behold the METRATRON!!! (First print)

Discussions on normal hardware operation, tips, etc.
UGUSILVA
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#1 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:41 am

Finished my first print :P

no bumps on the way, connected the printer, installed the arduino drivers, loaded the B9 creator software, calibrated the z printing bed , loaded resin and hit print, 3 and a half hours later... here it is... Damn i'm Happy 8-)

darthviper107
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#2 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:39 am

Nice, what resolution is that at?

UGUSILVA
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:52 am

made at 100 microns , Normal Layer Exposure - 20 , #Attach Layers (AL) - 4 , AL Max Exposure (sec) - 45

pmwasson
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#4 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:30 am

Very nice!

behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#5 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:41 pm

how did you figure to calibrate?

nick
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#6 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:02 pm

how did you figure to calibrate?

In another thread, Michael described the process.
Here I'm paraphrasing:
1) with all 4 build table screws loosened, tell the printer to adjust to build level by typing command “g”
2) adjust the build table to be flush with vat by putting light pressure downward, then tighten all 4 screws.
3) focus the projector on the build table by looking from the bottom and adjusting the two focus rings.
4)undo the main thumb screw to remove the build table. (so we don't ruin the vat coating when we remove it)
5) reset the printer, which moves the build table to to 57mm or so.
6) carefully remove the build table from the vat surface and reattach it by thumb screw.
7) print!

Losang
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#7 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:41 pm

Impressive : )

behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#8 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:45 pm

seems to me that there is still something missing in the calibration. For instance, how do we know at what size we are to adjust the calibration grid on the build platform? also, the projector to this point is still supposed to be loose. at what point are we to secure it and to what guidelines? I think i will wait. i appreciate the push to print but i am trying to deliberately learn as i go. its good to see how close you are

Suijin
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#9 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:02 pm

I made a frame in 3D at 100 microns x 75 microns to project and then a paper rectangle at 100x75 microns. Then I just adjusted the projector till the projected lines were correct.

mongerdesigns
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#10 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:14 am

Just did my first print of the Metratron. Did a few blanks until I figured out that the build table has to rest on the vat. Everything went smooth, until it was time to clean and take the piece out. There was resin accumulated on the top of the build table, and it spilled inside the machine. It was a pain to clean, because the resin is kinda greasy and it doesn't clean well. Also, the vat doesn't get cleaned easily either. I washed it with warm water and dabbed with paper towels, but the entire vat is pink now, from resin getting in between the two layers. See attached images. I wonder if it's better to just leave the resin in the vat all the time instead of trying to clean.Image
ImageImage

darthviper107
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#11 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:04 am

If it's going over the top of the vat there can be some issues, if it's going over the right side then it's probably too much resin, it's best to keep the level as low as possible, so I had it like 5mm above the build surface, you can add resin later if you need more. I had tried to use the bottle but the hose got pulled as the vat moves which increased the level that it filled up to. So if you're around to check on it you can just pour more in which I think is best.

Looks like the resin got under your PDMS layer, which I would think is impossible to remove. Best way to clean the vat is 1--pour out as much resin as possible, I do it in one corner in a thin stream so that it goes only in one direction, just try and drain as much as possible, and keep the vat in that angled position once it's as empty as you can get it, you don't want the remaining resin going back the other direction. Then take some water and rinse out the vat and get as much of the remaining resin out. After that, get some 70% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol ($3 at Wal-Mart) and put some in the vat, enough so you can swish it around in the vat, and just keep swishing it around the vat for a bit, the Alcohol does a really good job of cleaning it up and it dries really well. Once you get the inside there clean, you can take a paper towel and wipe the walls, don't wipe the PDMS, sometimes I might very lightly dab to dry up a drop of alcohol, but try to avoid that as much as possible. The Alcohol also cleans the bottom streak-free.

In your case, alcohol might be able to get in there to dissolve the resin under there, but I think you might still be able to print since that area isn't on the build area. Still, the best option would be to replace the PDMS, we'll have to hear from Mike about that type of thing.

mongerdesigns
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#12 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:36 pm

Ya, if you zoom into the picture you can see that the resin got trough the walls and then between the two layers of the vat. I think only the print area of the vat has the Pdms coating, and that area is clean. I wasn't sure if alcohol would actually damage the coating. That's why I didn't use it.

UGUSILVA
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#13 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:03 pm

I'm using a slightly different method then darth does, I normally tilt the Vat and remove the resin with a syringe, that makes it really easy and definitely not a messy job, the resin slides pretty well on the PDMS leaving almost no traces on them (except when you have residues of cured resin from failed prints, those tend to stay in the VAT and not slide with the rest of the resin, you can have an idea on one of my posts http://www.b9c.com/index.php/support/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=63.0 )

after removing the resin i use neutral liquid soap and warm water to clean the PDMS, and Isopropyl for the rest of the VAT (I too am afraid that the alchool I have [Isopropyl 100%] is to agressive for the PDMS)

PS- I need a bigger syringe but that was the one i had laying arround :)

darthviper107
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#14 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:25 pm

Yeah, a syringe would be a bit better since you wouldn't make a mess over the side.

maetti
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#15 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:31 pm

Hi Mongerdesi, same picture to me with the PDMS. I think it's not only because of the cleaning, it can be too because of a too long exposure!
I have already ordered Sylgard 184 to make a new PDMS by myself. I am waiting on Mikes help how to pour the Sylgard 184 Silicone to the VAT.

I already wrote to Mike to make the VAT V2 a bit different as it is very bad to pour out the Resin without a syringe.

What about a little hole at the deepersurface side plate of the Vat
with a silicone plug to close

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#16 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:20 am

I tried several "pour spout" designs, none of them performed any better than carefully pouring out from the front/deep side corner. I guess I got pretty good at it as I had forgotten what a pain it could be.
I am planning to raise the front and back sides of the vat on the next version to be as tall as possible with the current design. Should allow a bit more elbow room for deeper resin fill.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

niklnikl
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#17 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:37 pm

Hi Mike,
I was going to talk to you about the vat. Maybe v3 could be an injection molded part with a tupperware-type lid
and opaque side walls? This way multiple vats can easily be stored in some sort of rack. I have an injection molding company and would love to talk to you about this offline.
A screw-cap pour spout at one end would also be a nice feature.
Nik

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#18 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:20 pm

Sounds interesting, can an injection molded part have the optically clear (no distortion) window cast into it?
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

niklnikl
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#19 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:43 pm

The window can be made of Acrylic or Polycarbonate, very optically clear and free of distortion.
The vat can be overmolded onto the clear window, that's one option.
Another possibility is a user replaceable window with a silicone seal or oring.
Then the window can be either glass or plastic.
I can talk to my mold maker about some possible options.

niklnikl
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#20 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:44 pm

I'll model the vat up in Solidworks tomorrow and have my mold maker look it over.

Return to “Operation”