Calibration Grid looks "squished"

Software issues and solutions
josh814

Post#1 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:52 pm

So I've searched throughout the forum to try and find an answer to this but haven't found anyone else with this issue.

I've assembled everything and am currently at the calibration part of the build and have an issue with the grid not aligning to the projector (or I guess projector to the grid - see attached photo). I believe this is a screen resolution issue but have gone through the display settings and verified everything is 1024 x 768. Also made sure I printed 1:1 (no "fit to page").

One thing to note is that I recently moved and before I moved I had the projector hooked up via VGA. Now (post move) I have the projector connected via HDMI cable (I upgraded my video card because my VGA splitter wouldn't work - Dell's SFF computers apparently don't let you do this).
During the previous calibration process with the VGA cable, I was able to align the grid and everything looked good. But now I've upgraded the video card and have the projector hooked up via HDMI and it looks "squished". It aligns with the vertical lines (going forward and back) but not to the horizontal lines. I'm pretty certain its a display problem but am currently out of ideas/places to look. Please help.

brumbaer
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#2 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:11 pm

VGA uses an screen aspect ratio of 4 to 3. So if your wide side is adjusted to 10.24 cm your short side will be 7.68 cm long.
HDMI uses 16:9 . So if your wide side is adjusted to 10.24 cm your short side will be 5.76 cm long.

Easiest solution: go back to using a VGA cable.

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#3 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:23 pm

If you do dry run (start a print job, but no resin, table, etc) then the software should reset the projector to the correct aspect ratio.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

josh814

Post#4 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:11 pm

Mike,

I dry ran my first print and it looked correct on my monitor (currently connected via VGA cable thru a DVI to VGA connector - new video card has HDMI and DVI output). I went back and turned on the projector through the terminal utility and the grid still looked off.
Is the projector only reset when you send a job to the printer? or is it suppose to permanently reset it?... either way, I feel like I'm getting to the point where I might need to just man up and get a DVI splitter and hook my monitor up with a DVI cable and use my DVI to VGA connector to hook up the projector.... I'm just soo excited to finally get the time to get this all together and finally print! I can't wait.

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#5 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:44 pm

The HDMI stuff can be tricky and seems to vary from video board to video board.
Whenever we print, we reset the printer to the correct ratio, but it's possible the video card is somehow making the projector convert back to HD aspect ratio. You're sure the HDMI signal is 1024x786 native, (ie you should be able to output any images to the projector with the software not running at all and set the display properties to 1024x768)
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

Return to “Troubleshooting”