Fail with new B9 software and new plastic vat

Successful prints based on Model construction, supports, material selection & printer settings.
mwm
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Fail with new B9 software and new plastic vat

Post#1 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:54 pm

This setup printed 6 or 7 times with 3 or 4 different support systems with metal vat and last gen B9 software but it didn't make parts that I can use due to distortion.

I've replaced the aluminum vat with the new acrylic vat and installed the new 1.8 operating software.

My first test print with the columns is perfect 30 XY and 30 Z with Cherry.

Now, at default settings, the suppotrs are made but the rings don't stick to the supports. One ring is half attached to it's supports and the other not attached to it's supports at all.

With MSM set to 1.07, exactly the same result. Unattached cured bits dense in he resin. I'll try MSM 1.2 as soon as I strain the resin for the third time today.

Old OS and aluminum vat printed almost OK parts. New OS and new vat won't print the parts above the supports.

What's up?

Eter band fail new B9 vat and software.JPG
Mark Morrell
MWM Jewelers Services

TAJS
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Re: Fail with new B9 software and new plastic vat

Post#2 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:40 pm

...fwiw, I am printing at 1.3 msm using the poly vat...be double sure of your focus and calibration.

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#3 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:11 pm

From what I can see, the issues may be related to your supports being just a bit thin for the New Vat.
Reason I say that is the new vat has more pdms material... thicker then the red Vat, So, A file that used to work fine may no longer work at the same printer settings. Have you tried redoing the file with a little bit thicker supports... not a lot... Just a bit more.

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#4 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:44 pm

no offense but those are some funky looking supports up near the top.

I would change the support cylinders to be the same thickness top to bottom and use 50 or 75 % taper on the top limit is to one in the middle too.

start with one support the bring it back out and snap it to the table. it will lower it and scrunch it up
then open the support mode again and set the cylinders straight using the two buttons below
the I used the auto support tool ( Only thing I don't like about this tool is it isn't consistent and you can't control what the top taper is and it always comes out using the 25% taper I much prefer using the 50% or 75% taper. I also use .65 to .75 cylinders, .5 mm thick and 2-3 mm round bases)

I made a quick ring like yours well not really but close to use as a sample and this is how I did it.

this previews to print right at about one hour.

*Edit*I didn't see metal caster's post I was busy makin this to show but I obviously agree with him.
P.S. I have gone back to standard vats with Evert's glass installed.
Attachments
inf.JPG
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

mwm
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#5 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:09 pm

Thanks for your help fellas.

I had calibrated two build tables to the new plastic vat. Did it several times with the paper strips to be sure all corners were down properly. Front, left corner on both tables was a struggle to fit to the PDMS on the plastic vat. I didn't have that problem with my own recoats on the aluminum vats.

Two builds on each of the two tables failed exactly the same way. So, as Danny suggested, I figured I'd clean the vat and calibrate the build tables again. As it turns out, the PDMS was not attached to the vat. It showed loose on the tail end and just lifted out of place. Brand new for a few hours. All done now.

After the first few weeks of learning curve, I've been printing successfully of this printer all year. This is becoming a really special few days.

I'll recoat my aluminum vats tonight.

I do appreciate your efforts guys.
Mark Morrell
MWM Jewelers Services

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#6 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:06 pm

mwm wrote:Thanks for your help fellas.

I had calibrated two build tables to the new plastic vat. Did it several times with the paper strips to be sure all corners were down properly. Front, left corner on both tables was a struggle to fit to the PDMS on the plastic vat. I didn't have that problem with my own recoats on the aluminum vats.

Two builds on each of the two tables failed exactly the same way. So, as Danny suggested, I figured I'd clean the vat and calibrate the build tables again. As it turns out, the PDMS was not attached to the vat. It showed loose on the tail end and just lifted out of place. Brand new for a few hours. All done now.

After the first few weeks of learning curve, I've been printing successfully of this printer all year. This is becoming a really special few days.

I'll recoat my aluminum vats tonight.

I do appreciate your efforts guys.

MW,
Call Mike Gerwig and give him your opinion he is on the fence between the B9 and the Projet.
Projet has so much more baggage.
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

ndao123
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#7 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:02 pm

Yes, the orange plastic Vat is a bit harder to calibrate.

the way to get over that problem , after calibrate build table for new PDMS very first time I print the calibration file then see if it lift up any place If not go ahead and use , If it is ,go to step 2 look where it lift up ( my build table always lift up at front left) then calibrate again but when tighten the screws I tight the front left screw first with slightly push down that side . if you have whole thing come off that mean you have very bad calibrate, redo it.

I think the new PDMS when it harden not 100 percent level the side lift up depend how level where you put the vat to cure .

this way work for me. I change the Vat every week.

24kgold
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#8 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:17 pm

Well, I'm going to throw in my two cents worth. I've only been using the B9 since about April but I seem to have all the kinks worked out. I've re-coated my plastic vats several times and the important steps are having an absolutely clean and dry vat, mix just enough PDMS to cover the lens and barely flow over the dam and the most important thing I've found is to make sure your curing table is as level as possible. I built a curing table with adjustable legs and I attached a string level to two sides of the table. after getting it perfectly level I pour the PDMS and then cover the platform with a box to keep the dust out. When I calibrate the table, I first take it apart and clean the screws and platform with my ultrasonic and then steam the screw threads. This allows the table to move freely. I had trouble with this once when I realized that some resin had not been cleaned properly from the build table and was gumming up one of the thumb screws. Place a little steel block on the table when it's resting on the PDMS to make sure it's making a good contact then tighten the screws. I've not had a problem since. Oh, and I also find that the shorter and stouter you can make your supports, the better. Okay, I'm done now.

mwm
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#9 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:07 am

Got it. Thanks again.

mw
Moon 18KY Eternity 1C_s.jpg
Mark Morrell
MWM Jewelers Services

24kgold
B9 Maker