Z axis Linear Bearing Upgrade

Successful prints based on Model construction, supports, material selection & printer settings.
perpetual_dreamer
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#61 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:42 pm

^ Madmartian, I got the sealed ones i believe through Justin's link on the first page. Working very well :)

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#62 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:12 pm

Ok Tim, agreed. The only reason I mentioned Japan was that it maybe an indicator of the quality of the product, it should be better than the Chinese. . Just a quick question, I didn't assemble my machine (done by MIke) what is the best way to install the bearings I received. Some one needs to give me a quick step by step if u have the time. Thanks in advance.

Robert
Dance like nobody's watching!

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#63 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:16 pm

I thought I saw a post from Justin regarding this, will have to look around. But if anyone has the time will still take some direction.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#64 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:51 am

installed the bearings today, found Justin's post with the directions on page one of this post. Thanks Justin. Now to print with the new bearings and the Kirk super vat. Thanks to both of you for your help and improvements.

Robert

jewelrybyjustin
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#65 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:17 am

I just read about the shipping cost woahs, wow. The site I got them from I think it was under $6 bucks to send them in the US.

perpetual_dreamer
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#66 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:28 am

Quote from jewelrybyjustin on January 22, 2014, 12:17
I just read about the shipping cost woahs, wow. The site I got them from I think it was under $6 bucks to send them in the US.

yeah.. in the end, I think both vendors amount to similar costs. The bearings might be more expensive on the link you had posted, but cheap shipping costs, short wait times etc make up for it. They even have a deal where they give you a free caliper with purchases over $50 ^^

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#67 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:25 am

The high shipping cost was only because they were out of stock and they were quoting air freight from japan plus us shipping. I waited for them to restock and paid very little shipping.

tobyramp@hotmail.com
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#68 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:26 pm

I walked into a local bearing supply store. They had to order them but they will be here in a few days. I found it odd that there are 4 places with in a few miles of me that specialize in bearings.

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#69 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:40 pm

Quote from Robert Howle on January 20, 2014, 23:12
Ok Tim, agreed. The only reason I mentioned Japan was that it maybe an indicator of the quality of the product, it should be better than the Chinese. . Just a quick question, I didn't assemble my machine (done by MIke) what is the best way to install the bearings I received. Some one needs to give me a quick step by step if u have the time. Thanks in advance.

Robert

yeah your know your right there.
China is to today what Japan was to us when we were kids up to about the 90's
Remember what people would say about products with "made in Japan" on it?
It was considered crap. Now day though if it is coming from Japan it is considered some of the better imported goods over China, India, Pakistan, Hong Kong,

so with that said I will say I can't wait to get mine to see if there is any improvements on the z lines I am getting at 50 and 25.4 z using cherry.
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

madmartian
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#70 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:41 pm

Bad news for me. SMI is sold out and has to get them from Japan. They offered air mail at a ridiculous fee or wait 8 weeks. <sigh> I am going to try to find another source. The shipping cost makes no sense. I was in Japan and shipped a large box of toys to Oregon for about $70. Two little bearings should not cost the same to ship. Had I known in October, I would have bought a boatload of these things while I was there and sold them to you all. :) Hmmm... we do have some B9 users in Japan...

madmartian
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#71 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:46 pm

BTW, VXB has these listed on Rakuten for cheaper than on their own web site. However, we know they are currently out of stock.

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/nb-system-sw8wuu-1-2-inch-ball-bushing-double-wide-linear-motion/229168316.html

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#72 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:12 am

I was told they were out of stock for the steel but they have the resin cores in stock and that is what I ordered or I would have to wait as well.

Mike actually recommended them. at the speed they move and the light load the carry it doesn't make sense to go with the steel innards

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#73 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:34 am

I was quoted 6 to 8 wks by SMI but got them in about 2 wks. Did not pay air freight price, just waited and had them shipped 2 day after SMI got them in from Japan. Depends on when the ship hits the US I guess.

tobyramp@hotmail.com
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#74 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:05 am

I picked some up from this company http://bearingheadquarters.com/locations.asp. I told the guy working more people would want some. He told me, refer them to a distributor in there region. He won't sell them over the internet. He got them to me in two days ground shipping out of Chicago. Model: SW8WUU

perpetual_dreamer
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#75 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:25 am

xD ^ he must have plenty of business already

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#76 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:54 pm

I got mine today.
easy to replace
just loosen 4 screws pull up the shafts remove the bearing holder loosen screw pop out old slide in new tighten reinstall guide Make sure the black square is lined up with the nut slide the shafts down line up and tight screws.
easy peasy

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#77 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:48 pm

after installation I ran the Z up and down with new bearings and I have to say the motor actually sounded different like it was running with less stress and a constant sound if that makes any sense. very smooth

zanderscreations
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#78 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:28 am

OMG so excited to find this topic. This is one of the huge flaws of this awesome machine that I never understood... but glad it is working well for everyone!! Next is the VAT issue, which kseems to be doing a fine job of fixing.
I found these from mcmaster if anyone is interested, not sure if it is the same thing but the supplier would be more reliable and i believe they are located in the USA as well. Looks like they have the double length too.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#linear-ball-bearings/=qkcvm4

fcort
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#79 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:43 am

Quote from jewelrybyjustin on November 20, 2013, 11:46
Quote from danmr on November 20, 2013, 10:02
great solution Justin, I can see how it will improve z banding, but sorry to ask this what is stepping, how does it look like?

I'm not sure what it's called.. it's how the layers stack on top of each other and will cause some lines in the model.

Justin did you have any other supports on this model? It came out great.
Red Door Distributions
www.reddoordistributions.com
619-564-6698

jewelrybyjustin
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#80 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:45 pm

Nope.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”