Curing in the microwave

Successful prints based on Model construction, supports, material selection & printer settings.
RobertH
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Re: Curing in the microwave

Post#101 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:28 am

have you experienced any cracking, melting with this method? sometimes 2 hours under uv is still not enough and overtime bulbs loosing the energy so even longer, but oven will give stable results within 2 hours everytime. Also are you laying it in a pan that comes with it?

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#102 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:41 pm

I have never had a print crack. All have been 1:1 mix and black resin. I do not soak my prints in ISO. I only do short rinse and then into ultrasonic for 15 to 20 min (or longer) with soap and water. Then rinse in water and straight to oven, sometimes i don't even dry them.

I have a glass plate on the shelf so no direct heat from the elements on "Bake". The shelf is leveled for curing my vats. Also has convection fan for even heating.

Robert
Dance like nobody's watching!

RobertH
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#103 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:21 pm

Nice, thank you

alanbuttler
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#104 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:40 am

I've just started experimenting with this method (using a 700W microwave). My first attempt was with some very small detail parts which cured better than anything else I've tried before. This was using mineral oil 3 mins at 700w, 10 mins cool, 3 mins at 700w. Prior to microwaving the prints were squirted with ISO to remove excess resin, ultrasonic for 10 mins in soapy water and dried before putting into the mineral oil.

However the scale figures I've been printing start to separate in a few places along their build lines. I've not been able to replicate the hardness of the first test, it feels like beginners luck as I'm sure I've used the same method subsequently. I'll give your toaster oven method a try as well Robert.

Mine Art
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#105 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:21 pm

I just have another rush job to cast so I do microwave the ring in water for 10 minutes wait for 5 minutes and then 10 more minutes follow by 30 minutes in UV light , no cracks and the ring get realy hard and ready to investment,the casting come out realy good no different compare to others have been cure in UV light for 5 hrs.

Mine Art

Metalcaster wrote:Mine art , Can you post a picture of your rings so we can see the surface finish before you do any work on them?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Last edited by Mine Art on Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#106 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:03 pm

Did the water come to a boil while u were curing?

Mine Art
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#107 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:17 pm

Hi Robert

I would say so because the water evaporate more then haft I used 100 ml of water after 10 minutes may be 40 ml of water still remain and I refill water to 100 ml again for the 2 nd time.

cm3d
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#108 » Fri May 01, 2015 9:39 am

Any of you guys measuring temps in the microwave? I just gave the mineral oil/microwave method a shot and with my 1200w microwave, it was many minutes to get any where in the 350 area! I just kept doing 2 minute cylces and pulling the bowl out and measuring temps.. gonna say it was at least 10, maybe 15 min total.. just a thought. the 3-5 minute thing was really only getting around 250ish.. maybe this is some of the issues people have?

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#109 » Fri May 01, 2015 1:05 pm

When I first used the microwave about a year ago, I measured the oil temp after the first 2 minutes to be 130 oF

After a 10 minute wait, I microwaved it again for 2 minutes.... temp reached about 185 oF

The microwave seems to work pretty good on rings and small thin parts..... It definitely does not work well on thick parts ... That was what I was trying to get to work.

A micro wave cures from the inside and it does not need to reach 350 oF to do it...
It does help on rings and small jewelry as it will cure the inside.... then go to the UV box and cure the exterior in about 1/2 hour.

PandaP
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#110 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:10 pm

Just chiming in to say Roberts oven curing has been working for me for the last 6ish months. I was having issues with the consistency of UV curing in large parts (as is the case with many curing methods) and bought a convection toaster oven to help figure that issue out. I use it for both pdms curing in 30mins(I have a katvat) and curing prints. My temps are as follows

150 for 15 minutes then 350 for 1.5 hrs

So far our castings in general turn out great, we use someone else to cast them so unfortunately we are at the mercy of the casting variables in their shop. Hopefully soon we will start casting here so I can mod out an airflow kiln and really get those great castings every time.

jljr99
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#111 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:11 pm

I have been using the 5 on, 10 off microwave and UV for 30min and it works the best,, no question. The model, when finished feels like a different substance when compared to any other cure process. I was doing Roberts toaster over but prints would crack occasionally.
When investing with ultracast Maxx I've been adding decreasing amounts of boric acid (trying to find the perfect ratio for me) which seems to harden and hold better than satin cast 20. The Maxx/boric is experimental for me I may find no boric is needed at all. Right now I'm mixing the boric in water then into the fridge while I clean and sprue the prints.

Attached are some sterling rings that I made for a benefit poker run. Those rings we giving me fits with the details holding until I did the microwave in water 2 or 3 cycles then UV for at least 30 mins using Maxx/boric for investing. The burnout was a 240f ramp to 1500f (or 1540f not home to check) then to cast temp. It's right at a 12hr burnout but I'm sure that could be tweaked to run 8hr.

Thing is, I'm very new to all of this the programming, printing, casting and jewelry building. If I can do it it must be foolproof.
Attachments
20150602_204746.jpg
20150602_204647.jpg

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#112 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:33 pm

Looking Jljr. Nice silver castings.

jljr99
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#113 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:54 pm

Thank you Robert,I'm getting there.

Marrick
Lurker
Lurker

Post#114 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:06 pm

I've been curing with the microwave method for a while now and it's definitely the way to go.
After its all done its harder and "more" cured than what UV lighting could ever do on its own.

Its already been posted by "Mine Art" already but i'll try to make it really clear for everyone.

1. Used a 700 watt microwave
2. Rinsed print with isopropyl alcohol to clean off excess resin
3. Used a thick glass measuring bowl
4. Added about an inch to an inch and a half of water to the bowl
5. Put the prints inside the bowl
6. Covered the top of the bowl with saran wrap
7. Put the bowl into the microwave and set the time for 5 min
8. After the 5 mins take it out and let it rest and cool down somewhere safe for 10 mins (use gloves or a towel to take it out, it's really hot)
9. After the 10 mins i like to drain the water and add fresh water again before the next microwave session.
10. Remember to put the saran wrap on again (its probably all deformed at this point)
11. Put the bowl into the microwave for another 5 mins
12. Take the bowl out (with gloves or a towel) and rinse it in cold water completely so you can take the prints out.
13. Take the prints out and let it cure in UV light for 30 mins to completely dry it from water. This is just to dry it not to cure it. You'll notice that after the last microwave session it's already cured completely.

tl;dr - 1 = 5 min microwave > 2 = 10 min rest > 3 = 5 min microwave > 4 = 30 min UV Light

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#115 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:36 pm

What resins have you successfully used this method and then cast the prints?

Robert Howle

jbin
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#116 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:16 pm

Marrick wrote:I've been curing with the microwave method for a while now and it's definitely the way to go.
After its all done its harder and "more" cured than what UV lighting could ever do on its own.

Have you ever weighed the model before and then after your curing process? You need a fairly sensitive scale .1 gram accuracy or better.

Blow dry after cleaning off the excess resin then weigh.
Weigh after the UV treatment.

adamk

Post#117 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:57 am

Hello everyone! I think this is my first actual post on this particular forum.

I found soo much useful information on here about methods of curing/casting resin.

Just earlier i tried the microwave cure with formlabs resin in a 700w 5min, cool down, 5min more.

They did not come out hard like how i expected from some posts here.. Im having them in the uv chamber now , will see how casts come out..

My question is, Did anyone have sucess with the microwave cure in water on other resins apart from the b9 cherry, emerald etc.. ?

If yes, which resins does this method work on?

Thanks

Adam K (user of projet 1200, form 1+, form2 , looking to buy b9 or solus..probably solus)

sovannor
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#118 » Fri May 06, 2016 3:16 am

Are you guys using the same microwave for both food and curing the resin? Is it safe though? Just curious because one of my friend doesn't even want to put the investment binder in the same fridge with food. Lol

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#119 » Fri May 06, 2016 4:08 am

I cure, heat food, and whatever, in the same microwave. I'm sure with the bombardment of the negative information in the media, u might have to get a second microwave. U can buy a microwave for $50 to $80 dollars at Walmart (even has a turntable) so just get another one.

As far as the fellow with the frig problem. Put the material in a closed container. If that doesn't work I think that down the road he/she is going to have a very unhappy life if this little stuff is so much of a big deal.

Have a friend with a very successful store and had a jeweler in the shop that wouldn't use the laser welder because it had the "Radiation" warning on the side. He is no longer employed there. People like this have to be educated as to risk and if they still don't get it......oh well, glad it's your problem and not mine.

Robert

bpablate
Lurker
Lurker

Post#120 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:40 am

Robert Howle wrote:I cure, heat food, and whatever, in the same microwave. I'm sure with the bombardment of the negative information in the media, u might have to get a second microwave. U can buy a microwave for $50 to $80 dollars at Walmart (even has a turntable) so just get another one.

As far as the fellow with the frig problem. Put the material in a closed container. If that doesn't work I think that down the road he/she is going to have a very unhappy life if this little stuff is so much of a big deal.

Have a friend with a very successful store and had a jeweler in the shop that wouldn't use the laser welder because it had the "Radiation" warning on the side. He is no longer employed there. People like this have to be educated as to risk and if they still don't get it......oh well, glad it's your problem and not mine.

Robert

Is the radiation harmful?
:D

Return to “Tips & Tricks”