UV Curing light specs for B9R-1-Cherry

A lost wax capable resin tuned for 30 - 50 micron slice thickness
Zackarn
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

UV Curing light specs for B9R-1-Cherry

Post#1 » Mon May 18, 2015 5:59 pm

Id like to build a nice UV curing box. Does anyone know exactly which type of UV bulb works best for curing the B9R-1-Cherry? {Quality and having the right tool for this task is what I am going for. Casting issues is what I hoping to avoid.}

fcort
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Re: UV Curing light specs for B9R-1-Cherry

Post#2 » Mon May 18, 2015 10:39 pm

This is what I use and it cures models in 1 hour and cast 100% with no issues
Salon Edge 36W Nail UV Lamp Acrylic Gel CURING Light on amazon
Red Door Distributions
www.reddoordistributions.com
619-564-6698

RobertH
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Mon May 18, 2015 10:57 pm

I use that very same model too and leave it for about the same time, but since its been 8 months, I need to change the bulbs as it does the same type of curing in about 2 hours now.

dfurlano
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#4 » Tue May 19, 2015 6:03 am

Zackarn
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#5 » Tue May 19, 2015 7:16 am

Thank you very much for the relies. That's also what the instructions recommended.

What I am really trying to figure out is: What wave length in the UV spectrum is the resin most responsive too?

I can't find nm/wavelength ratings related to the resin.

I can't find any nm/wavelength ratings nail polish dryer.

Replacement bulbs for that dryer can run anywhere from the mid UV-B range into the Low UV-A range.

A DLP projector barely hits the high end of the UV-A spectrum.

SO - Given that info, if I was to try and construct my own curing box based primarily off of the projector light spectrum specs; 400nm would be the ideal uv range to hit. A black light peaks at 356nm. It is also in the same range as the UV lights police use at crime scenes.

Has anyone tried a black light?

Or a 400nm UV flash light, like this - http://www.amazon.com/Ledwholesalers-Vi ... B001VZC5LA - I'm sure these 400nm UV led's can be purchased separately for pennies and used to build an entire custom uv box..

Stephen Attaway
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#6 » Sat May 23, 2015 8:50 am

This flash light will cure B9 resin:
New UltraFire WF-502B CREE UV LED Flashlight 502B Purple Light UV 395-405nm Ultraviolet Lamp
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O42 ... UTF8&psc=1

I use this flashlight to repair models. Removing supports can leave a small dent in the model. I allow the B9 resin to settle so that the red light absorber does not affect the depth of cure in the repair. These applicators work will for applying the uncured resin:Disposable Micro Applicator Brush http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EE1 ... UTF8&psc=1

Short exposures to UV will likely not cause eye damage. Long exposures may cause cataracts. I use these glasses to protect my eyes:
HDE Laser Eye Protection Safety Glasses for Green and Blue Lasers with Case (Red)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009T ... UTF8&psc=1

I have also found that 400 nm LED strips will cure B9 resin:
Wit-Lighting 16.4ft 5M UV 395nm-405nm 3528 SMD Purple 300 LED Flex Strip Light Waterproof IP65 12V DC
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MR4 ... UTF8&psc=1

I used the LED strip with a casting flask to make a "light flask". The LED's get hot. The holes in the flask help keep the system cool. A fan blowing on the flask is a must.

light flask.JPG
light flask.JPG (38.39 KiB) Viewed 6818 times

Zackarn
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#7 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:42 am

Thank you very much Stephen. That is very helpful. I like how you are able to repair...

For others reading this:

So far, I have purchased the nail polish dryer recommended above. I found that it actually does work perfectly with larger objects being that only challenge. So, i also purchased a UV light bulb that I am using for larger prints; same concept as Stephen.. I don't really have a full opinion of the bulb yet but the nail dryer works great.

Lessons learned = Slow curing seems better then fast curing. A powerful UV curing solution is not necessary. Fast curing can cause cracking and warping. I've seen better results with long slow cures. A couple rounds in the nail dryer then leave it in the window seal until you are ready to cast (that's at least a week for me). After a week in the windows seal; there is a difference, especially with thick objects. How much of a difference that makes when i cast; I have yet to know but will post.

- I have yet to post a review on this site but it's coming. My next casting is scheduled in 2 weeks. I want to see how well it casts so i can give a full review. So far, its been great! The size objects I have been able to print are unbelievable. I have been able to produce jewelry designs that couldn't be made any other way and have even gotten into some model train parts that were detailed enough to show rivets and hair thin valve handles... Matter of fact; the smaller the object, the better it seems to print.

My current focus is precision calibration vs resin(s). I need .1 - .01mm accuracy on the x/y to insure model parts fit correctly. In testing this, I also hope to figure out any shrinkage that may take place during curing. I'll be digging through the forums on this next and posting anything new I learn.

tomwilson1990
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#8 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:09 am

hi,
i use the cheap £20 light box from ebay as stated above , have done since september but normally cure then for a day. had 100% success rate with 100% cherry.
my question is speeding up the curing time? i can get a different light box but when you are casting your models are they completley dry to the touch? not sticky at all? after 2 hours in my current lightbox they are still sticky...

the light boxes all seem to be 36w? is that the standard that can get?
thanks

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#9 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:48 am

Should not be sticky or smell like resin. I believe, that if u can smell resin then u are not completely cured. I leave the Justin base on mine for curing and then saw it off with my jewelers saw. If I get dust, then I am pretty sure curing is complete, at least to the thickness of the sprue base and shank.

Robert
Dance like nobody's watching!

tomwilson1990
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#10 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:12 am

Robert Howle wrote:Should not be sticky or smell like resin. I believe, that if u can smell resin then u are not completely cured. I leave the Justin base on mine for curing and then saw it off with my jewelers saw. If I get dust, then I am pretty sure curing is complete, at least to the thickness of the sprue base and shank.

Robert

excellent thanks robert. is everyone now using 1:1 mix? is there any plus side to this or should i just stick with the 100% cherry for castings.
hows the black resin for casting?

Return to “B9R-1-Cherry”