build table failure / crash

Using the software
V Jewels
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

build table failure / crash

Post#1 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:57 am

Tried printing thrice today, there's no error coming up, however, the printer is not making anything apart from the base of design. The remaining complete print doesn't even starts to build n becomes scrap inside the vat. X axis lifts while printing, Calibrated the build table thrice, pdms & projector calibrations are fine, checked with inserting a biz card too.
Pls suggest a solution.
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Re: build table failure / crash

Post#2 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:59 pm

Can you upload the job file? It looks like there are no supports?
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#3 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:11 pm

Edited and removed. Didnt' read Mikes post carefully. Sorry.
Dance like nobody's watching!

V Jewels
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#4 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:36 am

All supports on designs are done in cad itself, this gives me the best of results. have been using this method for a long time now on b9.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 14.53.47.png
Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 14.53.55.png
Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 14.53.58.png

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#5 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:25 am

Still, I'd like to examine the b9j file if you care to upload it. The part I do see on your build table doesn't look like what I'd expect from your screen grabs of the layout.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#6 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:23 am

@ V jewels
I do a lot of the same (cad supports), specially the "donut" one. I like larger supports there though. U might consider Transforming the circle for the supports into an oval before extruding or transform one 1d and duplicate in CAD.

Just like a little more support. You can also cut down on the print times by shortining the supports on a piece like that to about 2mm. It will print the same. I only make my ring base so the shank is 2mm above the table.

Every mm is about 16 or 17 slices at 30 z.

My Best,
Robert

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#7 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:40 am

@ V jewels
I do a lot of the same (cad supports), specially the "donut" one. I like larger supports there though. U might consider Transforming the circle for the supports into an oval before extruding or transform one 1d and duplicate in CAD.

Just like a little more support. You can also cut down on the print times by shortining the supports on a piece like that to about 2mm. It will print the same. I only make my ring base so the shank is 2mm above the table.

Every mm is about 16 or 17 slices at 30 z.

My Best,
Robert

V Jewels
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#8 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:20 am

Hi Mike, & Robert, Thanks for all the help. Attached below is the file needed. Also emailed some pics to mike, for the prints.
Attachments
july 30th2015.b9j
(2.53 MiB) Downloaded 100 times

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#9 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:35 am

I see some issues with supports, but more should have printed then in your picture above.

Could be too much pigment in the resin, can happen if the vat sits for awhile with resin in it and it's not mixed well before starting a print. Or if the bottle wasn't shaken well during the use of the first portion.

Could also be the lamp has dimmed faster than average, might require a higher MSM. Have you printed the calibration grid lately?
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

V Jewels
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#10 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:38 am

resins is all fresh... new bottle...
my printer was down because of a motor problem... printing after nearly 15 days.
projector lens new.. new projector...
Attachments
IMG_2006.jpg
IMG_2005.jpg
IMG_2004.jpg
IMG_2003.jpg
IMG_2002.jpg

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#11 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:17 am

Not sticking to build table is indicative of too much resin trapped between areas of the build table and the pdms when the first layer is formed. That would also explain the earlier failure. Cause is build table calibration or pdms not flat/level.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

V Jewels
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#12 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:08 pm

The resin amount should be a bit less from what i add now ?
pls explain...
Cause is build table calibration or pdms not flat/level.
my calibration for build table n pdms , i think are perfect...

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#13 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:28 pm

Well, if the calibration is perfect, then the trapped resin will be very thin and it should adhere to the build table.

As a test, you can override the calculated attach base time by 20% or so an see if it attaches. If it does, you many need to increase MSM.

But based on how your calibration print looks, I think the MSM is OK the the trouble is the build table calibration.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

RobertW
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#14 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:41 pm

You mention the use of a card to check the table calibration. I think card stock is too thick for that purpose. I currently use the 4 strips of paper method that someone here suggested and it works fantastic. I also weight down the build table with a steel bench block and push it down while calibrating. Also, check if the 4 table screw washers and the slots they are against have become distorted (concave) from over-tightening. Over-tightening the screws will create a depression that the table will migrate to when tightening, throwing off the calibration. If the washers have become concave, simply flip them over. The slots in the black frame may need to be filed a little. When calibrating, once the screws are tightened check that the paper strips at each corner are tight and won't slide out with a slight tug. If all 4 are tight, calibration is good. Do not further tighten the screws after the build table is off the arm and remember not to use any heavy pressure when removing models or cleaning resin off it. When handling it, I'm trying to get in the habit of holding the table itself and not the black frame (but old bad habits are hard to break!)
I recently added an extra set of washers and I hope that will prevent the washers from distorting over time.
So that's how I do it, I hope it helps.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#15 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:47 pm

Measure the thickness of the base of your test print and post.

Robert

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#16 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:33 pm

These screen captures show some of your problems with printing the models
The red means no supported area. Make sure you are snapped to the floor.
notice the rectangle area that is red, it is layer 21 I think it was, this is not good it just detached from the print most likely and that layer is in your vat floating along with all areas that are red. you can check your image by going to edit tools enter support mode and scroll up using your arrow keys. you can also do this in your print or preview window clicking on the arrows to scroll up but you can hardly see it very well in that little view box.
your first layer is green and I think that is supposed to be there as it is on all of my prints and green show up later as well so that would mean a separation of printed objects?
any input from Mike will be welcome.
as for you printed grids I would run them through the support mode as well but as Mike says it is most likely that the first layers are not attaching well and you need to recalibrate the table
Attachments
not planer.JPG
red not good.JPG
more red.JPG
more red1.JPG
more red2.JPG
more red3.JPG
more red4.JPG
green not good.JPG
first layer is green.JPG
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#17 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:36 pm

go to slice manag. enter support mode
Attachments
go to slice manag. enter support mode.JPG
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

V Jewels
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#18 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:39 am

Thanks for all the inputs.. i recalibrated the build table & projector , insterted a paper to confirm, it didn't go through.... there's something am missing here.. the calibrated print fell from the same side, n had a hole at 1 end.
The words b9creator are also not coming clear , thickness of corners:
Yesterday : 2.7 -------4.0-------4.1
3.9------------------4.1
2.4--------4.2------4.1

today: 2.5-------4.3-------3.7
3.9-----------------3.8
2.6-------4.1------3.9
Attachments
IMG_2019.jpg
IMG_2018.jpg
IMG_2016.jpg
IMG_2015.jpg
IMG_2014.jpg
IMG_2013.jpg
IMG_2012.jpg
IMG_2011.jpg
IMG_2010.jpg

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#19 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:34 pm

The thickness of my calibration print (my best one) is approx. .96 to 1.1mm. Why are u having 2.7 to 4.0 mm thickness?

Robert

V Jewels
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#20 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:47 pm

clearing the confusion.. with thickness i meant, from base to top of cylindrical ( height ) . I did more calibrations n printing, still the problem was same, am thinking of making a new pdms n then try again. pls check images below.
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_2025.JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender_3.jpg
FullSizeRender_2.jpg
FullSizeRender_1.jpg

Return to “Operation”