Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

How to videos - rough draft- feedback thread

Post#1 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:56 pm

Feed back thread for this topic: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2674

Thanks cant' wait to watch.

Robert
Last edited by Robert Howle on Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dance like nobody's watching!

jljr99
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Re: How to videos - rough draft

Post#2 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:05 pm

Mike, consider opening a new forum page where just yourself and other knowledgeable people can post these helpful things apart from the gen pop forum. We gen pop people tend to fill what should be helpful topics with a bunch of garbage (myself included).
This way we can easily direct newbies to a specific place for short, clean, precise and helpful information as well as find things quick and easily without reading through endless rants.

RobertH
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:14 pm

I have watched them most, very well done and learned few extra stuff.

Want to make sure one other thing and Mike might know this. If I raise the vat pour the pdms let it sit for 30 minutes and get rid of all the bubbles, will the pdms have enough time to flow back if I were to put it level inside a hot box already set at 180F?

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#4 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:29 pm

jljr99 wrote:Mike, consider opening a new forum page where just yourself and other knowledgeable people can post these helpful things apart from the gen pop forum. We gen pop people tend to fill what should be helpful topics with a bunch of garbage (myself included).
This way we can easily direct newbies to a specific place for short, clean, precise and helpful information as well as find things quick and easily without reading through endless rants.

I locked the original topic and split this thread off for comments/feedback.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#5 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:30 pm

RobertH wrote:I have watched them most, very well done and learned few extra stuff.

Want to make sure one other thing and Mike might know this. If I raise the vat pour the pdms let it sit for 30 minutes and get rid of all the bubbles, will the pdms have enough time to flow back if I were to put it level inside a hot box already set at 180F?

I think there will be plenty of time for it to level out.

180 is pretty close to the temperature of deformation for the acrylic window, be careful.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

RobertH
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#6 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:38 pm

mikej wrote:
RobertH wrote:I have watched them most, very well done and learned few extra stuff.

180 is pretty close to the temperature of deformation for the acrylic window, be careful.

is there an overcure on the pdms? I can go 150F 2.5 3 hours maybe? just want to prevent damage.

one other thing

Caution: Standard Print Cycle Settings are not utilized. is what I get.

RobertH
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#7 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:44 pm

RobertH wrote:
mikej wrote:

is there an overcure on the pdms? I can go 150F 2.5 3 hours maybe? just want to prevent damage.

one other thing
your video for cherry shows 31 minutes for 30xy 30z test print
mine shows 35 minutes, why?

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Re: How to videos - rough draft- feedback thread

Post#8 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:48 pm

Not sure there's a pdms overcure, I don't think so. You can certainly cure at 180F, just be sure your sensor is correct. 160F at 3 hours would work too I think.

The, "Caution: Standard Print Cycle Settings are not utilized." message is telling you that you're not using the default cycle settings (look under the Advanced Settings tab to see what it is). Click the big orange button lower down to reset everything to default.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (80.42 KiB) Viewed 4457 times
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

RobertH
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#9 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:55 pm

thanks Mike! I have done that, I saw the video afterwards. Only issue is I assume you have setup the msm lower? mine is .860 now and for the test grid I see in the video you have cherry as an example, yours give 31 minutes to complete, mine is 36 minutes, why is that?

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#10 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:23 pm

Please read and follow these instructions, they tell you to set the Printer Settings back to default before you try to print.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2672&p=28346#p28308

- After installing be sure to go to Setting->Printer Settings and load factory defaults then save values.

Don't confuse the printer settings with the exposure and cycle settings. :?
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#11 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:30 pm

Robert H, since the SW calculates for lamp age, and the selected MSM, then prob not going to see the same print times, even when using default settings.

I used 150F to cure so as not to damage the window on the new poly vat. Took about 2 hrs.

RobertH
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#12 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:00 pm

Robert Howle wrote:Robert H, since the SW calculates for lamp age, and the selected MSM, then prob not going to see the same print times, even when using default settings.

I used 150F to cure so as not to damage the window on the new poly vat. Took about 2 hrs.

got the point, thanks Robert, that is what I will do also. Still using my aluminum for now, but the last time accidently did less pdms on the poly vat and living it out for 48 hours, I just see oven is a better option finish.

Franz
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#13 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:08 pm

Thanks Mike and B9 Team.

I watched all the videos and found them well thought out and presented. I know this is a big help to me as a new user and would recommend all new users watch.

I think it is great that there are is a standardized print calibration to get all users on the same page from the start. I found demos of table and projector calibrations very helpful and learned something from all.

Waiting for a new vat to apply my new found knowledge.

Regards
Franz

mredburn
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#14 » Fri May 01, 2015 7:40 am

A question about the test print generated by the files. Is the base printed to the exact size of the print area? If I print the 30 micron test print, the first one. Does it print it 57 x.6 x 32.4? If so I can use that to measure to see if my print is to large or to small to begin with.

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#15 » Fri May 01, 2015 9:29 am

Yes, brilliant!
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

mredburn
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#16 » Fri May 01, 2015 10:26 am

As it turns out my print is apx 1% larger than the specified size should be. 32.8 x 58.02. That means my pegs should be 1% larger than 2mm when adjusted correctly. My B + side is smaller than the B- so Im running it through the adjusting and printing process at the moment. My pegs in the center are smaller than 2mm which means I need to increase the slope I believe. I will have to re watch the video

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#17 » Fri May 01, 2015 10:30 am

mredburn wrote: My pegs in the center are smaller than 2mm which means I need to increase the slope I believe. I will have to re watch the video

Adjust the MSM (larger) to increase the dia of the pegs in the middle (and edges).

Then adjust the slope smaller (if needed) to decrease the outer pegs diameters.

For best results, get the overall optical grid (projector calibration) as close as possible before doing any fade/balance/msm/slope adjustments.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

mredburn
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#18 » Fri May 01, 2015 10:51 am

Thank you that did the trick. I am not sure if my printed grid or old eyes could pull that 1 % out. I am better off to leave it alone. Most of my parts I make have to be 4-7% larger than finished size to account for shrinkage in all the following processes. Most are masters which after casting have to be molded and then recast etc. I could always scale the drawings or I believe I read you could scale it in the software? Either way the important part is to have it uniform across the print area. My pegs are now within .02mm of each other. Well below the tolerances I need to use the prints.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#19 » Fri May 01, 2015 1:01 pm

In my Matrix sw i just select the entire model and scale 3d, or in your case for 7% it would be x 1.07

I scale all my models at 1.015 or 1.5%.

Scale from center 0,0,0 or in the cast of my sw just from F4.

Robert Howle

mredburn
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#20 » Sun May 03, 2015 8:14 pm

Yes I scale it 1.07 in 3d. I use Rhino 5. All though I may when using different metals or if Im going to use a rtv silicone just do 1.04 percent. All my parts have to be finished after casting to specific tolerances.

Return to “Operation”