Z axis Linear Bearing Upgrade

Successful prints based on Model construction, supports, material selection & printer settings.
jbin
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#41 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:23 am

I did the linear bearing mod and am quite happy with the results. Thanks Justin.

Another thing I did that I have not seen anyone mention is I put longer screws in the collars that hold the guide rods. I found that the action of the screw clamping the rod and the back panel was tweaking the rods the the extreme ends of travel. You could hear a difference in the sound the motor made at either end that sounded more labored than in the middle. So at first I just made those screws finger tight and that improved it so next I put in a slightly longer screw that allowed the full clamping force on the rod but did not pull it tight to the back plate. Now no labored sounds from the motor at the extremes of travel.

mbroden@gmail.com
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#42 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:22 am

Does it matter if it has a steel retainer or is resin retainer ok?
Steel retainer version is on back order from most selling for retail price. (people are upcharging these, beware)

perpetual_dreamer
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#43 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:00 am

^ what is a steel retainer vs a resin retainer?

mbroden@gmail.com
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#44 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:08 am

This is a linear retainer- Image

Having this in resin would seem kind of sketchy to me, but it is 5$ cheaper. steel retainer sw8wuu are sold out online(thanks guys ;P)

i know it will initially work, but i don't want to buy it if the retainer is prone to damage

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#45 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:15 am

I just received some of the resin retainer versions. They seem as equal to the task as the steel, considering the very slow and low load conditions we use them for (keep in mind that these bushing can be heavily loaded and operate at great speed in some applications).

$24.97 each (you need 2) here: http://www.smi4motion.com/smi2/products/user-interfaces.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_main_layout_bushings_noprice.tpl&product_id=86&category_id=323
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

mbroden@gmail.com
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#46 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:30 am

thanks for the heads up mike,

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#47 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:09 pm

Whoa they want to charge me 50 bucks to ship them UPS ground.
That is insane WTH??
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#48 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:34 pm

Well, that's crazy. Must be a better deal somewhere else?
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#49 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:36 pm

http://www.amazon.com/NB-Linear-Systems-Aligning-Bushings/dp/B002BBKR90/ref=sr_1_14?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1389932718&sr=1-14&keywords=1%2F2%22+Bore+linear+motion+ball+bushings%2Fbearings%2C

will this work it has free shipping over $35

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#50 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:37 pm

and on Ebay is this for 20 bucks each. didn't check on shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NB-Systems-TW8UU-1-2-inch-Self-Aligning-Ball-Bushing-Linear-Motion-/360392054599?pt=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item53e90a5747

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#51 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:02 pm

Both of those are normal length (not double long) so you'd need 2 per side (4 total) vs the others.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

jewelrybyjustin
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#52 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:48 am

Quote from mikej on January 16, 2014, 23:02
Both of those are normal length (not double long) so you'd need 2 per side (4 total) vs the others.

Then you might get into the same problem that was fixed with a single sleeve on each side, if you use 2 on each side.

I have been using the double long bearings for several months now and through the Christmas rush. They preformed great! I haven't had to adjust the tightness of the Z axis assembly since installing them. I just clean the lead screw and guide rods every so often (dust and what not) apply a little new oil and lubricant and keep on printing.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#53 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:45 am

I was told 6 to 8 weeks on the steel double length bearings recommended by Mike, I chose regular shipping (sea not air from japan) They were out of stock on Jan 2. I received them today. I was originally quoted 50 or 75 dollars shipping if I wanted them sent to US supplier by air. I think the lady there, Tamara at Specialty Motions Inc., Corona, Ca 92880, was going to see about stocking them.
Dance like nobody's watching!

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#54 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:43 am

Now I see why the shipping is so high.
they aren't charging me for shipping from Cali it is the cost to ship them from China.
I have yet to find the double long bearing all I find is a short single and I can see how two of them defeats the purpose

madmartian
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#55 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:50 am

Ordered. Thanks much for this. That leaves the PDMS as my only remaining hardware-related headache. :)

Total for 2 with ground shipping from SMI was $80.26 (to Oregon)

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#56 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:58 am

Woo Hoo
I ordered mine also. These folks are wonderful I was dealing with Ashleigh they checked on the shipping for me. I offered to print off a label for them using U.S. postal but she came up with a 5.15 shipping for me 3 day. ( in Alaska that means 7) HA haha

she has also put a note in the puter to refer the shipping to U.S. postal for the bearings. So maybe they will extend their online shipping to USPS
instead of just UPS
This Monday is looking up.

madmartian
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#57 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:11 pm

Crap, I may have ordered the wrong ones. Are we supposed to get the ones WITH seals (SW8WUU) or withOUT seals (SW8W)? I'm guessing withOUT, which means I ordered the wrong ones, but I'd like to confirm. The original link was to the one WITH seals.

madmartian
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#58 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:21 pm

On second thought, my attempts to google the subject may indicate sealed is better:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_sealed_bearings_and_shielded_bearings?#slide=1

http://www.toro.com/en-us/customer-support/pages/toro-parts/bearings-and-bushings.aspx

"There are two types of bearings Toro uses in most of their machines depending upon the application: Sealed and Unsealed. Sealed bearings require no maintenance while unsealed bearing need to be greased on a regular basis."

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#59 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:38 pm

Tim it's actually Japan not China
Dance like nobody's watching!

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#60 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:41 pm