Complete fabrication from scratch

B9Creator - Ideas and Discussions
hermesaur

Post#1 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:43 am

Has anyone ever taken all of the reference resources (engineering, circuit schematics, BOMs, etc.) and completely made and assembled a B9 from scratch with their own fabricated parts?

The reason I ask is that I am an adjunct professor at a college in Texas and I am going to propose a multi-department project between or CAD, CNC and robotics departments to make a B9. Unfortunately I cannot order a kit without the fabricated metal so I will have to have the students make everything. I am sure they are capable (or they better be since this will be for a grade) but I wondered if there is anything I should be aware of if we are making all of these parts on our own (i.e. if anyone has tried this and ran into any problems).

We have a CAD department that can reverse engineer the sheet metal in SolidWorks to create flats. We have a CNC lab that can fab the sheet metal and other pieces. We have an electronics/robotics department that can build the boards and assemble everything.

Any info would be appreciated- even just general suggestions Thanks!

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#2 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:18 am

Read this entire thread. He has finished machine now. pretty sure.

http://www.b9c.com/support/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=1494

Robert
Dance like nobody's watching!

hermesaur

Post#3 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:03 am

That's pretty interesting. I hadn't really considered trying to redesign any of the exterior parts but I suppose it would be possible. The CAD students could design their own case parts around the mechanics. I noticed that guy changed the lead screw from a UN 1/4-20 to an Acme 3/8-12 which I probably won't do. Still that is a pretty helpful thread. Thanks.

I know that part of the open source agreement is to share all design files of mods/redesigns. Any idea where I could find these files?

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#4 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:38 am

Don't know that u will find redesign files for users building there own machines. A few mod files have been shared but most concern projector mount. . Maybe contact him.

hermesaur

Post#5 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:08 am

I may do that. Does anyone have a suggestion for the PCB? I am looking at Osh Park or Advanced Circuits. AC has an educational sponsorship program that we might could use but I won't know until my budget proposal is finished and I send them a copy.

extremistu
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#6 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:43 pm

Hi,
I can do the PCB for you with motors, arduino, sensors...

hermesaur

Post#7 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:11 am

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. I will probably have students solder the board and the components together. I was thinking for of the actual PCB to build on. I may skip that idea and have them use a blank breadboard with jumper wires. I'm still in the planning/proposal stage right now.

I still have to get the bureaucrats to approve :(

behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#8 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:53 am

I guess i am confused but why do you need a control board if you have the arduino?

hermesaur

Post#9 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:44 am

I am thinking of a PCB to connect all of the components (like the Arduino) easily without jumper wires everywhere. I don't think I mentioned a control board.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#10 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:29 pm

You can download the assembly instructions and look at all the components. Good photos and good discriptions.

Home page "Resorces" > "Documentaion" > Verison 1.2 assembly instructions"

Robert

Return to “General Discussion”