Software Update Clarification

Using the software
perpetual_dreamer
B9 Master
B9 Master

Software Update Clarification

Post#1 » Wed May 11, 2016 11:25 pm

Hi All,
I just updated the software and started a print. For some reason, there was a warning on the panel that my settings used are not the standard/default. I did not select 'use previous print settings' either.

Question: Did the order of projector light fading away get flipped? I remember the projector light used to fade away near the end of each projection. I had time to slowly let go my hand while pressing down on the build table for the first two or three projections.

I print mainly at 30z, 30xy, Cherry/Red resin. Do you all print using the standard settings? I don't ever remember adjusting the settings but for some reason the print settings panel tells me I'm not using default settings. Maybe I did adjust but don't remember

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Re: Software Update Clarification

Post#2 » Thu May 12, 2016 1:46 am

I only noticed the default changes warning. All is good with my update so far. Love the new slicing speed.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

perpetual_dreamer
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#3 » Thu May 12, 2016 2:18 am

yes, the slicing speeds are super fast. Surprised me when it took about 20 seconds to slice a file. It usually takes 3 mins or so.

Print is done and it came out all good.

I'm still confused about this note on the print panel "Caution: Standard Print Cycle Settings Not Utilized"

Should I select and ask it to use the default the Red/Cherry 30zxy default settings next time?

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#4 » Thu May 12, 2016 5:30 am

Yes, go ahead and click to restore defaults if it comes up.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

Lockermanjh
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#5 » Thu May 12, 2016 3:30 pm

Hey, what are the pegs on the new calibration prints supposed to measure ?

Matt
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#6 » Thu May 12, 2016 3:35 pm

The squares should measure 5x5mm. F+ and F- sides should be 90mm spanning from left square to right square. B+ and B- sides should be 50mm spanning from from top square to bottom square. *for 50 microns
Last edited by Matt on Fri May 13, 2016 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobertW
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#7 » Thu May 12, 2016 4:11 pm

perpetual_dreamer wrote:yes, the slicing speeds are super fast. Surprised me when it took about 20 seconds to slice a file. It usually takes 3 mins or so.

Print is done and it came out all good.

I'm still confused about this note on the print panel "Caution: Standard Print Cycle Settings Not Utilized"

Should I select and ask it to use the default the Red/Cherry 30zxy default settings next time?

mikej wrote:Yes, go ahead and click to restore defaults if it comes up.

I also got that Caution message, and I noticed that the values for Pre-Release Lift and Overlift Cutoff were modified. Changing from 0.30 mm and 1.50 mm to 0.1 mm and 0.5 mm respectively. The print time was also reduced by 1 second.

I'm curious: What do those settings control?

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#8 » Thu May 12, 2016 6:30 pm

Pre release lift is a lift before the vat makes the release move. Mike states that with full build areas, particularly in the 50 and 70 xy configuration, that this will aid in lowering the force needed to move the last layer printed over the dam.

Prob should override this with items with very fine details as it could damage the print.

Here is Mike's explanation:

"The default pre-release lift option lifts the build table 300 microns right after the exposure & kick time have elapsed and right before the vat slides right to release. This is helpful to relieve downward pressure on the vat and can allow it to slide easier when there is a large object being printed. It’s possible (haven’t seen it yet) that the pre-lift might damage a VERY fragile print (think stem cell lattice, not ring prongs). In that case you can set it to zero and it will act like it used to (no pre-release lift)."

Robert Howle

Bexley
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#9 » Fri May 13, 2016 11:23 am

There shouldn't be any issues with slicing using the new software and printing using an older version, right? I was reading in another thread that an older version of the software is better for very small items with very fine details due to a feature in later versions intended to reduce z-bleed. (The original poster claims it does reduce z-bleed in larger items, but makes it worse in smaller ones.)

I actually do my slicing on a different computer than I print with, so I wouldn't be running two versions on the same PC.

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#10 » Fri May 13, 2016 12:01 pm

The format of the job (.b9j) file has not changed so you can slice with the new and print with the old software without any problem.

The z bleed correction will not make z bleed worse on small parts, but it may cause very small details to fail. This is because they are too small to survive the printing process at the correct size. The old software allowed z-bleed to enlarge them enough that they would print. But that could also be done by enlarging them in the original design.

We can only support the current version of the software and if you are having any issues but not using it, the first thing we will do is have you upgrade. It contains numerous improvements, material setting updates and misc. bug fixes. There's really no reason to use the old version.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

Bexley
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#11 » Fri May 13, 2016 12:27 pm

Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification.

dfurlano
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#12 » Fri May 13, 2016 1:35 pm

is this documented somewhere on the support site?

Matt wrote:The squares should measure 5x5mm. F+ and F- sides should be 90mm spanning from left square to right square. B+ and B- sides should be 50mm spanning from from top square to bottom square. *for 50 microns

Archimedes
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#13 » Fri May 13, 2016 2:38 pm

mikej wrote:The z bleed correction will not make z bleed worse on small parts, but it may cause very small details to fail. This is because they are too small to survive the printing process at the correct size. The old software allowed z-bleed to enlarge them enough that they would print. But that could also be done by enlarging them in the original design.

Hi Mike,

I spent a fair period of time earlier this year going back and forth with B9 support to determine that the z-bleed correction was causing significant failures with small elements in my models when using black resin. I am still using version 1.8.0 for printing because of this. I have since confirmed that these delicate features will print at their intended size without appreciable "help" from z-bleed by adding additional pigment (z bleed reduced by about 80%), but only with the old software. In my discussions with Matthew, there was mention of a switch to disable the z bleed correction feature being added in the future. Is this still in the works? If not, can it please be put back on the list?

panastation
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#14 » Sat May 14, 2016 4:42 pm

this printer keeps getting better...
awesome update
Im reprinting some rings i forgot to scale up in the b9 layout and i see about a 20 min reduction in print time :arrow: from previous version...if so great work mike

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#15 » Sat May 14, 2016 4:52 pm

How does it work with the 1.1vers nonHD?
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#16 » Sat May 14, 2016 5:11 pm

It is compatible with all hardware versions.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

Lockermanjh
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#17 » Sun May 15, 2016 11:37 am

Could someone please post the old Calibration Print files here for my own curiosity ?

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#18 » Sun May 15, 2016 3:10 pm

looks like all the older version of the calibration files were replaced with the newest update to the software.

I have a couple of the original ones in my print folder. Not sure how to send those type files (sliced and ready to print).

Robert

Bexley
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#19 » Fri May 20, 2016 8:19 pm

mikej wrote:It is compatible with all hardware versions.

Out of curiosity, why the change to fading the image instead of fading it out?

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#20 » Sat May 21, 2016 9:18 am

I think it gives a more even "final cure" on the layer.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

Return to “Operation”