability to extend display. I'm using small ASUS notebook for printing on my 1.1.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

RobertH
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#11 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:47 pm

I dont think it needs the same resolution as v2 1920x1080, only ability to extend the displays. Im sure my laptop is not 1920x1080. There shouldnt be any benefits of having a 1920x1080 screen in my own thoughts.

brumbaer
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#12 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:50 pm

You can run the original B9 software from any Windows (not Windows RT) PC as long as it has the ability to output 1920x1080 (for 1.2 machines) preferably as a second screen, a free USB port and a screen big enough to fit the windows on.

It doesn't matter in which form the PC comes i.e. desktop, laptop, tablet, netbook or whatever.

RobertH
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#13 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:14 am

What you mean screen big enough to fit windows? I have 17" laptop 1600x900 and im able to use it with no issues.

brumbaer
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#14 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:04 am

A screen resolution of whateverx800 are the minimum to fit the windows. Some netbooks have/had less and you can't all buttons.

RobertH
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#15 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:24 am

Thanks for the info

Return to “General Discussion”