Want to konw the property of Cherry and Red resin

A lost wax capable resin tuned for 30 - 50 micron slice thickness
Bin

Want to konw the property of Cherry and Red resin

Post#1 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:26 pm

Dear all,

Could some one do me a favor to tell me the property of Cherry and Red resin, especially the:
1) specific gravity (or unit weight)
2) stiffness
3) strength.

As I want to use this 3D printer to generate some objects, and then use them to do some lab tests, the size may be 500 microns.

So, I do really need to know these properties of the Cherry resin and Red resin.

Please give me a hand. Thanks a lot!

Bin

Stephen Attaway
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Re: Want to konw the property of Cherry and Red resin

Post#2 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:05 pm

The specific gravity is a function of how well the resin is cured. I measured heat cured resin and found a specific gravity of 1.191. Freshly printed parts on my projector using 1:1 mix with 30 micro xyz settings had a specific gravity of 1.178. The only difference between the red and cherry resin is the amount of optical absorber in the resin. This is a small percentage, so the red and cherry should be close to the 1:1 mix.

The parts are plastic-like with the ability of a 1.5 mm round wire to flex more than 90 degrees with a 5 mm radius bend. The parts will spring back after bending. The material is quite tough.

When over-cured parts become more glassy and may crack along growth lines.

Could you be more specific regarding strength. Strength means different things for different applications. Tensile strength, compressive strength, and shear strength can all be measured for the correct application. Yield strength is often used for metals to indicate the onset of inelastic behavior. I don't think yield strength is very applicable for the resin. It generally breaks (with a snap) before it takes an inelastic set. As with most polymers, the properties will often be temperature dependent.

I have printed 500 micron by 1000 micron vertical prongs with lengths of 5+ mm without problems. Printed parts will bounce quite nicely when dropped.

Can you give us a better idea of the lab test you plan?

Bin

Post#3 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:24 am

Stephen Attaway wrote:The specific gravity is a function of how well the resin is cured. I measured heat cured resin and found a specific gravity of 1.191. Freshly printed parts on my projector using 1:1 mix with 30 micro xyz settings had a specific gravity of 1.178. The only difference between the red and cherry resin is the amount of optical absorber in the resin. This is a small percentage, so the red and cherry should be close to the 1:1 mix.

The parts are plastic-like with the ability of a 1.5 mm round wire to flex more than 90 degrees with a 5 mm radius bend. The parts will spring back after bending. The material is quite tough.

When over-cured parts become more glassy and may crack along growth lines.

Could you be more specific regarding strength. Strength means different things for different applications. Tensile strength, compressive strength, and shear strength can all be measured for the correct application. Yield strength is often used for metals to indicate the onset of inelastic behavior. I don't think yield strength is very applicable for the resin. It generally breaks (with a snap) before it takes an inelastic set. As with most polymers, the properties will often be temperature dependent.

I have printed 500 micron by 1000 micron vertical prongs with lengths of 5+ mm without problems. Printed parts will bounce quite nicely when dropped.

Can you give us a better idea of the lab test you plan?

Dear Attaway,

Thanks for your reply, it's really helps.

As our lab text, we want to have a project (500 microns) that has both high stiffness and strength. So, do you ever have any text data to measure this part? Like to say, just the simple compression text, do you have some data about the compression strength and strain. If you can give me something about this, It give us a specific concept about how this 500 microns' project will be.

Thanks a lot.

regards,
Bin

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#4 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:28 pm

Why don't u get someone to print u some blocks or whatever and test the properties yourself.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

Return to “B9R-1-Cherry”