Class ring with banding

A lost wax capable resin tuned for 30 - 50 micron slice thickness
csansocie
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Class ring with banding

Post#1 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:44 pm

I have a very large class ring style. The ring is getting heavy banding on the recessed vertical areas and not very clean or crisp on the raised sections.The top seems to be fine. The ring is 34mm across 32mm wide and 34 mm tall.
Using 30 x30 x30. New user here just hoping to find the right settings to play with to have a smoother surface on the z layers going up the ring. Like to start right and not cover things up!! Smaller normal rings have been playing real nice.
Attachments
IMG_0334.JPG
let it snow

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Re: Class ring with banding

Post#2 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:05 pm

With digital manufacturing you are essentially building with "lego" like blocks, only 30 micron cubed, in your example, but blocks nonetheless. I think what you are calling "banding" is actually the step lines where the blocks move over to the next row/column. That's different then "banding" due to machine calibration issues.

It's shows up the worst on flat surfaces that are not quite vertical.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#3 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:58 pm

Tapering dimensions show stepping the most. Orientaion in layout can minimize the issue.

Example: rings printed vertically and have a lot of taper int the shank will show the most stepping, and ones with parallel sices will show nearly none.

Robert
Dance like nobody's watching!

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#4 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:39 pm

If that Happens to me on an item, I cure the ring for at least an hour to make the exterior hard, then with very fine sandpaper,clean up all the lines. Then put it back in and cure some more. The reason for curing again is to make sure all the outside and inside areas you cleaned up are cured solid. You can actually polish the B9 material using plastic polishing compound.
Most of what We print at my factory has no lines or very little, It has a lot to do with orientation of the pattern on the build platform.

csansocie
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#5 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:47 am

Thank you for the info, Will try cutting it over today with the ring tilted today.
let it snow

csansocie
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#6 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:02 pm

Tilting the ring worked very well. And thank you, I then tried to move to 50 x30x30 and life ended for me there!!I have not been able to get any calibrations to stick to the build plate for days. Tried to calibrate the build plate and had resin go under the PDMS
so now I'll be learning to coat the Vat. I was really high on my msm {1.8} setting for 30x30x30 settings And still did not have a full 2mm pegs in the center.I was wondering if I was missing an adjustment on the camera or in the soft ware. The settings I've changed are the ones on the calibration video.I have had some prints work before the ring and they cast and turn out much nicer than my CNC. Are there any online places to get a better understanding of what I need to do. The forum is great but now I just need the b9 to be a worker!!
let it snow

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#7 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:43 pm

1.8 seems awfully high for the MSM. Maybe go back to default and print a calibration grid. Send the pic to

support@b9c.com and let them help u "tune" your settings.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

csansocie
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#8 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:55 am

Robert,
Thank you for the link to get help!!
let it snow

Robert Howle
B9 Creator