GEN 2 ALUMINUM "KAT VAT" coming soon!

Successful prints based on Model construction, supports, material selection & printer settings.
heomap5678
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#481 » Fri May 16, 2014 9:28 pm

Robert ! my deepest condolences about to your pain.

Green Vo

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#482 » Sat May 17, 2014 4:40 am

Thanks to all the community for your kind words and thoughts.
Dance like nobody's watching!

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#483 » Sat May 17, 2014 6:48 am

Robert, I just noticed this. Very sorry to hear of your loss. Best wishes to you and yours.

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#484 » Sat May 17, 2014 7:54 am

Sorry to hear this Robert, my condolences on your loss.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#485 » Sat May 17, 2014 9:16 am

Sending good vibes your way Robert. Praying for your family.

behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#486 » Sat May 17, 2014 9:22 am

I think the issue with Makerjuice is the way that it was presented. Not that he's selling vats...not sure just speculating

for instance the letter states "unauthorized use of the federally registered B9Creator trademark amounts to
an infringement of B9Creations’ trademark rights"

like i said... not sure but we shouldn't jump to conclusions

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#487 » Sat May 17, 2014 10:12 am

We didn't the Monger did.
just sayin
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#488 » Sat May 17, 2014 10:15 am

Haha. :) yes, I know. But us too. We should all be patient.

glacian
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#489 » Sat May 17, 2014 5:09 pm

While I'm not fluent in legalese, it seems like the Cease and Desist letter boiled down to saying that the B9C vat assembly and mechanism are covered under pending patent that Michael filed, giving him the right to tell Josh of Makerjuice that he isn't allowed to make them. But, because MJ resin isn't specific to B9C the way the vat is, he's allowed to say his resin is compatible with B9C without violating copyright.

As to why he's fine with the aluminum vats, maybe that's because it's not a straight clone? Just guessing on that part.

In a larger context, there's been a lot of talk lately on what constitutes "open source". Open source hardware and software are really great, and have driven this community, but there's also a place for patents. However, by definition, to call a patented device "open source", even if you're sharing the design files, is a misnomer. For example, Microsoft regularly shares the source code for some of their project, while retaining all rights, which is essentially what Michael is doing with the hardware side of B9C. That's not a criticism, as there's a place for both open source and proprietary design...it's just an observation.

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#490 » Sat May 17, 2014 6:14 pm

Probably too late, but let's try to keep this thread on topic.
It's supposed to be about Kirk's vat.

I'll post something later, in a new topic, about the legal stuff.

And yes, Kirk's vat is fine and you can buy them from him. :)
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#491 » Sun May 18, 2014 2:17 am

:D very good

benp
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#492 » Thu May 22, 2014 9:43 pm

Just got my new Kat vat, great job there Kirk! looks and feels great and packed very well.

If i'm not using a oven, how would I use the blue dam which comes with the vat? since I know it shouldn't go in to the oven (if I had one).

How long should I have it in the vat after I poured the pdms, not using a oven...?

Maybe it can handle a little heat? around 50 celsius?

Thanks in advance

kirkrhino
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#493 » Fri May 23, 2014 4:27 am

Hi Ben,

The blue materiel is expanded PVC and the o-riings are soft buna-n (nitrile). The pvc appears to be rated at 65C, and the o-rings to about 107C, so yes, 50 Fahrenheit should be OK.. if the chart is correct, that's about 65 Celsius Max. But usual oven temps would shrink it though.

http://www.lehighvalleyplastics.com/media/Celtec_Properties.pdf

Yes, as a workaround you could theoretically use the blue dam as a substitute for the i-beam, (at room temps or temps above),
And wait up to the standard 48 hours for the cure. Final trim should be about 1/8 to 1/4 from the edge. See official news
and updates on the forum-"cliff vs waterfall" for more on that.

However since there is no meniscus trap in the blue dam, you would have to trim 2nd time to get rid of the meniscus.
It's a bit tricky to keep the edge straight though.

Make sure you trim along the edge blue dam BEFORE removing it otherwise you could pull the pdms up. : )

Theoretically you could then reposition the blue dam again, and use it as a guide for the blade to trim the remaining meniscus?

Otherwise to keep it simple, coat as you normally would- simply level out and use Mike's original method for coating.

I am working on making some I-beam's have some different (silicone) o-ring cord stock on order but probably won't be able to get started
on those until until next weekend. Sent you email as well with more on that.

Hope that helps, let us know how it goes!

Best, Kirk

danmr
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#494 » Sat May 24, 2014 4:49 pm

@Kirkrhino I got a similar oven like yours maybe a little newer, I got it last November, anyhow it only goes down to 150F which will be the max that the blue dam can take and I wont risk it, but put me down on your list if you make the I beam dams, your products are always top notch!
@Robert although a bit late I wanna say I'm sorry about your loss, I haven't been here much as I went thru the same as I lost my mom on mother's day and buried her this last Tuesday my deepest condolence goes to you and your family.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#495 » Sat May 24, 2014 5:12 pm

damr, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with u. I can certainly understand your feelings. I hope both of u and others that have been through this and those that have yet to deal with the the loss of a parent continue to have the support of friends, loved ones, and members here.

Although I have never met any of the users here, It does help to have kind words from the community, especially from those haveing been through similar life changing events.

My best,
Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

benp
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#496 » Mon May 26, 2014 6:24 pm

@ Mikej

Would a thicker layer of pdms last longer? or would it be the same using a thin layer? Thanks

benp
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#497 » Mon May 26, 2014 6:25 pm

Robert - keep strong!

kirkrhino
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#498 » Wed May 28, 2014 1:21 pm

Will do @ Danmr, (Daniel). Should finally get to those this weekend, I think I have the final design figured out and the soft silicone o-ring cord on hand. Will be adding a small screw to act as a handle to pull up once trimmed, as they can stick pretty good otherwise.

Keep in mind not everyone with a version 1.1 machine is not necessary going to want/need to use over-lift. "Ibeam /cliff" method. If you currently use over-lift successfully, the I-beam method may work well for you. Otherwise maybe or maybe not? : ) Some of the 1.1 machines have backlash that prevents over-lift from working optimally, but from what I understand, the new machine v 1.2 has no backlash.

More about that in the "official news and updates "section: See "cliff vs. waterfall" post by Mike if you have not already seen it.
Over lift seems to work OK on my version 1.1 machine, used 1mm over lift and finally printed a bit to test the "cliff" with last night.
Thought it would be fun to try the 1:1 red/cherry.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ntnr8pc.jpg[/IMG]
Fine detail seems to be pretty good overall. There is an occasional line or two here and there perhaps from the over-lift/ backlash effect? (thanks to Justin for using the "halo" ring file, just a demo- not tor casting.).

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/WFHkGXV.jpg[/IMG]

Sorry to hear about everyone's losses of family.. Best to you all. The cycle of life is quite the mystery sometimes.
Hello @ benP (Dr. Bennoy) Don't really know if making it thicker would increase the lifespan?.But I don't think so, can't remember why but I think I read it somewhere on here. It's a good question for Mike. I believe Mike recommends PDMS < 3mm thick over the glass. based on the "cliff vs waterfall" post.

Have been shipping in the 40-50 range this week. 50-60 next week as well as beginning with the assembled replacement units. Orders have been filled for those who ordered replacement "kits" for the non-plated early vats.(So fully assembled replacements for Double Dog's begin next week- about 12 or so of those to go).

If you are from 0-50 on the numbers list please contact me if you have not heard from me yet and you are still interested. (sometimes things end up in spam folder)..

Cheers! Kirk

tigermoth
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#499 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:09 pm

Cheers for the vat Kirk, and kudos for demonstrating the best thing about open source so well.
The worst would probably be having to catch up on all the developments if you go away for a while...sooo yeah looks like I've got some reading to do!

pmwasson
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#500 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:29 am

Just got my vat and am now reading up on how to do the PDMS layer.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”