GEN 2 ALUMINUM "KAT VAT" coming soon!

Successful prints based on Model construction, supports, material selection & printer settings.
akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#201 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:51 am

Now I wish I had ordered two of them

Kirk can you put me down for one more from the next round?
Thanks
Tim
akgold
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

R2D4
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#202 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:22 pm

I want one! What do I have to do.Llooks great!

fcort
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#203 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:06 pm

Man I guess I missed out on the first batch. PLEASE Let me know when the second batch will be ready.
Thank you
-Fernando
Red Door Distributions
www.reddoordistributions.com
619-564-6698

etienne
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#204 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:35 pm

Hi kirk,
it's probably not an issue, but I still want to mention it: borosilicate glass or even sapphire is scratch resistant, whereas the starfire glass isn't. maybe an idea for an even longer lasting VAT? You wouldn't be able to cut it yourself though, as both, borosilicate and sapphire is an extremely strong material.

Anyways. I would also like to order two of your aluminum VAT. you can email me at etienne.renaud AT looxis.de or PM me. looking forward to hearing from you.

kirkrhino
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#205 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:31 am

Hi Etienne! Yes, definitely, makes sense, had planned on using 5x4 Pyrex for the next batch as you mention.

Hello Fernando- Yes are still on the list, :) sending you follow up PM.

R2D4 Will be notifying folks of the next generation design as soon as I have that prototype, need to first finish assembly of the current run, for another week or so. Next generation will be much faster to produce, and you may even like it a lot better. : )

AKG- got you covered, more updates to come.

Harry T. got you covered, more updates to come.

KGSL Thanks more updates coming soon.

@ perpetual_-dreamer Thanks, yes you got the demo model in the video and first one ready to go. You were the very first person to contact me way back in August! And yes your vat was holding on by a thread, took care of those folks first....: )
Assembly continues...Have about 20 or so have shipped from the first batch, More to ship throughout the next week.

Mike! Yours will be coated as well, should have that finished up and coming your way on Monday.. :)

Thanks, Kirk

Harry T.
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#206 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:41 am

Look good ! please get back to me. H

madmartian
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#207 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:13 am

+1 "version 2" vat for me.

hnphan
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#208 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:10 am

dang, I mustve been too late :(

please put me in for the 2nd batch

vsions
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#209 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:53 pm

so just completed my first print with this vat, it came out awesome. Clean up was a breeze! this thing is awesome :)

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#210 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:04 pm

I just Got mine today
going to try it as soon as I get the PDMS in Thanks Kirk,
This is going to be awsome
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

pbs
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#211 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:56 pm

Got mine today as well.

I think the addition of this vat makes this printer the best thing on the planet!

Kudos to both Mike and Kirk!! Two super heroes!

Peter

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#212 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:11 pm

Me too, coated it today for first time. Next print I will use it. Also installed new slide bearings as suggested by Justin. Printing for first time with those now. Also calibrated table with metal weight on table (test) to get rid of using hand pressure during this step. We will see in about 5 hrs. Decided not to pause print to check.

Robert
Dance like nobody's watching!

kirkrhino
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#213 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:52 am

=========
EDIT: 2/10/2015

These are the "double dog" VATS which only one batch was made. They were replaced with a anodize plated more lightweight version called the KAT VAT.
==========

Thanks everyone for the comments and feedback and kind words!

Still plan on getting back to everyone who has either posted or contacted me regarding the next batch.
There are a lot of people..please know that you will all be contacted by PM soon so not to worry, just want to finish these up first.

Will post that update here when that time comes, should be another week or so.. I still need to draw up the changes I have in mind, but if it goes the way I hope, these will be about 10X faster to produce, which means people who want one won't have to wait forever..

Thanks vsions for the first feedback on printing. Have printed successfully multiple times at high res. but you are the very first out in the field to report in on the printing experience..

I realize now that the "PDMS saving steps" may be a bit too much for some, and next round
the PDMS saving features will come as an OPTION, since I think many would just rather coat using the quick and simple method they are already familiar with. And as you know this VAT will work both ways regardless.

Anyways, yes progress still moving along, bolted the 40th one together last night..
They -still need glass- but other than that they are nearly complete, FINALLY..lol
Yes, even the last step of adding the projector glass takes a bit of time, but all
should be done by the end of the week, AT LAST!!! Most should ship by Monday.
Also waiting on some additional hardware that is due here tomorrow..

Will be contacting folks soon once they are in the box and ready to go..

Thanks again and more soon, Kirk
Last edited by kirkrhino on Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

watkinsjewelers@yahoo.com

Post#214 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:34 am

Kirk,
Looks great. Congrats on a great addition to the already great B9Creator. You can put me down for 2 vats. Thanks so much.

saab
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#215 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:18 am

Can't wait :D

kmchone
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#216 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:43 pm

Please ad me to the list too. thx!

zanderscreations
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#217 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:29 pm

So glad to hear people having good prints from this. I can't wait to buy some when it is my turn and try them out. These should definitely just be the replacement for the ones that are all acrylic, Mike should work out a deal with ya :)

Also is there a way you could update the first page or something with a summary of current design and materials used in these shipments? I know you've recently posted shipping pics and such but might be nice, and easier to find since this topic is getting quite long haha. Also asking about materials because I'm crossing my fingers that the little glass or plastic window won't crack like the original VATS do

My acrylic VATS I bought from the b9 store page are cracking on the sides and it makes me sad to see that since they are so expensive. Anyone else experience this or have any problems or solutions?

madmartian
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#218 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:19 pm

My acrylic VATS I bought from the b9 store page are cracking on the sides and it makes me sad to see that since they are so expensive. Anyone else experience this or have any problems or solutions?

Everyone has. Acrylic is not the best material for this, but it's the only one that can be easily lasercut. Everything else requires milling, I think. Even polycarb requires milling, apparently. I was going to experiment with polycarb but I'm going to go for Kirk's version 2 vat instead.

menandore
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#219 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:31 am

I am super psyched about my v2 vat! I'm actually sort of pleased now that I'm getting the improved second version. Fantastic work, Kirk! Thank you so much for helping us out with these aweseome vats!

markm

Post#220 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:34 am

Do we have any ide of the price of V-2? I am already down for 1 but may want to order 2. I have 3 acrylic vats but the cracking problem does not give me much hope for them lasting.

Mark

Return to “Tips & Tricks”