cleaning vat

Successful prints based on Model construction, supports, material selection & printer settings.
akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

cleaning vat

Post#1 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:50 pm

I was changing removing the resin to retrace my steps to focus when I was interrupted and I set my vat down at an angle in the sink came back and discovered it was draining out leaving it basically clean on almost all of the surface of the PDM which made clean up much easier if you have the time to let it drain. I think if I had a way to hold it at a steeper angle over the bottle it would have all drained completely it set for about 10 min. so if time is not a factor it sure seems to make it easier and less messy

I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

cleaning vat

Post#2 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:51 pm

completely clear of resin on all the surface other than what is at the bottom
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

cleaning vat

Post#3 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:13 pm

You could prob leave it for a long time if u cover it with a black cloth or some type of box. I cover my funnel and strainer when I filter resin back into the resin bottle. I cover it with a black cloth so as not to expose it to the light. Just a thought.

Thanks for the heads up. I will give it a try. I have three vats coated at all times so waiting is not an issue.
Dance like nobody's watching!

cassio
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

cleaning vat

Post#4 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:11 am

This is exactly what I do when I change out resin or re-calibrate or what have you. Makes things so much smoother.

zanderscreations
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

cleaning vat

Post#5 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:47 pm

Great idea. I usually just soap and water it but it always seems to leave cloudyness cause of the drying process.

What do you guys use to clean and dry it with? I bought walmart microfiber towels but like i said they don't make it "window clear" when I try and dab the water away. However I have noticed prints still seem to work pretty fine with no huge noticeable quality issues.

cassio
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

cleaning vat

Post#6 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:16 am

From my experience, microfiber isn't really necessary. The PDMS is much tougher than most want to say and can usually handle slight scrubbing with a normal towel. I normally use the warm soap and water method and that usually works 99 times out of a 100. But sometimes there are those spots that just don't want to come out. In those instances I'll use one of our medical shop towels(DO NOT USE PAPER TOWELS. the fibers of the paper and whatnot get everywhere), dab it in a bit of 70% Iso, and then basically just massage the area where the spot is until it's gone. This way, I'm not soaking the vat is a corrosive chemical that's harmful to it. Never had a problem with it.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”