Leaving resin in VAT for future prints..

A lost wax capable resin tuned for 70 - 200 micron slice thickness
perpetual_dreamer
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#1 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:34 am

Is it recommended to leave unused resin in your VAT for a few days before reprinting again? I hear resin will be fine as long as it isn't exposed to direct light. What about the PDMS? will leaving the resin in the VAT for too long affect the PDMS anyway?

Also, when I first poured my resin for a print and observed from below, I noticed the resin flowing around pretty quick and freely.. However, in my second test print, I started noticing that resin had started to move around very slowly like it had gotten considerably thicker. Is it due to light bleed? I wouldn't say I had a completely failed print... Just that, my first test print stopped partway because my computer ran out of battery and wasn't plugged in the electrical outlet. I'm guessing during that process, the projector turned on and caused bit of the resin to cure? However, I did start my second print about 5 minutes after and it did print very well using the same resin, but it was just seemed very thick and flowed around very slowly... I'd guess had my print been bigger than 2cm, resin wouldn't have flowed around properly

tim.yoshi
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#2 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:02 am

I left my resin between first and second print for around 6-7 hours and it was just fine. How ever can't say about 2 days.

CarterTG
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:38 pm

In the course of playing with my machine since last year, there've been numerous times I've left the resin to sit for at least ten days if not considerably longer. The machine is never in a spot with direct sunlight. I suppose if I were paranoid about the orange filter's effectiveness, I'd probably throw a blanket over the machine when not in use. But I don't. And the resin hasn't shown me it's affected either way.

Somewhere around the 2 week mark, the B9R-1-Red's pigment starts settling revealing the upper strata of clear. My high-tech solution? Free the sweeper and gently wipe at the settled pigment to remix it. The subsequent printing action further agitates and re-mixes the resin.

Am I the laziest sack in here? You betcha.

Don't ask me how much prepping I did when I took a month-long overseas trip earlier this year.

tim.yoshi
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#4 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:37 pm

I was thinking about oxygen. It not possible that resin when left in the VAT will "eat" all the oxygen prom PDMS and then it will start to fade (become more opaque) ?

thebigconsultant
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#5 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:13 am

The Spot-HT settles in about a day, and much much much quicker than the B9R-1-Red.

I sometimes tilt the half full Vat and prop it up on one side, so that the higher part of the PDMS can breath between prints.

I tend not to leave resin in the Vat, however, I also have used a method similar to CarterTG. I took an old credit card, and I put the rubber wiper onto it, and used that to scrape up pigment from the bottom, and to oxygenate the PDMS.

If I do leave the Vat full overnight, I lower the build table down as low as it will go, as I suspect that some light can leak in at the top, but is less likely lower down. ... Also make sure that the build table is in "closed" position, so that light cant get in from the hole underneath.

tim.yoshi
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#6 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:09 am

Just wanted to say the same: "Also make sure that the build table is in "closed" position, so that light cant get in from the hole underneath."

:)

Return to “B9R-1-Red”