PDMS replacement

Discussions on normal hardware operation, tips, etc.
Alfred Dufour
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

PDMS replacement

Post#1 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:12 pm

Hello all,

Is Qsil 216 still a good replacement for Dow corning PDMS. I need to order some and Qsil appears to be a lot cheaper on ebay even taking into account the dollar difference for us in Canada.
Thank you, Alfred

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Re: PDMS replacement

Post#2 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:19 am

Qsyl works perfectly. Been using it for many years. On ebay, there are really low prices when you buy 4 at a time (look for those deals).

Alfred Dufour
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:03 pm

I thank you for reply, will order some tonight.
Best regards, Alfred

Aaron RMW
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#4 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:55 am

how does this coating compare as far as print hours without clouding etc? still looking for a magic bullet once per year (or better) coating for the v1.2 aluminum vats.

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#5 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:16 pm

The Qsyl is the same, works the same... just costs less on ebay specially the 4 pack.
It is not any better.

Aaron RMW
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#6 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:40 am

Dang. I'm going to be buying a v1.2 machine from my work. I wish there was a longer lasting alternative to the PDMS on these machines, that's the biggest issue since I don't have everything necessary to recoat at home.

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#7 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:17 am

It's actually pretty simple. I would start with at least 2 trays... maybe 4 trays.
I bought a small electric oven that would fit 2 trays sideways.( $85)
Now, when you have used up 2 trays, you have 2 as back up. You can recoat at your leisure.
The only really critical issue with pouring your own PDMS trays is the surface that you will be working on must be 100% square/ level and the small oven must be leveled also.
If it is not level and the material dries incorrectly, then you will have some problems.
Other then that, simple.

Aaron RMW
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#8 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:46 pm

I'm super familiar with how it should work, I have to do the recoating for the vats at work currently, the only difference for me will be doing everything at home, where I don't yet have a toaster oven for curing, also I'll be buying my sylguard or what-have-you myself, so not looking forward to spending more money to be able to use the machine I'm buying. I'll have the 2 aluminum vats that we have already in use, as well as 2 clear acrylic vats which are damaged but still useable in a pinch (cracks in the acrylic walls, already filled with hardened cherry:red, not leaking anymore, but not pretty either). I just wish there was a one time application so I won't have to deal with recoating and calibration ever again... but we can't always get what we want. I'll just keep wishing.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#9 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:47 pm

If u don't have the toaster oven u can always make a curing box. A light bulb in a closed box and check how hot it gets, u will be surprised.

Also room temp cure takes 48 hrs (make sure it's level). If u have four vats to work with just always have one curing on a level surface.

In the beginning I think we all just did room temp cure till the heating method became known to us.

Robert
Dance like nobody's watching!

lobby
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#10 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:27 am

I have a small toaster oven for curing the resin vats, but I actually don't use it. My vats cure at room temperature. I don't need vats cured in 1 hour so badly that I want to mess with the curing ovens.

I own three vats.

- I use one for one week, and print with it for about 20 - 25 hours of actual printing time. Say Tuesday through Saturday.

- On Saturday, the pdms is clouded over. I replace with a fresh vat, and get ready for next week's prints.

- I clean the used vat, dry it, remove the pdms and recoat it with Sylgard

- I place it level on my bench and leave it for the weekend. When I get back to work the following Tuesday the pdms is cured.

And as Jackson Browne says, "and when the morning light comes streaming in, I'll get up and do it again. Amen."

Return to “Operation”