Software guide for Noobs?

Using the software
KNSCi
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#1 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:45 am

Today we got our first completed print on the third try. Ruined 3 PDMS already (one while cleaning, replacements had bubbles that ripped in printing).

I'll post a pic and questions on the print elsewhere but in this forum seems appropriate to ask if there is a 'getting started' guide to the various adjustments in the software. I haven't been able to find anything on it in the Forums, wiki, or software itself.

Is there such a guide, an outline of steps with brief explanations of what the information that is shown means and what the adjustments do?

Or does everyone have to spend a lot of time on their own trial and error, or is there a site outside B9 that teaches these basics?

At this point I'm making observations and not able to make corrections since I don't know what settings affect what.

Ack! Curse of the Noobs! :-)
ZLab3d, printing with B9Creator 1.1 & 1.2 since 2013

perpetual_dreamer
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#2 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:06 am

There is no official guide but I think most noobs who've run into problems have asked questions about print settings on the forum which have been answered time and again. I think it would help if we had one thread on print settings/adjustments as a sticky here.

KNSCi
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:41 am

Second the motion... all in favor, aye! approved! and in the wiki.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#4 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:58 am

As has been said before. Stick with default settings in the materials catalog. Grow at recommended slice thickness for resin chosen. i.e. red resin, at say, 50 microns z, that matches the xy resolution u have chosen.. until u get a feel for the machine. I don't think it is wise to start as a newb with the cherry resin. just my 9 cents. If u start out with default then it is much easier for members here to help.

The layout and slice are straight forward. The print dialogue box is step by step. If u have done the above suggested, and u are calibrated (table and projector) u should be getting usable prints. I did from the first print. I did not play with any settings until I went to mixed resins and thinner z slices. My understanding is that Mike is working of some type of manual. Don't forget this is open source, DIY,

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

KNSCi
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#5 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:33 am

Robert; good tips, thanks. You're posting so many good tips, you should write the book!
Under the 'I'm just sayin'' category, I was given the task to assemble and operate the B9 without warning. I knew we were considering a 3d printing device but here it is. So no time for organized study of the topic. Hence my confusion even with the basics of the software. IE, I see "materials catalog" in the menu but it doesn't automatically mean anything as a person with no engineering background or 3d printing or much diy experience. That said, I've worked as a pilot so I have a structured, logical way of approaching things but also a need for orientation and guidance with new equipment.
The 'it's open source and DIY' phrase makes me sad because it means people are not communicating optimally. If I was designing a new Thing, I would document it all along the way so people would understand it and have a baseline to start from. With this, it seems like every individual has to go out on their quest of discovery which is a really inefficient use of human time. Wish there was a better way. End of Rant! :-)

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#6 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:54 am

I don't agree. Yes, i did buy an assembled machine, but it was to avoid all the issues i see here with kit built machines (sticking Z, etc). The very beginning I had no idea what any of the labels or boxes in the dialogues were either. Like i said if u stick with a basic grow, red, 50 z, default settings, maybe slow down the vat, and print. Don't try to print anything but simple models, making sure you are calibrated properly. Ask the simple questions (what is materials catalogue, what is printer cycle settings, what is overlift, what is settle, what is breathe, what is T-base, what is T-over) that is if u didn't get it from the forum or the wiki. Everyone prob thought I was a dummy in the beginning, but I didn't ask what i was doing wrong I asked for definitions of terms so I could make logical moves. I picked a successful user and read there posts;. I was printing the second day I got the machine. Did I have to make changes to get the resolution I wanted for jewelry, yes. It is a process. Be logical in your moves. Only change one thing at a time.

Had my first full fail print last night (two model were great and one was in pieces). The reason was clear. I had grown the model 2 times before with no problems. This third time i tried to use all "light" supports. No good. Grow everything with 20% vat speeds, etc. This was something I just wanted to know how much it effected a build. I had never use a light support in the past, now I know that they might only be used as supplemental support. I am not going to say that they don't work, I'm just saying they don't work on all models, this is judgement and experience. This is not that difficult, some are making it like rocket science, it's not, but it is straight line thinking and getting the basics first.

jewelrybyjustin
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#7 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:58 am

I might do a YouTube Video on how I add supports to jewelry specifically

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#8 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:04 pm

Great idea Justin, looking forward to it.

jeremy
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#9 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:07 pm

please do justin

jewelrybyjustin
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#10 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:28 pm

jewelrybyjustin
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#11 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:28 pm

The first installment ... it's late and I just went over how I support rings vertically http://youtu.be/eu5rac7WUb0

Billions

Post#12 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:50 pm

Thank you Justin, that video was concise, and has a few key points about what might "wash away" on abrupt changes (like your top ring halo) in a design when it's being built by the B9 machine. Good insight.
Also, being new to this software/b9 machine, I didn't realize you could position pieces "over the line" and have the the generated support disks outside of the build area. Key for fitting more parts in a session - cool!

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#13 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:25 pm

Justin enjoyed the video. Never new there was a foundation tool. Thought I was using to many supports, but looks like I have been thinking correctly most of the time. What software are u using to make videos. Camtasia or the like?

jeremy
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#14 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:06 am

very helpful, wish there was more jewelry related tutorials. thank you justin

jewelrybyjustin
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#15 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:39 am

Quote from Robert Howle on October 16, 2013, 04:25
Justin enjoyed the video. Never new there was a foundation tool. Thought I was using to many supports, but looks like I have been thinking correctly most of the time. What software are u using to make videos. Camtasia or the like?

Thanks! I am using Camtasia, I'm no pro at it but I have made a few tutorial videos for Matrix, I will make some more going over printer cycle setting as I understand them.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#16 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:46 pm

I got the free 30 day camtasia download but haven't tried it yet.

jewelrybyjustin
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#17 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:16 pm

Here is a quick video on the material catalog and printer cycle settings. http://youtu.be/0SKRGWqTHLU

jewelrybyjustin
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#18 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:17 pm

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#19 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:01 pm

That has def been needed. Thanks for taking the time Justin. We prob need one area on the Forum just for videos (tutorials). Maybe Mike can move all the vids that are done, if he likes them, to the "Getting Started" area in the home page.

jeremy
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#20 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:31 am

anyone else having issues with the software crashing when slicing? I can only put three rings in the build area otherwise it crashes consistently at about 70%-80%

Return to “Operation”