Ground Build Table

Successful prints based on Model construction, supports, material selection & printer settings.
Lockermanjh
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Ground Build Table

Post#1 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:25 pm

I've been working out how to perfect the perpendicularity and parallelism of the key components in my b9. I've found a number of helpful posts and seen people mention grinding their build table. This seems like an excellent idea. I've found (with an indicator) that my build tables are far from flat, and attempting to bend them into true flatness is beyond my abilities.
I'm wondering if the anodize on the table has anything to do with the resin sticking well to the table, and if I have my table ground, will I need to have the surface re anodized.
Anyone know ?

mwm
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Re: Ground Build Table

Post#2 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:55 pm

I was waiting for Metalcaster to respond. I Block sanded my tables on Labor Day weekend. Had a bunch of 220 grit aluminum oxide sheets and a big plate of half inch Lexan. Took some hours with hand dragging but I got my plates flat. Metalcaster uses a belt sander. I don't have belt stationary but I'd use that if I did. I'm not going to try it with my 3" portable belt sander.

After sanding, I found that print base adhesion improved by a lot. I had slight to not-so-slight peeling at the edges of some base platforms before. Not any more.

The loss of anodized surface didn't matter.

Not everyone, including Mike, feels that flat/flat build tables are essential. It makes me more comfortable to see sincere adhesion.

You are not working with heavy gauge, rigid material with the B9 build tables. The metal is thin and flexible. You won't be removing as much thickness as you might imagine. Don't cut more surface depth than necessary. Don't over heat the metal in the process. I have CNC milling capabilities but I don't think I'd go there on the OEM B9 tables without serious reinforcement / thickening before hand. A belt sander will get it done long before the CNC setup is ready to run.
Mark Morrell
MWM Jewelers Services

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#3 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:14 pm

would I be wrong to say it is advisable to sand this table with the screws set as as one piece?
or
is that just obvious ? some have said the tables plain warped after tightening down the 4 screws from
calibration.

I am on of the lucky ones that doesn't have the problem with the build table I guess.
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#4 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:08 am

Hi Guys,
I have been out of commission Physically for the last couple weeks and also had one of my dust collectors catch fire while I was polishing so I have not had a chance to respond to any questions.

Ak, you probably don't have any issues with your machine largely because you may be using the 30 Micron Build table... in that size, there should be almost no issues..... just sanding the table would give you plenty of adhesion. This machine works fantastic and gives the absolute best results at 30 micron table size.

For the others out there.
When you use the 50,75 and 100 size tables ( both machines) the flatness of the tables becomes VERY critical if you plan on using all the platform to maximize the use of your machine.

I glued a 1/8 inch aluminum plate to my Platform before doing any sanding... Then I sand it down flat.
Even with that plate glued in place, the adjustment screws CAN warp the plate if tightened wrong or too much( Use thicker washers that are bigger then stock on the 4 screws and that will stop damaging the black arms). Look at your stock washers... if they show any kind of bending, that will put a scar on the arm. Time to change them and try not to over tighten them...
With my thicker platform sanded, I still get warping on the table about every couple months and have to sand it flat and recalibrate. It is not just the flatness of the platform... the red arms and the black ones can bend very slightly when you tighten the screw and from constant use.... My machines are running day and night so I have a ton of experience with them.

This is really the best machine out there.... It allows Plenty of flexibility.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#5 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:16 pm

Daniel, I'm on my 5th week of this "crud", I will be so happy when I can stop coughing. Get well young man.

My Best,
Robert
Dance like nobody's watching!

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#6 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:59 pm

U too Robert... Get well. This coughing problem is really bad.

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#7 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:08 pm

<Metal Caster> Ak, you probably don't have any issues with your machine largely because you may be using the 30 Micron Build table... in that size, there should be almost no issues..... just sanding the table would give you plenty of adhesion. This machine works fantastic and gives the absolute best results at 30 micron table size.

I am using the B91.1 at 50 slicing at 31.75 NoN HD
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

Franz
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#8 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:45 pm

Hi Daniel and Robert

I hope you both are feeling better soon. Is this the flu and have you been to the doc? It does not seem to be going round on the west coast yet.

Daniel
Can I send you an nonplanar table to repair? I have already reamed out slots in black support to allow float and wonder about washers? I have 2 other tables that work, but both need some tweaking.

Get well.

Regards
Franz

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#9 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:09 pm

Hi Franz,
Yes, Please send it...

hannahrdd
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#10 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:58 pm

I would say try to print without sanding your build table first, if you haven't already. Most people have no problem with the print sticking.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”