pushing Z resolution

Using the software
Harry T.
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

pushing Z resolution

Post#1 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:32 pm

So far I've been printing pretty much everything at 31.75 microns Z slice 50XY in 1:1 cherry red, I was just setting up a print and looked at the other Z slice thickness options and was wondering how much further I can push the thin-ness of layers. I am woefully under-educated on the B9's capabilities as I have actually taken over the position at our shop of running the 3D printer and making models. I got the extremely quick and dirty orientation from my predecessor who just wanted to get the hell out of here. I don't have all the time I'd like to have to investigate all of this as I'm sure the info is written down somewhere, and I just haven't found it. what is the thinnest slice that can be printed without issue or how thin have you dared to go? I have seen people in the forums saying they are using thinner slices, but I am also on a V1.1 machine and I'm not sure if it has more limitations in Z thickness than the 1.2. Basically I've searched the page and forums for as long as I can while on the clock and I don't get to use this stuff after hours (in spite of offering to do so while clocked out and signing a waiver of bodily harm).

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Re: pushing Z resolution

Post#2 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:11 pm

With Cherry Red 1:1 mix, the published limit is 30 microns, so you are already there. Slicing thinner will not really improve anything and the print will take longer.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#3 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:31 pm

To give u some insight, I have printed on the 1.1 and the 1.2 for approx. on year on each. There is a little diff in print resolution with the new HD machine, but the biggest diff is the speed of printing. If u are doing models with design elements as small as .3mm then u will see a diff with the newer machine. With larger elements around .5 and larger there is almost no difference.

Sure the new machine will print at 25 z with no problems, but I don't use it because in most cases it is not needed for the majority of my models. I also don't want the longer prints for the small diff in print quality.

Just my thoughts on the issue, from a jewelry maker.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

Harry T.
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#4 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:24 pm

Thanks for the info guys.

ethank
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#5 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:45 pm

so a 1.1 b9 can slice down to 30! aha! I thought the limit was 50... maybe this will help me get better results from my attempts at tiny settings...

Harry T.
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#6 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:51 pm

I attempted a 25 µm slice thickness with cherry:red 1:1, the print was pretty successful with only a little loss of detail in a small opening, still a usable prototype though, very pleased to know it's an option, the 30µm thickness will probably be our default option to keep the details crisp though.

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#7 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:14 pm

ethank wrote:so a 1.1 b9 can slice down to 30! aha! I thought the limit was 50... maybe this will help me get better results from my attempts at tiny settings...

Actually the lowest setting on the 1.1 is 50 microns and the optimum slice thickness is 31.75* not 30 the next lowest setting is 25.4*

30 microns is lowest setting on the B 91.2 HD
the optimal slice thickness mentioned is 30* on the 1.2HD and the next lowest is 25*
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

Harry T.
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#8 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:41 am

Correct AK, I was just giving the ballpark numbers, I am using 31.75 µm z and just tested 25.4 µm z at the 50 xy resolution on our 1.1 machine with fairly good results, particularly considering I still have a bit of fine tuning on our calibration

Return to “Operation”