Printing troubles

A lost wax capable resin tuned for 30 - 50 micron slice thickness
Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Printing troubles

Post#81 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:26 am

Raising the projector makes the grid pattern smaller, then you adjust the lines with the focus... Lowering makes the grid Pattern larger, aldo adjust the lines with focus....
The problem is that you can adjust these all over the place, So getting it Nailed at 50 um takes some experimenting.... I just grow a flat platform and measure it... if it is off a little, go back and do it again until it is perfect.... You may want to do that with the material you use all the time.
I get different results using the B9 material settings and i switch to Made solid Black material, the prints are thinner in the black
.So I have to do my set up with fresh unused B9 cherry.

On my 1.2 I had to put a longer bolt in the drop down mechanism of the projector to get the 50um setting to be accurate with B9 Cherry... It's actually a 1/4 inch lower then it can normally go. I do not know why that is and would like to know ... but it worked.

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Printing troubles

Post#82 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:35 am

If you are using v1.2 at 50 (medium) resolution, you should set the zoom all the way over towards the 70 side. The bolt is long enough if you do that and the energy output will be correct. Making it lower will lower the energy output and the default settings might not work.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Printing troubles

Post#83 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:57 am

Hi Mike,
I was there and had it calibrated that way, however, when I printed my clients .7mm thick x 8 mm tall platinum band flat on the table, it came out around 1.1 mm thick and the interior size of the ring was smaller then the file size... I could not drop any lower until I put a longer bolt in.
I have no idea why that is. Other then the focus and the bolt adjustment, is there any other adjustment that would make a models wall thickness thinner so that it matches the files that are sent to us to make?

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Printing troubles

Post#84 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:52 am

scale up 1.015 here
or
do it in your modeling software.
it's a must.
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Printing troubles

Post#85 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:05 am

I think your issues are light bleed related, not optical calibration. Over exposure, or slicing too thinly can cause that.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Printing troubles

Post#86 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:12 am

Edit: Guess I was typing while MIke was too.

Like AK says u have to scale because there is going to be shrinkage in curing. I also believe there is bleed thickining more so with the cherry than with the 1:1 mix. Remeber all lamps are not created with exactly equal output. When Items I have tested with cherry are thicker than I wanted I lowered the MSM (started with .2 less). In a "duplicate" materials environment u can just lower the base and over times for subsequent layers to tweek the "thickness" bleed. The reason I call it "bleed" is because of the chubby prongs I was getting when I first tested the pure cherry on the 1.2 machine. The light is pretty intense and needs tweeking as far as exposure settings or either MSM adjustment, IMHO. Also keep in mind that all my testing now is done at 30 xy and 30 z on the new 1.2 machine. On fine details, with regards to jewelry, I get faster and more consistent results with the 1:1 mix. Not trying to get anyone to use the 1:1 mix or my settings, just sharing information.

Robert
Dance like nobody's watching!

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Printing troubles

Post#87 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:48 am

Before I dropped the machine to a lower position,
Projector was set at 50 um (Stock Setting),Slicing at 50 um or 75 um Z so i don't think I was slicing too thinly for cherry.But when a ring is a size 10 1/4 and I get a size 9 off the machine and the band is a lot thicker then specified, I know I have a problem, I am dealing with multiple issues. I started with the MSM down around .5 and the B9 cherry bonded to the PDMS . I went lower until the bonding to the pdms went away, But parts would not stick... Back up with the msm settings slowly. Never got the size correct or the thickness of the band ring.
I do understand about the shrinkage in curing. I can compensate for that. right now, I am just trying to get accurate prints.

Since I was using all stock settings and only adjusting the MSM,
would you suggest I then need to adjust for over exposure as well if I reset the machine back to stock at 50 x 50? Which setting would that be?

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Printing troubles

Post#88 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:08 am

your slicing for red using cherry resin.
you need to go back to the basics.
set it at 50 focus it for that setting
slice it at 30
use Cherry/red 1:1 ratio mixed
get back to us
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Printing troubles

Post#89 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:21 am

Are u using the 1.1 machine? If so I can give u settings for 1:1 mix and give it a try. Many of us that started out on the 1.1 machine and do jewelry, used these for acurate printing.

Robert

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Printing troubles

Post#90 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:31 am

Hi Robert,
I have both machines, as well as an Asiga and a Pegasus. The one I'm having a problem with is the 1.2 machine. I am going to go back and reset it where it was with the shorter bolt and try it again.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Printing troubles

Post#91 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:33 am

Why are u not printing at 30 xy. Is it because of the size of the lithos?

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Printing troubles

Post#92 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:26 pm

Yes... some of the jewelry that we make is pretty big , more surface area ,rounded shapes, stone settings etc... like bracelets.
And then we support Jewelry stores in our area, so thats why 2 B9's. right now, I have around 45 models that I need to print for designers.
On some items I have printed at 30... The ring I am talking about, I tried it at 30 quite a few times using stock settings and a low MSM number. The thickness went from 1.1 to 1mm when the file is .7mm. In platinum, thats a difference that you don't want to grind off! On that ring, I ended up sanding down the B9 cherry components to the correct size after curing and got the ring out... I think I printed over 25 of them and did not get where i needed. I have one on the machine now with my lowered projector just to see if it helped. I am missing some setting. I don't blame the machine... I just have not been able to figure out how to make items thinner on the machine. ... Yet :-)

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Printing troubles

Post#93 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:03 pm

I still use the 1:1 mix exclusively on my 1.2 machine. you should consider giving it a try.

Robert

bvwjewelers
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Printing troubles

Post#94 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:22 am

Do you have a link Robert on your current settings and details on using the 1:1 on the 1.2 machines?
"BVW Jewelers using 3D Printing in all our designs." http://www.bvwjewelers.com/

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Printing troubles

Post#95 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:49 am

This is what I use for everyting at 30 xy and 30 Z and 1:1 mix.

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Printing troubles

Post#96 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:57 am

I would definitely try it if you had settings for 50 xy or 70 -75 xy
I could set that up on the 1.1 machine

bvwjewelers
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Printing troubles

Post#97 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:54 am

also, why do you use the 1:1 mix over the cherry?
"BVW Jewelers using 3D Printing in all our designs." http://www.bvwjewelers.com/

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Printing troubles

Post#98 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:36 pm

Look at the exposure times. Half or close to it. Quicker prints, saves PDMS. Really good detail.

you_b@hotmail.com
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Printing troubles

Post#99 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:15 am

Robert: Can you also put up a link for your settings for 1:1 mix on the v1.1 machine? I've printed a couple more times, with the msm set to 1.5, but still getting prints coming out .2mm smaller/thinner. The good thing is that my prints are coming out every time now, and in great detail. Just need to figure out what adjustments to make to get it the right size.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Printing troubles

Post#100 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:36 pm

Edited. wrong post.

Return to “B9R-1-Cherry”