snap to floor/foundation trouble

Using the software
Devlin
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

snap to floor/foundation trouble

Post#1 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:28 pm

I am on the latest build I am having more trouble with the snap to floor or foundation.
This always seemed to be a little fussy in the past but for me it is worse now.

redoing a print now due to the issue.

Michael
Matrix 7.5, Zbrush 4r7, Minitech minimill 2, B9 Creator V1.2

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Re: snap to floor/foundation trouble

Post#2 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:51 pm

Just to be sure u understand. Snap to floor is the same as always. Snap to foundation, snaps to the top surface of the foundation disk.

If I am wrong, let me know.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#3 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:19 pm

That's correct Robert.

Snap to floor if you want the vertical height of the print to start at the build table.
Snap to foundation if you want the vertical height of the print to start at the "top" of the foundation.

You can now "sink" an object below the surface of the build table and still have a foundation. This is useful if you only want to print the top half of an object but still surround it with a foundation to ensure it sticks to the build table.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

Devlin
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#4 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:49 pm

The problem I have been having is, I use either snap button in model mode then it does drop down, once I switch to supports it jumps back up. it takes several times to stay down.

The only way it is working is if I use a foundation and snap to foundation. it may take several tries.

Just did another test and snap to floor will not work for me. Without a foundation.

Thanks,
Michael

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#5 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:24 pm

Devlin wrote:The problem I have been having is, I use either snap button in model mode then it does drop down, once I switch to supports it jumps back up. it takes several times to stay down.

The only way it is working is if I use a foundation and snap to foundation. it may take several tries.

Just did another test and snap to floor will not work for me. Without a foundation.

Thanks,
Michael

not using the recent updated software I am on 1.7.3 ver.
But what I do is snap to floor. then go to supports and choose a place up to the highest point and place a support then go back out and snap it again and it will drop to the floor and the support will go down with it.
then I go back again to supports and the ring doesn't move up any longer.
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

Devlin
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#6 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:34 pm

I am on version1.8.3, 1.7.3 had some issue like this but not this bad.

I am also wondering what the new feature solidify scan does and how to use it.

mwm
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#7 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:44 pm

""once I switch to supports it jumps back up. it takes several times to stay down.""
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Same here
Mark Morrell
MWM Jewelers Services

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#8 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:00 pm

I have to add a support or a foundation or it will not stay down.

Devlin
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#9 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:39 pm

The solution I have found is
Once you bring in a new model and you hit snap to floor, go right to add to bring in a new model. It will set the first one to snap to floor. No problem if you bring in a model with full supports. You can go back to add supports once the new model has been added. I have been building my supports in the B9 software. So its more trouble.

On the positive side:
I did my first print of yellow resin with the new plastic vats.Very nice, I appreciate all the great work that is constantly being done to improve the B9.

I also see lots of new addition to the software features. I am looking forward to learning what they do.

Michael

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#10 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:57 am

Devlin wrote:I am also wondering what the new feature solidify scan does and how to use it.

This is mainly a tool for dentists.

Often they will have an open shell mesh (a scan with no "bottom"). When you load a such a scan and click the solidify option the software will attempt to orientate the scan with the closed side "up" then extrude the open edges down and put a "bottom" on it, thus closing the mesh and making it watertight.

It's not useful if you have a bad (not watertight) model, it won't fix that. It really only works with scan surfaces.

Attached is such a surface, as an example, if you want to add it to a layout and see what the button does to it.
Attachments
teeth.stl
(11.1 MiB) Downloaded 119 times
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

Return to “Operation”