New batch of Cherry poor results

A lost wax capable resin tuned for 30 - 50 micron slice thickness
bezaleel
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

New batch of Cherry poor results

Post#1 » Wed May 27, 2015 5:07 pm

Hi all,

Recently, after several failures to get successful prints from the batch of Cherry I ordered in April, I decided to run some tests of the new cherry against my leftover old Cherry. I did shake the daylights out of the new Cherry before using it.

From the pictures below the left is the new Cherry and the right is the old Cherry. For all the prints I used the same settings. All prints were done within four days of each other. Also, in order to see if I could get the new Cherry to print better I changed the Machine Specific Multiplier to 1.2 which caused the old Cherry to print too heavy. Still the new Cherry printed too thin. The old Cherry prints well at MSM 1.0.

It's like the new Cherry is printing like the Red would at high resolution. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jeff
Attachments
IMG_20150527_082447.jpg
IMG_20150527_082327.jpg

Devlin
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Re: New batch of Cherry poor results

Post#2 » Wed May 27, 2015 5:50 pm

Interesting!
One should ask which machine and which software version. I suppose you could print a calibration plate with the new software and the new cherry to sort it out.
Matrix 7.5, Zbrush 4r7, Minitech minimill 2, B9 Creator V1.2

bezaleel
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Thu May 28, 2015 9:04 am

Devlin wrote:Interesting!
One should ask which machine and which software version. I suppose you could print a calibration plate with the new software and the new cherry to sort it out.

Oh, that's right. v1.1 machine and v1.7.3 software. No problems with this combo till now.

Matt
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#4 » Thu May 28, 2015 3:31 pm

Hmm, well we haven't changed the cherry formula since we started so my only guess would be shaking or lack-of-shaking of one of the two bottles at some point in time. Weird that the old one seems to have less pigment (curing thicker). Since you shook the new bottle well, I would suggest using that as a baseline to print a calibration grid to measure.

bezaleel
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#5 » Thu May 28, 2015 4:03 pm

Matt wrote:Hmm, well we haven't changed the cherry formula since we started so my only guess would be shaking or lack-of-shaking of one of the two bottles at some point in time. Weird that the old one seems to have less pigment (curing thicker). Since you shook the new bottle well, I would suggest using that as a baseline to print a calibration grid to measure.

Hi Matt,
I haven't ever printed a calibration grid before. What is the procedure to print the calibration grid? How do I use that as a baseline?

RobertW
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#6 » Thu May 28, 2015 4:34 pm

bezaleel wrote:
Matt wrote:Hmm, well we haven't changed the cherry formula since we started so my only guess would be shaking or lack-of-shaking of one of the two bottles at some point in time. Weird that the old one seems to have less pigment (curing thicker). Since you shook the new bottle well, I would suggest using that as a baseline to print a calibration grid to measure.

Hi Matt,
I haven't ever printed a calibration grid before. What is the procedure to print the calibration grid? How do I use that as a baseline?

This video Mike made shows the calibration procedure, including the location of the file used for calibration. The file is part of the current (v1.8) software.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnfAIKtUVPc

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#7 » Thu May 28, 2015 6:27 pm

I am thinking the same way as Matt, maybe the original bottle wasn't shaken properly and now has less pigment for some reason. Less pigment will alow for more penetration and chubby prints. I would adjust for the new pigment as suggested. The prints on the left are more crisp and look cleaner.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

bezaleel
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#8 » Thu May 28, 2015 8:04 pm

Thanks guys. Tomorrow I'm going to install the 1.8 software and go back to the factory defaults and print the calibration grid. I'll be sure to shake the bottle well. I'll let you all know what happens.

Should I use Calibration v1_1 50XY_25.4Z.b9j or Calibration v1_1 50XY_50.8Z.b9j file for the calibration grid?

Matt
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#9 » Fri May 29, 2015 10:39 am

50-50.8z Should work fine

bezaleel
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#10 » Fri May 29, 2015 5:08 pm

Oh dear, this is the print with all default settings for the printer and Cherry in the new 1.8 software. I shook the new bottle vigorously for about 10 minutes. When I strained it there were very few pieces left in the strainer. It's like it decided not to keep curing part way through. Any suggestions of where to go from here would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_20150529_165505.jpg

bezaleel
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#11 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:43 pm

I did some additional calibrations prints at increasing MSM.

The MSM 3.00 took 3hr 24min and its center posts measure 1.75mm and outside posts measure 1.5mm.

MSM 3.00 seems too high, is that correct?

Thanks,
Jeff
Attachments
MSM 3.00.jpg
MSM 2.50.jpg
MSM 2.00.jpg
MSM 1.00.jpg

Return to “B9R-1-Cherry”