Anyone build there B9 from scratch?

B9Creator - Ideas and Discussions
Techbuilder

Post#1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:45 am

Hi I was wondering if anyone has built their B9 from scratch?

I currently own a machine shop so I was wondering the cost of building this without the cost of labor
and machining.

I'm assuming about 1200 to 1700?

Any answers or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#2 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:51 am

you can go to the parts list and figure the wire and the arduino unit and the projector. Then whatever it cost to make the cabinet. You can order a vat if u didn't want to fabricate.
Dance like nobody's watching!

hubert.du
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:33 am

Yes, I do.
It's up to where you're. I'm in China, machining including VAT are cheap but 184 and good IC are more expensive than that in USA. But the amount would be similiar.

zanderscreations
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#4 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:22 am

I bought the kit, but just from looking at the aluminum parts I would assume this isn't too difficult to make. Looks like just holes drilled and bent in certain areas, tapped a couple spots, etc. If you are familiar with machining or working aluminum I doubt it would be a problem. I have no idea as I don't have that ability.

I would guess around the price you stated.

cl2635
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#5 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:19 am

I'm sure its not too difficult to build yourself and material isn't very expensive.. It becomes a question of if its really worth your time trying to build one from scratch and whether or not it would cost more when you factor in time and labor. Mike has many of these parts cut in bulk and the printer itself is reasonably priced. I'd say it costs about 2 to 3 weeks of your pay on a regular job. It would probably take more time for ordinary folks without access to cutting machines etc to run around trying to build it yourself and paying manufacturers more money to cut one off parts. And I also doubt you'd get parts manufactured to correct tolerances on the first try. I'm sure its worth it if you want to try building one yourself and maybe doing mods on it also :)

printer_kid
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#6 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:36 am

Take amount of time you spend x your hourly rate and you will surely 'spend' more than if you just bought the damn thing. Support Mike and purchase one, he deserves it.

SeaBorneScanner
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#7 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:00 am

Some people have a lot of free time and little money, there's no point thinking about your 'hourly' rate, or how much his time is worth, because no one would pay him and it's not like he's going to find a 2nd job and use this time in another way.
The saying "time is money" is true only when you're at work.

Return to “General Discussion”