Fast UV post curing unit.

Discussions on normal hardware operation, tips, etc.
akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Re: Fast UV post curing unit.

Post#21 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:07 pm

Thanks Robert
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

arn11

Post#22 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:40 am

Hi,

So I am pretty new to all of this and had a question regarding the post-print process. I had printed a small model 30*30*6 mm using the Emerald resin, as a trial. Then I cured it overnight, by keeping it under UV light with a glass slide holding it down and foil surrounding this setup. The next day I observe that the edges have curved up and thus its no longer a flat surface, which I require. Is it due to over-curing? Is there any particular time that the print should be cured for? How else can I prevent this curling?

Any input would be of great help.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#23 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:01 pm

Post a picture of the print.

Robert
Dance like nobody's watching!

perpetual_dreamer
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#24 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:07 pm

arn11 wrote:Hi,

So I am pretty new to all of this and had a question regarding the post-print process. I had printed a small model 30*30*6 mm using the Emerald resin, as a trial. Then I cured it overnight, by keeping it under UV light with a glass slide holding it down and foil surrounding this setup. The next day I observe that the edges have curved up and thus its no longer a flat surface, which I require. Is it due to over-curing? Is there any particular time that the print should be cured for? How else can I prevent this curling?

Any input would be of great help.

I assume you didn't use the B9 curing unit to cure overnight.. that would be overkill xD

arn11

Post#25 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:48 am

Hi,

Nope, I did not use the curing unit, but went ahead using a UV lamp.

I even tried duct taping the edges for more even curing but still did not work. Is there anything else I could do? How will we know when it is cured?
Attachments
IMG_2353.JPG
Here's the image of the print.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#26 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:41 am

When u file or sand the surface do u get dust? Really good surface cure is all that is required. The uv lamp curing depends on the wave lenth and the output of the lamp. I'm surprised a 6mm thick print didn't warp and fall off the build table.

There is a reason why attachment layers are .5mm in thickness.

Robert Howle

arn11

Post#27 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:18 pm

Yes, I do get dust.
Well, I am using a 40W UV lamp. I did have supports on it but removed it afterwards.
Would a turntable help? I read about people using blue painters tape on the build plate. Would that be of any use?

Thanks.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#28 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:45 pm

U can get solar turntables on Amazon for very little. With the single sorce UV it might help. Don't need painters tape. Don't know why it would be used. Can u explain?

Robert Howle

arn11

Post#29 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:25 am

The tape is to be placed on the build plate and it is said to help the prints adhere better and prevent from curling and lifting, as per some website.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#30 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:01 am

The curling is due to the base and subsequent layes being overcured when light penetrates to those already partially cured layers. Don't see how tape could possibly help that.

Robert Howle

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#31 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:40 pm

arn11 wrote:Yes, I do get dust.
Well, I am using a 40W UV lamp. I did have supports on it but removed it afterwards.
Would a turntable help? I read about people using blue painters tape on the build plate. Would that be of any use?

Thanks.

Where did you read about using blue tape ?

I have read that for FDM printers Like the makerbot but never for a DLP resin printer
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

Return to “Operation”