Fast UV post curing unit.

Discussions on normal hardware operation, tips, etc.
Devlin
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Fast UV post curing unit.

Post#1 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:28 pm

My new curing unit arrived today, very nice!

So the method using the glass jar is intended to fill it with water. Should it be distilled or is tap water fine?

Is it necessary to use underwater or open air curing is fine too.

I have been curing in a microwave with the models submerged in water and then after drying the models I would cure in a nail curing box.

Is there a study that under water UV curing is enough. on its own.

I did experiment with UV under water in the past and my model would get some surface distortions. Softened surfaces mostly. So I stopped.

Just looking for some clarity on how best to use this sweet little box.

Thank you,
Michael
Matrix 7.5, Zbrush 4r7, Minitech minimill 2, B9 Creator V1.2

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Re: Fast UV post curing unit.

Post#2 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:31 pm

Curing underwater works because oxygen inhibits curing.

You can use tap or distilled. The box works great, just use it with water. I would avoid alcohol all together. Clean print with DAwn and water mixture. Ultrasonic for 3 to 5 min., rinse, then cure underwater. I cure most med and small rings for only 2 to 3 min. Have only cured really heavy pieces for up to 6 min.

I hope users dont' start overthinking the light box. Just use as recommened and u will never look back.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

Devlin
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:51 pm

Thank you Robert,

I have been using dawn, however i do like to give the model a quick spay on alcohol to thin the resin before going into the water and dawn.

Michael

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#4 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:52 pm

If u use alcohol with the soap and water and even the ultrasonic, u may get white chalk like surface residue after curing in the light box. It doesn't have any effect on the castings, but looks a little funky.

Just a heads up. I always used alcohol before the light box. U really don't need it because it never gets into the nooks and cranies anyway. I wouldnt' waste the money or the time. I changed after nearly 3 yrs of doing it "my way".

Robert Howle

Devlin
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#5 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:58 am

I am totally open to trying new ways and changing my old ways.If not, I would not be doing CAD or 3d printing.
The old ways of curing models have been working, this new box is a time saver.

With that said, Do you still use an oven or microwave curing before uv curing in the new box.
Or big question, is curing only in the new uv box would be enough.

Michael

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#6 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:24 pm

Clean print with DAwn and water mixture. Ultrasonic for 3 to 5 min., rinse, then cure underwater. I cure most med and small rings for only 2 to 3 min. Have only cured really heavy pieces for up to 6 min.

The only thing I use the toaster oven for anymore is pizza and curing vat PDMS.

Robert

fcort
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#7 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:21 pm

I have been amazed by what this new little Model Curer can do. All that I do is rinse model in water, hit it with air compressor and cure for 2 mins for average rings and 4 -5 mins for heavy mens rings.
Have fun using it and start enjoying the time that you now can save.
Red Door Distributions
www.reddoordistributions.com
619-564-6698

grach13
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#8 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:52 pm

I`m now curing in UV nail box for 5-6 hours , this thing could save me so much time!

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#9 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:58 pm

I only have 7 left.

Robert

Howlere@gmail.com

pmauddib
Lurker
Lurker

Post#10 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:40 am

Got mine in a few days ago. Works great, I used to use an envisiontec 'flasher' p.o.s. machine to cure my prints. This is much faster and thorough.

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#11 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:38 pm

I just got my B9 Curing box today from Robert and the first thing I did was unpack it, Plug it in... add water to the bowl and drop a fresh print right of the printer into the bowl ( after cleaning in dish washing soap). 2 minutes later, it was cured Better then anything .
Thanks for talking me into it Robert Howle,
These are really good and I highly recommend getting one of these from Robert as he is one of the B9 distributors .

And B9 team.... you have built a fantastic curing system.

Stephen Attaway
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#12 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:01 pm

My unit came with orange glasses. When do I need these glasses?
Thanks,
Stephen Attaway

perpetual_dreamer
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#13 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:50 pm

I just got my unit today.. Think this will be one of the best purchases in a while aside from the printer itself. I was wasting 6 to 7 hours curing on my nail curing uv lamp and had to constantly flip/rotate the model every hour or so in order to get all areas cured. Now I can finally have my models printed in 2-3 hrs and drop these off to the caster the same day. ^^

To those curing with their units for 2-3minutes, do you have to flip your printed models or rotate it? I'm guessing 1 minute each side? Or is the lamp strong enough to cure all around without flipping the part? Also, will the model crack if you cure too long?

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#14 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:54 am

I leave the 'base' on my prints so I can stand them up and no turning or flipping needed. If I have a heavy print that must me layed down I cure for 1-3 min on each side. Really thick ones I cure for 6 min on each side.

Robert Howle

perpetual_dreamer
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#15 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:22 pm

thanks.. Was wondering if your cured prints feel brittle/hard plastic like or are they still kinda soft and hard rubber like?

I think my cured prints from my nail lamp end up really brittle/plastic like.. Didn't notice that after curing with this lamp. I only realized that just now. I will get back the casting on Friday. Looking forward to the results. ^^ Hope they turn out real nice.. The nail uv lamp has been giving me problems lately as I think the blubs are dying out.

perpetual_dreamer
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#16 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:00 pm

Just got back my platinum and 14k gold casts back from my caster.. My casts have never looked this smooth/clean. :) This UV curing unit will be one of my best investments.. Highly recommend it to those who still haven't picked one up yet. I had cured my rings for 1.5mins on two sides. No more waiting 6+ hours, flipping the prints every hour or so, and still having them turn out with slightly rough after casting.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#17 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:03 am

I have one Model cure left in stock. Not going to stock in the future (no room in my shop). Contact me for this one if u want to give it a try. Will make special offer for this last one only.

howlere@gmail.com

Robert Howle

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#18 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:26 pm

Robert Howle wrote:I have one Model cure left in stock. Not going to stock in the future (no room in my shop). Contact me for this one if u want to give it a try. Will make special offer for this last one only.

howlere@gmail.com

Robert Howle

Oddly enough I was here last night at midnight and I replied to this then and today it isn't here so I will reinterate

I am ready to take the plunge I'll take the last one.
I sent you an email last night as well I still don't know what happened to the original post unless I hit save draft in which case I have no Idea where that is saved to.
Tim
akgold
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#19 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:30 pm

akgold wrote:
Robert Howle wrote:I have one Model cure left in stock. Not going to stock in the future (no room in my shop). Contact me for this one if u want to give it a try. Will make special offer for this last one only.

howlere@gmail.com

Robert Howle

Oddly enough I was here last night at midnight and I replied to this then and today it isn't here so I will reinterate

I am ready to take the plunge I'll take the last one.
I sent you an email last night as well I still don't know what happened to the original post unless I hit save draft in which case I have no Idea where that is saved to.
Tim
akgold

I found it I responded to another thread where you had posted that same offer.
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#20 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:08 pm

Holding the last "instock" one I have. It's yours Tim

Sent u email.

Robert Howle

Return to “Operation”