Vat does not moves all the way

Discussions on normal hardware operation, tips, etc.
travisjohnson81
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#21 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:19 pm

You as well Robert

Fabio Penuela
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#22 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:10 am

Yes guys, that is exactly what happened now that I remenber. Thanks guys for the help!!!

Fabio Penuela

prototyper
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Re: Vat does not moves all the way

Post#23 » Sun May 29, 2016 9:45 pm

I had this exact issue for my very first print. The reason I uploaded v1.1 was because in one of the videos, its suggested that you can upload a different version if you needed to. He doesn't do it in the video but says he could if the printer was connected (or something like that). My printer was connected so I just went ahead and tested the upload of different firmware assuming that I could just switch it back to v1.2 without any consequences.
Print like nobody's watching!

prototyper
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#24 » Sun May 29, 2016 9:51 pm

And by the way, it seemed to only start the problem several minutes into the print. Then later, every few turns of the motor would actually go all the way.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#25 » Mon May 30, 2016 9:16 am

With the current software the vat moves all the way in the first few layers. Then the vat only moves as far as it has to to move the last printed layer over the dam for release (it knows where your print is). Then every 16 layers it does a full cycle to correct for any "drift" that might occur. So the movement u are seeing is normal. The shortest release movement would be with a small item all the way to the left side of the build area. When I am only printing one or two rings at a time, I always move them to the extreme left to shorten the print time. You will notice the finish clock time start to change (shorten) as the print progresses. The clock assumes a full vat cycle for each layer when the print begins, and updates as the print progresses.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

prototyper
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#26 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:03 pm

Great, thanks for the information! Thats a good idea, I'll do that in future prints.

I thought it was what was causing my print failures (see my other thread), so my problem must be something else.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#27 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:19 pm

Saw the other thread. I would def go back to the original computer and run a print.

Robert Howle

behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#28 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:21 pm

I know this is an old thread. I'm having an issue all of the sudden with the vat moving all the way. I have a version 1.1 machine and the values coincide with the suggested settings.

I have the correct machine selected. It will not allow me to change the settings either.

Any ideas?

behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#29 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:21 pm

I know this is an old thread. I'm having an issue all of the sudden with the vat moving all the way. I have a version 1.1 machine and the values coincide with the suggested settings.

I have the correct machine selected. It will not allow me to change the settings either.

Any ideas?

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#30 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:44 pm

What do you mean by "moving all the way"?

Robert

behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#31 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:59 pm

I mean that when you go to printer calibration-functional printer test-step 4:click here to command the printer to open the vat

The vat opens however it goes past fully open and stops where the vat window is 75% open. There is no way for me to change the value in machine settings. When I try to enter another number it goes back to the default values for 1.1 machines

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#32 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:53 pm

It is probably not the settings.

Have u checked the sensor on the right side to make sure there is no resin present. Clean it with ISO and a q tip.

Also unplug the usb from the printer and plug it back in.

Robert

behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#33 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:01 am

Yes, I completely disassembled the mechanism and cleaned it with ISO.

The unit has been unplugged as well.

I also disassembled the slide motor from the printer and cleaned the encoder with a brush and all around the arm area.

I'm becoming quite good at re-assembly. I might be able to do it blind folded. ;-)

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#34 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:33 am

Do you have the older 100:1 ratio gear motor or the newer 131:1 gear motor?

If you have the 100:1 and are using the setting for 131:1 it will act like you describe, I think.

For 131:1 settings are:

Slide Full Open Position (count): 4100
Slide Home Offset (count): 590

For 100:1 settings are:

Slide Full Open Position (count): 3100
Slide Home Offset (count): 450

Go to Settings->Printer Settings and see which you have. Don't Reset as that will change all your settings (you should probably copy them all down just to have as a backup). Change just the Slide settings to the opposite value and don't forget to hit Save.

See how the new settings affect the motion and report back?
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#35 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:21 am

Do you have the older 100:1 ratio gear motor or the newer 131:1 gear motor?

If you have the 100:1 and are using the setting for 131:1 it will act like you describe, I think.

For 131:1 settings are:

Slide Full Open Position (count): 4100
Slide Home Offset (count): 590

For 100:1 settings are:

Slide Full Open Position (count): 3100
Slide Home Offset (count): 450

Go to Settings->Printer Settings and see which you have. Don't Reset as that will change all your settings (you should probably copy them all down just to have as a backup). Change just the Slide settings to the opposite value and don't forget to hit Save.

See how the new settings affect the motion and report back?

I am almost certain I have the 100:1. My machine is the original kickstarter device. I tried to change those settings but when I save it propogates the previous value. It is currently set to 3100/ 450

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#36 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:50 am

Are you saying you can't set the other values at all? Then something is wrong for sure.

Try this.
Make sure you record your current printer settings.
Go to Printer Management and select a v1.2 configuration.
Let it upload the v1.2 firmware.
Then select the correct v1.1 configuration and again let it upload the firmware.
This will ensure the correct firmware is installed.
Go back to printer settings and make sure your settings are correct.
Save any changes.

Check slide operation and let us know.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#37 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:22 am

It will not allow me to adjust the settings after the new firmware is loaded because I do not have the proper projector resolution

When the 1.1 firmware is loaded it will not allow me to adjust the counts lower but will allow me to adjust them higher.

Am I mistaken. Should the window be 100% open at step 4 of the test function?
Last edited by behold3d on Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#38 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:27 am

Sure, anytime you change the configuration in Printer Manager, you'll need to also reselect the correct display (probably Display 2 1024 x 768 or similar for the v1.1 machines)
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#39 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:30 am

I understand but it will not load because I do not have the proper resolution projector

behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#40 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:52 am

I wanted to update everyone. Mike talked me through some checks ( thanks Mike)

I am gravitating towards encoder issues. I took a piece of paper and made sure the space between the encoder and the magnet was clean. That resulted in more revolutions and the vat only being open about 35%.

Return to “Operation”