B9 Forgives my neglect....

Discussions on normal hardware operation, tips, etc.
jschoenly
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#1 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:50 am

I just came off a bunch of travel and just too much going on where I neglected the printer somewhat. I've been trying to setup a better area/desk to work with the printer and needed to dedicate a computer to it in the process.

So, I literally finished a print, took the build table off and soaked in IPA, left the remaining resin in the VAT in the machine, covered the machine with a dark towel/cover, and walked away from it. For about 5 weeks! I came back to it this weekend having fixed up the computer to run it and setup a bigger work area. I looked and the resin had the pigment settled out pretty good, but no curing or anything weird looking so I proceeded to simply stir it back up (in the vat, carefully with the sweeper), top it off, and print.

I rebuild an older laptop with a fresh new Windows 7 install for the printer and installed all the needed software. I didn't even re-calibrate the z! I printed 2 items that came out well (enough) and used it as a data point. I don't plan on neglecting the machine on a regular basis, but was very impressed with the results having just let it sit....

Now that I have a better area setup, I'm planning on doing some 1:1 Cherry/Red Mix and see how that goes with everyone's input from the board (which i still need to catch up on a lot...).

Just thought I'd share!
Jared
Model Engineering

printer_kid
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#2 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:31 pm

Nice to know. I don't think I will be running my machine a ton so it's good to know that I can have it sit for a little without any problems. Did you have your VAT tilted to let the PDMS breath, while it was sitting?

ckl81
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:57 pm

welcome back :D

Post#4 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:24 am

As a test I too left the resin in the vat and the machine covered when not in use for roughly 3 weeks and was also able to print just fine. As jschoenly mentioned after a few days the resin does need to be mixed quite a bit, cycling the vat manually a number of times works well. After letting the vat sit I reclaimed the resin into a secondary container and inspected the pdms and it looked as clean as it did before putting in the resin. Still no issues from the long exposure to resin.

jschoenly
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#5 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:39 am

I did not have the PDMS exposed. Basically, the machine finished a print, I took off the build table, and i covered it. Didn't even remove the wiper.

As for the PDMS, it's held up well. I'd say its close to needed to be replaced now as it's getting a few cloudy spots, but after the good mix it's just working. I'm very happy with the machine even though I still feel I need to adjust the squareness of the z to the xy. But the build quality (the actual machine and part off it) are amazing for the money.
Jared
Model Engineering

Suijin
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#6 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:15 am

I left my resin in the VAT for a week and the resin leaked under the PDMS. These were VATS from Mike, so they aren't strongly adhered to the sides of the VAT. So yeah the VAT was dead.

I don't recommend leaving resin in the VAT.

noahbern
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#7 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:49 am

sound like the pdms had a tear, or wasn't coated properly.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#8 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:34 am

It's important to let the uncured mix move up the sides of the vat a little to help seal it. Helps to run it up in the corners also. I did have one of my vats (1 of 4) that leaked a little in one corner on the right end.
Dance like nobody's watching!

zanderscreations
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#9 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:12 am

Robert,
I do that to my recoatings too, but have you noticed that where the PDMS supposedly cures where you ran it up the sides just kind of rubs off when you clean the VAT? Though I suppose I haven't had the same problems like leaking ever so maybe it doesn't matter.

I left mine recently about a week, but I have a room where I blocked the window from sunlight and the room light was off so it seems fine.

Return to “Operation”