Cherry/Red Troubleshooting

A lost wax capable resin tuned for 30 - 50 micron slice thickness
forscotland
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Cherry/Red Troubleshooting

Post#1 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:29 am

I have a Muve 1.1 printer, Muve flexvat, and Viewsonic PJD7820HD projector. I purchased both the Cherry and Red B9 resin in hopes to print jewelry models. I've mixed a 66% Red 33% Cherry mix. I have the projector distance to the vat producing a 57mm XY resolution and 50mm Z resolution. My exposure times are 40 seconds bottom layer and 8 seconds for the layer times. For whatever reason, I'm not able to get the resin to print. It's not adhering to the buildplate. Does anybody have any suggestions please? I know I have the Muve printer and not the B9, but I am using the B9 resin and the principles should be the same.

Thank you....

Tony

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Re: Cherry/Red Troubleshooting

Post#2 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:21 am

Because of the high wax content of castable resin, the energy requirements are pretty high to effect a cure. Most projectors output very little energy in the 380-420 nm wavelength. You may need to modify your projector to allow more of the UV spectrum to pass through.

The resin cures fine, with the right spectrum and intensity.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

forscotland
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:40 pm

Does anybody know if the PJD7820HD can be modified to emit more of the 380-420 spectrum, and how would I achieve that?

Tony

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#4 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:14 pm

Google that machine and see a parts list and maybe "Exploded view" and see if it has a UV filter between the lamp assembly and the main projector body. This might have to be removed. This is only an educated guess, so make any mods at your own risk. Any breaking of the seal on the projector will void any warranty you might have. Projectors modified by the B9 factory for use with the B9 printer, still have there full warranty (just FYI).

This is what i found with a quick look. Your machine produces 3000 lumens. the D912HD on the v1.2 B9c produces 3500 lumens. It also shows that your machine, in the enery saver mode, has the output reduced by 30%. Also states that it is a filter-less projector. Looks like u need to talk to the manufacturer or a rep.

Maybe someone else can help, but this is all I can do.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

forscotland
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#5 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:44 am

Thank you for the replies. I wish I would have bought the B9! I'm stuck with the Muve printer now, so I need to make it work for my needs. I'm printing jewelry models and the B9 is ideal for that. Slightly frustrated...

Tony

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#6 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:18 pm

Looked at the forum and most prints are at 0.1mm layer thickness (thats 100 microns). Is that good enough for jewelry? Think they were at 50xy but not sure. What xy and z are u trying to print?

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

rkundla
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#7 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:10 pm

I am using a 3:1 ratio red/cherry mix on my Draken DLP printer with an Acer H6510BD which is similar to the Viewsonic PJD7820HD.

Printing at 40um XY and 50um Z requires a 35 second base exposure and a 17.5 second standard exposure to get good adhesion and reasonably accurate prints.

Since you have more cherry in your mix, you either need more exposure or change your layer thickness to 30 um and start testing there.

Based on your comments, I assume you have a mass of cured resin stuck to the vat after the print is complete. Do you even know if it bonded initially to the base plate?

-Ron

forscotland wrote:I have a Muve 1.1 printer, Muve flexvat, and Viewsonic PJD7820HD projector. I purchased both the Cherry and Red B9 resin in hopes to print jewelry models. I've mixed a 66% Red 33% Cherry mix. I have the projector distance to the vat producing a 57mm XY resolution and 50mm Z resolution. My exposure times are 40 seconds bottom layer and 8 seconds for the layer times. For whatever reason, I'm not able to get the resin to print. It's not adhering to the buildplate. Does anybody have any suggestions please?

Thank you....

Tony

forscotland
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#8 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:00 pm

Ron,

Wow, you're getting great prints on your Draken. I'm actually trying to print at 60um XY and 50um Z. I think that's one of my main problems. Since we have such similar projectors, can I ask if you've left the factory settings, or have you changed any of the brightness, contrast, gama, or color modes? Additionally, did you have to use close focus lenses to get the projector to focus that close to the vat in order to get 40um XY?

Thank you
Tony

rkundla
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#9 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:10 pm

Tony,

I did not change any of the settings on my projector since I pulled it out of the retail box. So as far as I know, I am using factory defaults.

The mod I made to the projector was similar to the mod that B9C made for the original Vivitek projectors. I extended the in-line axis of the lens by 3 mm using aluminum spacers and some rubber gasket material. That modification allowed me to increase the resolution by a few microns without being at the top most slot of the projector mount.

Regards,
Ron

Return to “B9R-1-Cherry”