projectors comparison

Discussions on normal hardware operation, tips, etc.
max
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

projectors comparison

Post#1 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:59 am

Hi
I've build my own machine and first I tried vivitek d910 with EC500, the results were great. But my projector broke and it was my fault. I tried to replace it with another model dh558. I couldn't even print with that projector so I replaced it with a dh913 and again I was satisfied with the results.
Can anyone tell me what should I actually look for when buying a projector? There's little difference between D910 and DH558 when I look their specs. I'm a little confused and I don't know what was the problem exactly.

Italyy

Re: projectors comparison

Post#2 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:12 pm

This is a big mystery for me too.

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#3 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:33 pm

Generally speaking (and there are a lot of variables) you can ignore lumens and focus on the wattage of the lamp.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

Italyy

Post#4 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:43 pm

Thank you Mike for your answer.

max
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#5 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:25 pm

You're right Mike, I think lumen is not an accurate number

Italyy

Post#6 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:27 pm

Mike, can you please share with us another important factor beside the lamp wattage?

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#7 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:51 am

Well, the key factor is energy output in the 385-420 nm range. Most projectors filter out UV harder than 400nm. We replace the UV in our v1.2 machine with one that allows that to pass through but still rejects much of the IR (heat).

Also, you'll need to modify the optics to allow up close focus without distortion.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

Italyy

Post#8 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:13 pm

Thank you again super wonderful Mark.

max
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#9 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:19 pm

But something I can't understand, 385 to 420 nm isn't the uv range, then how do they measure the power of this range with a uv meter, is it possible?
They say some resins are for visible range and others are for uv range, Do they refer to a range of wavelengths or a specific wavelength? And you said you remove the uv filter, why? isn't the 400 to 420nm enough for curing?
And besides when I remove the filter, and when I want to print other materials, the parts become so thick, Is it because the power is too much for that resin?
And another thing I really want to know is that if we lower the brightness, will it also lower the power output?
And, if we filter the 420nm to higher wavelengths, won't it affect the printing?

max
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#10 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:19 am

Hi

I did a test but didn't get any good results.
We discussed about the projector power, so I changed the lamp from 190 w to 280 w. But unfortunately my projector became weaker. Does anyone know what's the problem?

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#11 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:40 am

Maybe has a strong UV to violet filter in place?
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#12 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:30 am

This very tiny filter is in the interior wall gong into the lense.
It is very small. If this is cracked or broken, the prints will bw horrible.
If you remove this filter, Then the filter Mike sent will work much better.
If the small filter is not broken... remove it anyway.
Attachments
cracked lense filter.jpg
cracked lense filter.jpg (74.54 KiB) Viewed 4787 times

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#13 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:45 pm

That is not the filter we send for replacement. That filter should remain in place at all times.

The larger thicker filter that is on the lamp housing is the only filter that should be considered for any changes.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#14 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:03 pm

Sorry Mike for possibly causing confusion, but this is the filter that broke on my second projector. Then I received another projector and that small filter was missing, but the big filter was in place... I am still printing with that one!

max
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#15 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:57 am

i've tested a new projector, vivitek dh833, the lamp watage is 310, so it should be stronger than d912, but it's not. how?

max
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#16 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:12 am

help me please, I'm really confused, how is it possible?
I can't understand why d833 is weaker than d912. both its lamp wattage and its brightness are higher than d912.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#17 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:09 pm

When u say it is "not working" exactly what do u mean?

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

max
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#18 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:47 pm

I mean its light output is weaker than d912 and so it can't cure like d912, I measure their output with a photo sensor and the d833 is really weaker. I can't figure it out.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#19 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:03 am

Was it a used projector, or new? All lamps are not created equally, u may just have a bad lamp. Afterall the lamp is the only "output" u are measuring. If its a new projector u could order a new lamp or lamp assembly and keep the original one as a backup. Don't think it would help to contact the mfg, because they dont' make the projectors as parts of 3d printers. If it projects a 3d HD image, that's what it was designed to do.

The B9 software ages the lamp output and increases the exposures times based on the life and diminishing output over time and is based on a "typical" lamp. Many users have had to decrease MSM and others increase the MSM on new projectors and or replacement lamps because the default settings are for a "typical" lamps output.

Just increase the MSM and print. If the print times are longer than u like, get a new lamp or assembly. This will not guarantee the new one will have a higher output. I believe printed tech info on any projector is going to be an average of lamps tested.

JMO

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

max
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#20 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:13 am

Thanks for your reply, both my lamp and projector are new, what really makes me sad is that I thought buying a more powerful projector will lower my print time, but I even have problem printing with this projector. So now I can't trust manufacturer's written specs and I don't know what should I really look for when buying projector.

Return to “Operation”