GEN 2 ALUMINUM "KAT VAT" coming soon!

Successful prints based on Model construction, supports, material selection & printer settings.
PandaP
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#181 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:52 am

These are INSANE. Well done! They look great :D just checking I am still on the list...I think I was back in november or early december for two? Whenever they're ready you can send me an email at trevor AT viponddesigns DOT com because sometimes life gets in the way and I forget to check the forums!!

saab
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#182 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:00 am

Great project, Kirk.
Please, add me to your list for next production run.
Thank you in advance!
Andrei

kirkrhino
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#183 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:22 am

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

This time around will be setting up a running total on the list so there is no confusion as to who is next in line. Please bear with me a bit longer while I finish up the final work on the first batch.

I believe I have finally contacted everyone at this point, the last person was in early October. The list started way back in September and there were alot of emails and PM's, more than I realized. So sorry about that, truly. I think I made myself sick today stressing out about that, was totally wiped out.. : )

Again, my apologies for keeping people waiting who ended up making contact later than that.. Was hugely overwhelming to realize they had sold out so early, I made the mistake of not keeping a running total, and that won't happen again, I promise.

Final assembly this weekend on the first batch and should be able to begin shipping those out as early as Monday, and go from there day by day next week. Updates as they come available..

Good news, remade the "teflon leveling inserts" out of aluminum for longevity, and figured out that adding 2 lock nuts makes the leveling adjustment set up even more quick and simple.

So that was the final touch that I was hoping for on that front.. Out sick today but much better now, off to bed and more updates as they come available..

Best regards, Kirk

mbroden@gmail.com
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#184 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:13 pm

great work on this, sign me up please!

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#185 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:00 pm

Get well soon Kirk.
Dance like nobody's watching!

kirkrhino
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#186 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:08 am

Thanks Robert, much better today, thanks, off to work. : )

Thanks again everyone for your support and kind words on the vats!

Everyone interested, or who has posted or PM'd or emailed me.. Will be in contact with everyone to confirm a spot on the list for the next round. Please give me until next week though to get to that, so I can concentrate on finishing up this batch and get them into people's hands.

Will be in contact every single person for final confirmation so there is no confusion or disappointments next time around. I failed to keep a running total last time, my bad please forgive me.

Again, am deeply sorry for those who did not make the first batch, keep in mind there are many many steps and processes that I will not need to take this time to make them happen, and it was just around Thanksgiving when I started the last batch.. So should be much much quicker this time around, without a doubt.

Thanks for your ongoing patience and hopefully understanding.. Many many 14 hour days recently and throughout, and still more to come! : ) It's a pleasure to serve you and it's a labor of love. Kind regards, Kirk

zanderscreations
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#187 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:12 pm

I would be interested for one or two for sure.

form
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#188 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:21 pm

Please sign me up for one in the next (or next next batch).
They look fantastic - I've read through and you have done a huuge amount of work to get them to this point. Really well done

RossW

Post#189 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:43 am

Hi Kirk, They look beautiful.
I thought that I was on your list but it seems not.
I have been watching with anticipation...sigh
Would you put me down for 2 trays please.
regards Ross.

menandore
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#190 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:34 am

I'm guessing that since I didn't hear anything, I'm on the list for the second batch?

Gether Dunn

Post#191 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:36 pm

Quote from kirkrhino on January 4, 2014, 09:08
Thanks Robert, much better today, thanks, off to work. : )

Thanks again everyone for your support and kind words on the vats!

Everyone interested, or who has posted or PM'd or emailed me.. Will be in contact with everyone to confirm a spot on the list for the next round. Please give me until next week though to get to that, so I can concentrate on finishing up this batch and get them into people's hands.

Will be in contact every single person for final confirmation so there is no confusion or disappointments next time around. I failed to keep a running total last time, my bad please forgive me.

Again, am deeply sorry for those who did not make the first batch, keep in mind there are many many steps and processes that I will not need to take this time to make them happen, and it was just around Thanksgiving when I started the last batch.. So should be much much quicker this time around, without a doubt.

Thanks for your ongoing patience and hopefully understanding.. Many many 14 hour days recently and throughout, and still more to come! : ) It's a pleasure to serve you and it's a labor of love. Kind regards, Kirk

Wow Kirk how do you have time for it all as a daytime machinist, hobby designer, manufacturing and hand assembly, customer service and chatting on forums with all of us??? You must be exhausted!

kirkrhino
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#192 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:25 am

@ Gether-Dunn lol, yes,I hear you... things are a bit hectic at the moment, working on getting caught up!
Will feel much better when I can get started on the second run.
In the meantime, assembly adventure continues:

DE-greasing process before the BLUE RTV gluing session began..

A few of the several steps involved: Use BLUE RTV for the floor and walls since it has superior adhesion and flexibility with aluminum, and can withstand continuous temperatures of 400 degrees, non toxic, Excellent Chemical / Solvent Resistance, and is effective in contact with automotive fluids, such as motor oil, transmission fluids,alcohol and antifreeze solutions.

Yes, it does take a bit to clean it up though..lol Each unit takes over an hour of assembly time, and I am not slow by any means....even with my handy cordless drill/driver..Been doing assembly and production in large quantities for many years If it were not for the glue, could have them ready in 5-10 minutes... But this way they are guaranteed never to leak.

Here's what they look like in the ruff state before cleanup.

Ross, yes you are on the list for the first batch, PM'ed you. I may have contacted rossw (your old handle? instead as well).

cl2645 PM'd you a couple of times, I assume you may have given up on waiting..my apologies, you are on the first list as well, . Please contact me by PM if you get a chance, otherwise I must move on to next in line soon.

@ melandore, yes you are slated for next batch, my apologies the first sold out quick.
Thanks form, will do, After these are complete I will get things all sorted out and contact each person who posted individually for confirmation. May be another week before I get a chance, thanks for your patience..
@ zanderscre-ations Sounds good, will be in touch soon. @ mbroden@gm-ail.com Thanks, will be in touch soon.@ saab Thanks, will be in touch soon @PandaP, thanks! Yes, you are on the list, will be in touch soon.@markm Thanks, will be in touch soon @behold3d Yes I belive so, will be in touch soon to confirm. @red331 Have emailed/contacted everyone in that date range, please PM me if you can.@ethank Thanks will be in touch soon.

And anyone else I may have missed, Just want to finish these up and finish contacts a few more may make it on the first list as well by order of contact in early October.. Waiting to hear back from a few more folks as well who may have moved on or got tired of waiting..: )

Cheers, gotta run, Kirk
Last edited by kirkrhino on Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tribetype40
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#193 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:59 am

Can you stick me down for one please, let me know when they are available..?

Cheers

PandaP
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#194 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:17 pm

You're a machining, customer support, forums wizard! Thanks Kirk!

vsions
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#195 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:46 am

Hey Kirk, I just received my Vats. The craftsmanship is astounding. I love it, you have seriously outdone yourself with these. Im going to be running a print on it right away and I will update with my results. So far though these are phenomenal!

D

kirkrhino
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#196 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:13 am

Hello, quick update on shipping and assembly...
Slowly but surely these are making it out the door, another dozen close to being completed, these still need windows -24 hour drying period- scheduled to ship on Wednesday, will update folks with tracking. : )
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/teyS83m.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/SqiFqzr.jpg[/IMG]
Thanks for your ongoing patience, sill moving full steam ahead, yet slow going. More scheduled for next weekend as well.
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/WmAYGM9.jpg[/IMG]
The good news is there are some major updates coming to the design which promises to speed things up quite a bit for the next round. Hopefully this makes it so people won't need to grow old waiting for them. More on that later, will contact folks on that as soon as this batch is finished up! : ) Kirk

perpetual_dreamer
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#197 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:26 am

Just received my VAT and what can I say besides I'm thoroughly amazed and thankful for it.. Kirk has truly gone above and beyond to offer such a well built VAT and for a bargain price considering the amount of time hes put into building each one, the attention to details, the multiple accessories it comes with and the fact that he even applied the first coating of PDMS! Thanks to you Kirk for all the work! Much appreciated! Its a blessing to have people like you on this forum :)

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#198 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:12 pm

Can't wait
Looks like he is working his fingers to the bone
Cool
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

KGSL

Post#199 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:01 pm

Great work. I wish you kirkrhino! Wonderful

Harry T.
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#200 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:48 am

I'm very interested also! Please keep us informed on the progress.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”