Red resin not curing, even in sunlight

A lost wax capable resin tuned for 70 - 200 micron slice thickness
john_depp
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#1 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:22 am

I bought a batch of the B9R-1 about a month ago and didn't have any luck after 3 prints, so I decided to do the base coat technique with a glass rod on the build plate. The thin layer of resin did not harden under my UV light, or even after I tried again in the sun for about 4 hours. The plate was perfectly clean and the resin was well mixed. Am I doing something wrong? I hope I'm not missing something obvious.

john_depp
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#2 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:38 am

To clarify, the resin on the plate is still sticky. When it says in the wiki that the "hardened" resin will not come off, does that mean that the build plate should have a totally solid layer on it?

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#3 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:50 am

What is your settings on this?
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

john_depp
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#4 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:42 am

I used the standard settings for 75nm using a 76.2 layer height for the first print but the sweeper door fell off. I made sure it was on properly and then tried again but the object came off the base plate about 20% through. Then I upped the exposure settings a decent amount (based off advice from another post, but I can't remember off the top of my head) and it still came off the base. So then I got a glass rod and applied a very thin layer to the build plate but I could not get the resin to cure with my UV light or direct sunlight to a totally solid, smooth texture. Its just really sticky now. Since I do not have experience with the resin, I was wondering if I was missing something.

john_depp
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#5 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:42 am

75 microns, not nm

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#6 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:18 pm

go back and try it again using default settings.
don't try and cure it on the build platform.
just use the default round flat bases that the supports generate.
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

KNSCi
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#7 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:03 pm

Consider:
mixing the resin well and let it settle before pouring it
try going back to Zero, ie recalibrate the table, double and triple check that all the steps are done right, us default settings, and so on.

When I run into confusing problems I start over from scratch and make sure all my variables are what I think they are, to have a reference point.

Post pics if you can.
ZLab3d, printing with B9Creator 1.1 & 1.2 since 2013

john_depp
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#8 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:27 am

Added the foundation and it worked fine; still not sure what the issue was, but all my prints have been fine since then, even without the foundations.

john_depp
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#9 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:28 am

Added the foundation and it worked fine; still not sure what the issue was, but all my prints have been fine since then, even without the foundations.

john_depp
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#10 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:28 am

john_depp
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#11 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:28 am

john_depp
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#12 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:51 am

whoa, not sure why that posted 4 times. anyway heres a picture of the E3D mount for my Ultimaker that I printed. On a side note, any suggestions on how I can prevent the sagging of the round section? As you can see, I tried a couple of supports but the curve is still distorted. I will crosspost this in the printing thread as well

http://imgur.com/jk7S2Zt

perpetual_dreamer
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#13 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:34 am

^ Your z axis is likely sticking .. That almost always results in sag, extreme banding or compressed/oval prints. Make sure you oil the guide rods and lead screw properly and calibrate the z axis clamp so there is no sticking issue. If you want to take it a further, you can also replace the 4 plastic bearings with two metal bearings like many of us have done here.. That has pretty much eliminated all of my z axis problems.

Return to “B9R-1-Red”