Calibration print way off

Software issues and solutions
Givengold
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Calibration print way off

Post#1 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:45 pm

I have been having all sorts of printing issues lately. I have calibrated the grid and build table already. Yesterday I printed the calibration block. This is what it looked like. I ran several when I first set up the machine, did another when I got the yellow resin. All were fine.
I think the build table may be too tight on the pdms, as the first few passes sounded like it was dragging or sticking too hard on the pdms. I'm getting tired of sending prints out that I should be doing in house. I also have a real rush job on account of this delay.
What is going on? This is at 30 microns.
Attachments
image.jpeg

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Re: Calibration print way off

Post#2 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:12 am

More info. what machine what xy. Is that print rinsed off or still covered in resin?

If u need a print I will do it at no charge, and send it out same day or next morning. let me know if I can help. If prints were fine before, what have u changed (xy setup, etc.)

Robert
Dance like nobody's watching!

andreas
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:05 am

if your build table is too tight with the pdms try to change the zhome position from 10400,
to 10100-10200 steps.
After that make sure you redo your table calibration.try this and see if it helps with "struggling"
also never try to push the vat when its struggling.this can cause your zaxis to bend..

Givengold
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#4 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:07 pm

I will check the settings in the morning. I have not changed any software settings other than the focus and build table. That pic is before rinse, literally as we were walking out the door on Saturday. The only other thing that I did was to clean the dust off of the lense. That was before the latest focus and build table calibration.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#5 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:58 am

Show a rinsed calibration print.

Robert

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#6 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:04 am

check the red platform for flatness... this is a problem that crops up , Take the complete platform as it is ,attached to the Black holder. Wash it so you don't get stuff all over...then put it on an absolutely flat surface like a counter top or glass. If there is any rocking... the platform is warped. Another check is to use a sharp edged ruler.
Put the ruler edge diagonally across the build table in both directions. If you see a gap on either side, the platform is warped.

Andreas and I both have ways to fix the flatness. He glues glass to the outside bottom of the platform.You will have to adjust settings everytime you do an update or when you reinstall the software.

My suggestion is to use 3mm aluminum glued to the inside of the platform ( you can also use glass)
and use a belt sander to carefully sand the red platform flat. With the material glued to the inside, you keep your settings completely stock...

Both methods work.

If your platform IS perfectly flat and you have problems, then you have to refocus and recalibrate.

Givengold
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#7 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:45 pm

Here is the rinsed print. Strange that the posts only printed as squares. The plus side was really stuck on the build table. The minus side seemed to hardly be attached at all. This is a 1.2 machine at 30 xy. All updates are in order.
Hard to think that the table may be warped after a year of acceptable use. I will double check that.
Attachments
image.jpeg

Givengold
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#8 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:46 pm

Also note the ragged edges.

Matt
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#9 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:01 pm

Looks extremely overexposed or the projector is out of calibration/focus. So long as the whole base is sticking and no corners or sides are peeling off, then your build table calibration is fine.

Givengold
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#10 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:11 pm

Matt,
I am repeating the focus now. If it were just over-exposed, wouldn't it be symmetrical? I'll post results of the next print shortly.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#11 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:22 pm

Are u doing the test print at default slope, fade, and balance.

Robert

Givengold
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#12 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:39 pm

I re-focused, reset build table. Same exact result. Could settings have been changed during an update? How do I reset fade and balance to default?

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#13 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:05 am

Start the B9 program > "Settings" > "Printer Settings" > bottom click on "Load factory defaults" > then click "Save Values" before closing.

Robert

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#14 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:05 am

Hi,
Earlier, I mentioned to check the flatness of your Platform. They do get bent and when they do,it makes it difficult to calibrate and get perfect prints.You can straighten them out, but the suggested fixes I mentioned earlier are permanent and never need to be done again.

From your photo, and your explanation, the print stuck to one side, but is practically floating free on the otherside. that points to slight warp in the table.

andreas
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#15 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:27 am

i agree with Metalcaster..
changing the settings will not solve anything if the table is wrapped..
check your table

Givengold
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#16 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:03 pm

I did check the table at four angles. Side to side, top to bottom and both diagonal corners. It is flat with my steel ruler. This last grow was evenly attached to the table, that's about the only good thing I have to say.
Should the build table sound like it is dragging a bit on the first couple of passes? I have re-calibrated the build table, but not adjusted the home position in the settings.
Last edited by Givengold on Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andreas
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#17 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:17 pm

do you still experiencing "struggling" of the vat in the first layers?

Givengold
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#18 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:35 pm

Yes, it is dragging on those first passes. After this calibration print, I will adjust the position in the software as was suggested earlier.
I noticed that all three of the calibration print files were changed in May of this year. Maybe the posts aren't there anymore? Must have been an update. I haven't used those files since I got the yellow resin in December and the posts were at the corners then. Now it seems to just be blocks. I just looked at the projection and see that it has indeed been changed to blocks at the corners. That is a bit of a relief. Doesn't seem quite as out of kilter as I had feared.

andreas
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#19 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:15 pm

changing the zhome position will fix that ..i do not think its a big issue..

Givengold
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#20 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:25 pm

First off, thank you Robert Howle for rescuing me with a quick print. My order will be in with him for a curing unit as soon as I regain confidence with my machine.
This is my latest print. Still not as crisp as my first prints when I set up this machine, but improved. Balance is off. Too much on the - side? Looks over- exposed there. Harder to tell on the fade. First thing to do will be to adjust home on the Z. Then looks like moving balance towards the +. How much should I adjust this initially?

Return to “Troubleshooting”