"Chocolate" mixed resin (1:1:2 Red/Cherry/Green)

Successful prints based on Model construction, supports, material selection & printer settings.
mineart1120@shaw.ca
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

"Chocolate" mixed resin (1:1:2 Red/Cherry/Green)

Post#1 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:31 am

Hi B9 users

Recently I bought 2 liters Green Emerald resins hoping that I wouldn't have to buy Red and Cherry to mix together, but it did not cast as good as the 1:1 Red/Cherry mix. I decided to mix 1/2 of 1:1 Red/Cherry and 1/2 of Green Emerald together and it came out to have a Chocolate color. The casting came out much better then Green Emerald alone but not as good as the 1:1 Red/Cherry mix but is still finish-able. This way, I am still able to use up my Green Emerald.

I used the Red/Cherry mix setting and there are visible print lines. I will try the Emerald setting next time to see if there will be less visible lines.

Mike.
Attachments
DSC01900.JPG
DSC01893.JPG
DSC01880.JPG
DSC01877.JPG

panastation
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Re: "Chocolate" mixed resin (1:1:2 Red/Cherry/Green)

Post#2 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:21 pm

It took me a while to be able to cast green..same thing :arrow: I went from pure cherry to emerald and had alot of issues. I complained on forum but people said this and that**resin says its improved cherry on description***.

Dont mix it with red** green works fine with adequate cleaning and curing. I alwasy stress that we all have diff equipment and there is no sequence of steps we can all follow and have it easy.
I had same prob with lines and casting at start...send me a pm .. a call can save you time and hairloss.
Wish somebody had done it for me back then.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#3 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:30 am

I am always available for anyone that needs help with printing or casting.

Robert Howle

howlere@gmail.com
803-736-4441 store
803-699-2223 shop

and I'm up till 2 or 3 am most nights.
Dance like nobody's watching!

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#4 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:41 am

I got the Emerald to work after experimenting... It does give me problems on larger pieces.
I found that using a LOT MORE dawn liquid in a bowl and ultrasonic tended to get the material cleaner and easier to cure... For ladies rings and most gents rings ,it works.

NEW MIX:

I mixed the Yellow resin (4 parts)to 1(part) Emerald and used the Yellow settings . The pieces came out even better then the Emerald alone. It cures in the B9 box quickly and casts great... and the color is a lighter green
and is very shiny/smooth.

sandblasthatcasting
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#5 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:08 pm

Hi to all...my observations...It seems to me, after numerous hours of experiments,
that any type of resin..be a b9 or ASiga or formlab..envision..and so on..are not too friendly of (ramps) burnouts...I am getting very good results with both the green mix red and the cherry and the 1:1 cherry red..I don't understand why but if I start at 300f and hold for 3 hours...and then ramp at 600f per hour at 1450f and hold at least 4hours..somehow after casting at the right temperature...9oof...1000 f I am getting great consistent results.
I was trying different schedules..using Plasticast 300f..700f...1350f still resulting in 50% success rate..not good enough..so I went radically different...by ramping at a faster rate to 1450f..somehow the castings seem to be good 100%..now maybe I am just lucky..but the resins are not faring well..with too many ramps..please go ahead and try my burnout what do we have to lose at this point!!
Plasticast 38ml/100grams powder 2 hours drying
cold oven go to 300f at 900f /hour hold 3 hours..go to 1450f at 600f hold 3hours or more if you are casting at least 8 flasks..2.5x3"..then ramp down to casting temperature and hold at least 1hour.
Thank you for reading SB

sandblasthatcasting
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#6 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:42 pm

Hi Sandblaster here..
I have received some models in the emerald resin..my client was so excited about it..He said " This is going to make the casting even better!!" Well...I am scratching my head ..maybe you all are doing the same..The resin model appeared to be very smooth and hard,,therefore it must have been cured properly ..I used the same burnout cycle as I use for the cherry ..same old Plasticast...and just for my own curiousity decided to set the model in the same flask with old fashioned red cherry..well what a disappointment the green looked like camambert and swiss cheese..The surface was so bad that took me a few moments to really believe it!!
Now... like most of you don't want to read that maybe it was not cured..or was not this..or that..the fact is ( My opinion) why would you change something good? the red worked just fine for many ..But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! once again the geniuses behind the B9 creator had to mess around with a good product!!
and this was just a thought!!
SB

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#7 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:46 pm

Have no idea why a few are having trouble with casting the yellow or the green. I have been casting it weekly (1-3 times) and have had zero issues with casting. The only ones here on the forum are ones having problems.

I use a 30 yr old broken arm caster, satincast and water, reg burnout and get great castings consistently. The people that I print for and do their own casing are having consistent results also.

There are only three major things that contribute to good castings. Cured prints, adequate air flow, and reaching the high end temp and holding it for 2 to 3 hrs (more if u cast large items if u prefer). I have never stayed at the high end longer than 2 hrs. even for 30 gram rings.

That being said there are numerous things that can ruin a casting. Just a few are metal to cold or two hot. Spinning to fast if using that method. Contaminated metal, contaminated crucibal. Bad mixing techniques with the investment. Improper spruing or pits in the wax or resin model that causes small pieces of plaster to break off during casting. I could go on and on.

As I have said many times casting is as much art as it is science. Technique, tecnique,tecnique. Don't blame the product when so many others are using it successfully.

Not attacking anyone here. When u get frustrated, for whatever reason, sometimes u need to be reminded to take another look at the process. I had it happen to me and I tried to blame the resin formula being changed. Even went as far as to call Mike and ask if they had changed the formulation. Turned out changing from my old industrial sized oven to the new 8 x 8 inch oven was the problem. Air flow. Fixed that by drilling holes in the bottom of the oven, and all my problems went away. This was after I had been casting 1:1 mix since 2013 ( over 2 yrs). Things can go south and when they do there is a reason. If the formulation were the problem, everyone using it would be having problems.

Robert Howle

sandblasthatcasting
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#8 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:16 pm

Hi Robert
Yes I couldn't agree with you more...I don't have a printer I just provide casting services gold and platinum for many people..here in Canada..Mike ( Mine art) is a collegue of mine...good goldsmith and a very nice guy..His experience with the b9 is solid..but maybe something is not right..cleaning the prints well enough...and the curing are the outmost important thing to do...I casted 3 samples green from the b9 Las vegas show..yes one of my clients pick them up for me to try...and yes Robert they casted beautifully!! same burnout as the red...so HUM!! I am at the mercy of my clients...if they do not do the homework ..well....I am to blame..But I do agree with you..the proper pre-handling is crucial for great results..and BTW I also drilled my brand new electric oven...:):):) it works like magic.!!!

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#9 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:28 am

Congrats on the oven holes working. When it comes ot clients u have to take the lead and try to make them understand. My suggestion to u would be to cure all the prints u recieve before they go into the oven. I will make u a special "deal" on a model cure if u think it might help. Contact me:

howlere@gmail.com

1-803-736-4441

I am in South Carolina, USA

sandblasthatcasting
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#10 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:01 pm

Hi to all these are some test castings I did ..resins supplied by my good friend Mike at Mineart..all green same burnout as the cherry and the 1:1 mix
Plasticast. .
P.s maybe I just got lucky:):)
Attachments
20160816_093424.jpg
Green resin from Mineart
20160816_093424.jpg

sandblasthatcasting
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#11 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:23 pm

Hi Forum ..just received an email from a client...I posted about successful castings with the green and yellow resins from B9 ..that I got from a customer that attended the last Vegas show..It appears that those samples from the B9 booth I casted were cured with the new UV light system from B9 creator $ 499.00 US ..now does this mean that we have to chuck the uv nail boxes..because they just don't make the cut??I think this is BS...why ? because many of us are doing just fine as it is...the problem( in my opinion) is that the resins need to be cleaned and properly cured..Uv box....sun light....microwave....toaster oven..etc...etc...It does not matter at the end.All I want is some consistency...I wonder if large casting houses have the same issues with their gas ovens..HUM!!
food for though!!

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#12 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:56 pm

Hi Sandblast,
I have Gas ovens for production and a modified electric oven with air input and high temp capacity.
The gas ovens are usually never brought beyond 1350-1400 oF
The resins need to be burned out at the very least at 1350 to 1400. with added air to increase the ability of the resin to burn away.
From experimenting a while back, I have determined that I get much cleaner cast prototypes if I raise my high temperature to 1550 -1600 and have air input. This works best with my modified electric oven .

Ladies rings pendants and charms tend to not be problematic and can be burned out at 1350-1400 with air.

Really tall, big /thicker jewelry and other designs have much more residue... so sprues must be bigger to help get that out and the hotter temps help a lot.

You can also add A vacuum vent as I have shown before so you can vac. the residue out, put it back in the oven to stabilize temp and cast. If you need to see a picture of that , i can repost it.

As far as the B9 Curing unit... it is very nice and efficient. I still have 4 nail curing units set up and I use both systems.

sandblasthatcasting
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#13 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:06 pm

Thank you Metalcaster for your imput...but I am envious ..I wish I had a gas oven..but the building that I work from..does not have city natural gas!!..I will still use my Nail curing unit..Thanks again SB

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#14 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:20 am

Just a slight correction on the price of the Model Cure unit. $495.00 us.

The reason to introduce the curing unit is to provide consistency in curing, and save a ton of time. No one has to have the unit, it's there if u want it.

I got sick and tired of curing prints that took longer and longer as the bulbs in my nail boxes got older. Have to realize I have been curing b9 resins for over 3 yrs. Replacement bulbs were a joke. I trashed the light boxes and went to 100% heat curing (min of 2 hrs of monitoring and adjusting my oven), but that took time and time that I really needed to devote to other duties.

the light boxes are great. Not everyone has nearly $500 to spend, and I understand that. I am a small one man shop myself.

I only have 4 units left in stock. If u send me a PM and u are serious about a Model Cure let me know. I am offering a "Special" deal until the end of the month. Motivated by daughter's wedding expenses.

Robert

Return to “Tips & Tricks”