NuVat by Evert

Buy, sell or trade your 3D Printer items with others.
lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Re: NuVat by Evert

Post#101 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:01 am

Hi Robert,
I've printed exclusively with NuVats since June, 2014. The one exception was when I bought the Red Alum. Vat and it came coated.
So I used the PDMS until it fogged. Which was maybe three days of what I consider light duty. Meaning printing about 12 hours a day.
I print close to the full image area for 50 XYZ with a perforated build layer. I coat the image area with a drop of 10W-40 oil before each print. I filter the 1:1 resin and wipe the exposure area clean between each print.
The biggest problem for me is length of the second exposure, using default settings. I usually put a 3x5" card over the lens for the second half of the second exposure. This keeps me from changing default settings and results in a smooth launch to a print.
Then I walk away.
If I don't have an accident and damage the coating, it lasts 4-6 months.
For those slight accommodations, I get significant cost and time benefits with zero vat loss since changing to alum. vats.
The fact Evert lives 15-20 min. away is also a plus. : )
And if he didn't I'd just keep a few laying around for replacement purposes.

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#102 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:23 am

The trick is to rub a small amount of oil on the vat coating before printing. That does work. I did try that. From what I found, you have to do that every time, So I assume that you have to drain and clean the vat after every print so you can put the tiny amount of oil on it.
Is that right Larry?

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#103 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:36 am

Yes, you are right, Dan.
The work around is to take the vat out of the B9, elevate one end and let the resin go to the other end.
Use a squeegee to wipe the resin on the exposure area into the lower end of the vat.
Then oil, put back in the B9 and print.
I usually drain, as I filter between each print. A simple paper towel wipe, oil and launch another print.
Its a work flow choice for me. Its predictable, efficient with known costs. No surprises.
My biggest problem is operator error resulting in damaging the release layer. If the damage makes a bump, the build table may not
zero properly. When that happens, I use a #11 Exacto blade and cut the little boo boo out. If its outside the image area, no problem. If its inside the image area can you have issues over time. The cut out area will eventually tear due to wear from the blade. Resins that do not require a blade would be preferred in that case.
I may start a thread in the Tricks area to help people with this.
Thanks again, Dan for your posts re casting.
best,
Larry

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#104 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:40 am

Gustavo,
I hope to have a Kat Vat/NuVat to ship you by the end of this week.
No charge.
Your students will love it.
I look forward to seeing their work on the Forum.
By the way, do you have them modeling in Rhino? You know they give deep educational discounts and have curriculum
materials for 7th-12th Grade.
cheers,
Larry

RobertW
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#105 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:18 pm

I used the NuVat and liked it so much that I bought them for all 3 of our company's B9s. One associate has been using his for months and turns out great prints. The other guy installed his incorrectly and ruined it. I ruined my original NuVat, and Evert replaced it at NO CHARGE. Unfortunately the new one got ruined because of initial layers not being released and cured resin got dragged across the glass by the sweeper, damaging the coating. I replaced it and the next one did the same thing. I've got one unused NuVat glass left but I've been hesitant to use it because there are a couple of opaque specks of debris that are in the coating, and the fact that I got zero good prints from the last two hasn't exactly made me eager to try again. Since the debris spots are raised and can be felt, I worry that they will get caught by the sweeper and damage the coating which already has brush stroke ridges from how it was applied. I haven't discussed this with Evert but I will. He hasn't been the best with timely communication, but I've never found him less than honorable so I'm sure he will do whatever is needed to make it right. Meanwhile, I'm using the new orange vats and producing excellent models.

Metalcaster wrote:The trick is to rub a small amount of oil on the vat coating before printing. That does work. I did try that. From what I found, you have to do that every time, So I assume that you have to drain and clean the vat after every print so you can put the tiny amount of oil on it.
Is that right Larry?

This is the first I've heard about applying oil to the glass before each use. I'm no chemist, but my first thought is that it would affect the B9 resin in some negative way. Does it?? Still, I'm willing to try it if it eliminates the sticking issue. I would love to go back to the aluminum vat with NuVat glass and avoid the whole pdms fogging issue altogether.

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#106 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:03 pm

I tried the oil and it did work. Apparently Larry has been doing the oil for quite a while.It is a very small amount.... not sure if it will eventually have an effect on the material .
I also tried the oil on the pdms on a part that was giving me trouble and it worked... I don't do that often, so test at your own risk.

lobby
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#107 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:35 pm

Yep. Evert is an honorable guy.

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#108 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:42 am

The amount of oil I use for each print is a generous drop off a bamboo skewer I dip into the oil. Not very scientific, but it works. A little too much is better than too little. Slight beading is OK. I've done this with B9 Red, B9 Cherry, MadeSolid Black, and B9 1:1 mix. I see no negative effects at all.
I filter the resin from the vat back into my main container after each print.
I'm at 14 months with no recoating of PDMS.
Like PDMS, you do have to be careful about damaging the release layer. If I get a small something outside the print area, I cut it out with a #11 Exacto blade, and pull it out. I can then continue to print with that NuVat for weeks or months. If it is inside the print area, it gets problematic. It can create floaters and in time the blade causes a tear and the NuVat has to be replaced.
If some resin gets stuck to the release material during a print, DO NOT use your finger nail to remove. That will damage the release layer for sure. I use a plastic paint scraper and gently work it off. There is often little or no damage when doing this.
Evert just told me a technique he saw on another forum. Put a drop of resin on the stuck bit. Put a piece metal on top of it. Expose from the bottom. Pull off the metal and it will pull off the stuck bit. I have not done this, but it sounds like it could work.
It is also important to be careful about how you set up your build layers. Large solid rectangles covering most or all of the print area can cause sticking, even with oil. I use a randomly perforated build layer and print over about 90% of the available print area each time.
Attached is a screen shot from Rhino of the build layer template I use. I then attach my models to this and print away. The reason I use a build layer is that I print so many models at a time, five to 25, it allows me to handle them efficiently rather than one at a time. I could reduce the drag by dropping the build layer, but that would increase my handling time many times over. If you are printing a few models at a time, you could use a smaller build layer for each model. That would help to reduce drag at launch.
I use default settings, but cover the projector lens during the second half of the second exposure. The long second exposure is the hump. I could probably create a custom "Material" and edit the time, but I'm being lazy and covering the lens works.
I'm over waking up in the middle of the night wondering if the PDMS has failed again and ruined a vat 10 hours into a long print. I've had no vat killing release layer failure since using the NuVat.
Good installation is key. Evert would have to speak to the details regarding installation. I think some videos were on the table at one time. I will ask about that.
Attachments
B9 Perforated Build Layer.jpg

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#109 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:15 pm

Gustavo,
I will pick up your Kat Vat-NuVat from Evert this weekend and will send to you
on Monday.
Can't wait to see what your students can create with a B9.
Best,
Larry

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#110 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:03 pm

Hey Gustavo,
Monday was a holiday that snuck up on me.
So I shipped today.
You should have the Kat Vat/NuVat on Thursday.
cheers,
Larry

Return to “For Sale”